Tarp
    HammockGear CF
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + Lafuma TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Finally home in MN!!

hello HF,

Finally home for awhile on leave and want to take the wife on a decent day hike. I haven't been home for so long, I forgot a lot of good places with some decent hiking and hangouts. i brought our hammocks for a chill session but would like some good ideas on some local hikes. In the white bear area. and if anyone knows where i can get amsteel here, that would be awesome too.
    Corey Miller

"Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by HamptonHanger View Post
    hello HF,

Finally home for awhile on leave and want to take the wife on a decent day hike. I haven't been home for so long, I forgot a lot of good places with some decent hiking and hangouts. i brought our hammocks for a chill session but would like some good ideas on some local hikes. In the white bear area. and if anyone knows where i can get amsteel here, that would be awesome too.
    no one here carries amsteel.... or at least that I know of.

Afton State Park has good hiking and is only about 30 mins or so away. There is also Wild River State Park in Hudson, WI wich is about the same distance... it's got some nice water falls that you can hang by and swim in.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Speer, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps
    hello HF,

+1 on Afton State Park.

West Marine carries Amsteel. White Bear Boat Works looks like it also has some as well. May want to call them just to make sure though.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Agreed on Afton and Wild River River State Parks. Another one around the same distance from the metro area worth a mention is Lake Maria State Park near Monticello. All the campsites are backpack only like Afton. Nice quiet area to get out and camp without a long drive.

Hammock
    DIY table cloth
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    I agree with pizza regarding Lake Maria and Afton. Regarding amsteel, I bought some at west marine as mentioned above. They only carry it at the store in the western suburbs (forget exactly where, give them a call to confirm.)

Of course if you have a longer weekend the superior hiking trail is absolutely fantastic for hiking and camping. Can be busy along parts of it. Boundary waters goes without saying. Many of the other state parks along the St. Croissant river have hiking trails with car camping available as well so you may think about visiting them

Hammock
    DIY Claytor, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    DIY OGEE,WL BD
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Feebus View Post
    I agree with pizza regarding Lake Maria and Afton. Regarding amsteel, I bought some at west marine as mentioned above. They only carry it at the store in the western suburbs (forget exactly where, give them a call to confirm.)

Of course if you have a longer weekend the superior hiking trail is absolutely fantastic for hiking and camping. Can be busy along parts of it. Boundary waters goes without saying. Many of the other state parks along the St. Croissant river have hiking trails with car camping available as well so you may think about visiting them
    The store is in minnetonka...
    Lake Maria is nice.
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
    Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    That's cool to hear about the amsteel.... I've been in a bind before and called around and no one had any....or at least when I called the closest west marine they said they checked other local stores and none had it in stock. Oh well.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Senior Member Living the Highlife's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY 1.9
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + Lafuma TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the great advice fellas. Been so long since I've been home and hiked, so I took the advice and went to Aston state park. Soo many trails it was unreal. The wife and I had a blast. Thanks again!
    Corey Miller

"Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the great advice fellas. Been so long since I've been home and hiked, so I took the advice and went to Aston state park. Soo many trails it was unreal. The wife and I had a blast. Thanks again!
    Happy you had a good time. I'm headed there today to hike with my pup. It's a pretty place for sure.

Fronkey

• + New Posts