DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Caveman put on a nice tutorial for DIY tablecloth hammocks...

Reggie helped as well...

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Does anyone have the nutritional info on Amsteel?

More randomness...

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    And the obligatory Swedish Candle shots...

Thanks again to everyone for attending and to all those who put in the hard work to make it happen!

Hammock
    Dangerbird 11' Cobalt / Burgundy.
    Tarp
    Homemade Mega Ogee
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles
    What a wonderful weekend!

First thanks goes to Uncle Mike. It is through you that all of this happened. Your organizational skills, avid promotion of our hobby, and sheer charisma made all of this possible. Thank You!

And, I also want to give thanks for some of the best breakfast tacos in Texas. Those things are awesome! Your generosity was greatly appreciated by all.

Bob and Beverly, thank you for giving Jacob / Throkda an outlet! He's still almost giddy at all the teaching and babbling and explaining he got to do.

LostCause and Gracie: Thank you!

I am truly sorry, I'm great with faces but not with names...

To Buck: Thank you for playing and for letting me play with you. I had an absolute blast. It has been far too long since I got to knock off the rust. Hope I didn't mess you up too badly. :-D

Rat: Thanks for sharing some of your stories with us! We're never gonna be able to look at pvc pipe the same way again. Mrs Rat, thank you for the tip! I will have to try that.

And especially, Thank You to everyone who came with us on our little walk. That was the first time I've ever done anything like that and maybe next year I can get some real organization done and have something neat.

We are blessed to have so many wonderful people on here. I'd be writing a novel if I tried to take time to thank everybody. I will say that oh my god that dinner was amazing. When I got up there, I just tried to get a spoonful of everything, knowing whatever I tried was going to be amazing... and it all was.

Great food, campfires, music, fun stories, and more new friends at every turn... and a good night's sleep to round it all out. I can't wait til next year!

Hammock
    Dangerbird 11' Cobalt / Burgundy.
    Tarp
    Homemade Mega Ogee
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles
    Interesting information about some of the things we saw.

Y'all remember the lowly chickweed. Its a lot more useful than just for salad.

American Beautyberry. Ah, beautyberry. It is the deet of the woods! No, I'm not kidding. Remember, its the crushing of the leaves that releases the oils. So don't be gentle, CRUSH the leaf between your hands. Really rub and get it fully pulverized. This stuff works.

Now, as I said, I don't do many mushrooms. I'm still very much in my learning phase, but here is some good information.

We talked about the lotus flowers out in the lake. And the many uses of cattails.

We all tried and fell in love with our persimmons. Wish they were tasty for longer in the season. But you are able to get them store bought. For those folks interested in the recipe...

3½ cups sifted flour
    1½ teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    2 to 2½ cups sugar
    1 cup melted unsalted butter and cooled to room temperature
    4 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
    2/3 cup Cognac, bourbon or whiskey
    2 cups persimmon puree (from about 4 squishy-soft Hachiya persimmons)
    2 cups walnuts or pecans, toasted and chopped
    2 cups raisins, or diced dried fruits (such as apricots, cranberries, or dates)

1. Butter 2 loaf pans. Line the bottoms with a piece of parchment paper or dust with flour and tap out any excess.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

3. Sift the first 5 dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.

4. Make a well in the center then stir in the butter, eggs, liquor, persimmon puree then the nuts and raisins.

5. Bake 1 hour or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Storage: Will keep for about a week, if well-wrapped, at room temperature. The Persimmon Breads take well to being frozen, too.

Then, there's the stuff that grows everywhere in Texas... the ubiquitous Prickly pears. That stuff grows everywhere! Who knew it was so good to eat! And its good for you too! Anything from the cochineal insect where we get our red dye, to the paddles to the fruit

And this is just the beginning. There's more that I saw out there that I didn't mention because I couldn't remember the name. And I still had brainfreeze and choked a bit. I mentioned bullnettles and stinging nettle. I brought some chile pequin for folks to try.. yes, my hand has finally stopped burning from washing them. I didn't mention henbit or dollarweed or purslane. And I forgot to mention how neat ressurection fern really is.

Everywhere you look is food. You just have to open your eyes and pay attention. Thank y'all again.
    Last edited by Kattelyn; 11-12-2012 at 10:48.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    People, it was good to see all of you at what has become, in effect, a reunion. Thank you all, and I hope to see many of you soon @ Caddo.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Man, looks like it was a great time for all. Bummed I missed this one as it would have been a lot of fun meeting everyone...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    It was an awesome weekend. That's to all for being so great!
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    It's official we are cool... Texas parks and wildlife just uploaded on facebook about us hanging at Fairfield lake state park... Had a cool picture of someone's set up with the sunset in the background... Whose was it?

It is really cool set up. What you see is my 11' Smokehouse hammock along with his bug net. Underneath for warmth is my IX stuffed 5 in 1 Jerry Chair UQ by MacEntyre with the sunset on Fairfield Lake in the background. Glad you could be out there with us Brute1100.

Quote Originally Posted by Throkda View Post
    And hey UncleMJM, thanks for founding the Texas Hammock Camping Society! Do we need to take down the minutes at the meeting this weekend?
    Right. Imagine an interviewer getting something wrong. I explained we are NOT an organization and that we are a bunch of folks with a common interest. If we're a society, does that mean I have to drink out of my Nalgene with my pinky finger extended? Not gonna do it.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceweaseal View Post
    When someone, (caveman) is pushing a tree down on you, you move..
    Ninja like moves so its been said.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamVenture View Post
    SIGH!!!!!!

I'm so sad everyone. This poor college student just can't afford the trip down. Breaks my heart. I've been really looking forward to meeting everyone and snuggling down in the warmth and comfort that is the hammock community (and I guess my hammock as well). I've been throwing a temper tantrum in my head all week hoping that conditions would change to allow me to head down today, as planned. But, nope. Haven't bought groceries in 3 weeks, and well...

Anywho, I'ma stop complaining.

Y'all have an amazing time!!!! I can't wait to see the trip report and look at pictures and see the plans start up for next time.

I put my name into an Amsteel buy, I'll still purchase that. Who should I talk to about mailing that to me?
    Sorry you missed it. We had your space you requested saved for you. As mentioned earlier in the planning thread, the group buy is NOT a way to compete with the fine vendors here, simply a convenience and a little savings due to shared shipping. There will not be any mailing, this was an in person deal. Hopefully next year works better for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Throkda View Post
    Just heard back. Turns out he's not out of class till 2:30, and it's him, his SO, and their dog (Brock), and we don't have quite that much room. They say they've come to terms with not going this time, though, so it's all good.

Now we're properly on our way! Be there in an hour to an hour and a half.
    Thank you for trying Jacob! You and your bride are jewels. Glad you made it out again!

• + New Posts
  • Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast