Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Any experiences on MadTree Tarseer?

Hello guys! I've been having my eyes on this product and was wondering if anyone on these forums has got some past experiences about it? The concept sure looks interesting and I kinda like the way you don't apparently need any addittional sleepingbags or quilts with it but it'd be nice to hear your thoughts.

Oh and since I'm new here Hello to everyone!

Richard

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Images
    I don't know at over $600 you could have a hammock, underquilt, top quilt, a tarp to keep you dry, bug protection, and $300 in your pocket. Not to be a negative ninny, it does look like a cool idea.
    Hammocking, car camping, backpacking, kayaking, and mountain biking. Getting in touch with nature is getting expensive. Good thing I can DIY!

BurningDaylightOutdoors Ebay Store - http://www.ebay.com/usr/burningdaylightoutdoors1

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Interesting. Looks limiting in that you need 3 points to set the hang. A lot of times it hard enough to find the right 2 trees. The one quilt/bag fits all, seems that it would limit your temp range. Might be ok for sleeping but not for hanging out. It does not look like you would get a very flat lay.

S

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Looks like a short bridge hammock at 80 inches long
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Quote Originally Posted by Burning_Daylight View Post
    I don't know at over $600 you could have a hammock, underquilt, top quilt, a tarp to keep you dry, bug protection, and $300 in your pocket. Not to be a negative ninny, it does look like a cool idea.
    It's a good point that it's not probably the cheapest option but I was looking around and couldn't really find anything that would have similar properties for price comparison. I mean top and bottom quilts with total of 500grams (~18oz) of 800fp goose down aren't exactly cheap either? If you've got some suggestions I'd be glad to hear em

Sidewinder is probably right in that it's not really good for hanging out during daytime because of the insulation, I'm quite new to the whole hammock thing and really only got interested in it to save some weight when doing UL hikes but for me it'd be mostly just to stay warm and comfortable during the night. Is there other manufacturers with 3, or 4 -way setup? would be good to hear some actual user experience on how practical it is.

What do you mean it's short at 80inches? I'm about 70icnhes tall so it would seem like plenty?

Thanks for the input, it's given me something to think about

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Looks like an interesting take on the insulated hammock idea. It has most of the plusses of one: ease of use (well, quirky three-tree-needed suspension thing aside) and freedom from drafts.

On the debit side, it probably has the minuses of one and two extra: not so good for hot hangs (can't remove the insulation), possible issues with compression of the down when the body stretches but the quilt shell doesn't, odd triangular spacing on trees needed, and not usable as a lounger.

Not a terrible idea, and definitely an interesting one. I'd be interested in seeing a first-hand report or even handling one at a group hang, but I'm not about to go out and drop ~$600 on one any time soon. YMMV, though.

Well I decided to give it a go and ordered mine today, should take about a week to arrive so we'll see how it turns out to be

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    make sure to take and post plenty of pictures!

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Please give us the run down on it when you get it. Also pics if you can.
    "No whining in the woods"

I think it looks kind of interesting. From the pics on the website, it looks very much like a bridge (minus the spreaders) with an integrated top and bottom quilt. From reading, it doesn't sound like down compression will be an issue. They do note you can use it with two trees, one being shoulder width (bet you could rig an impromptu spreader bar at the head end if need be). A bit of a one trick pony given that you can't change the insulation for warmer temperatures, but in warmer weather you could sleep without the top zipped. Looks like you can get one with a bug net integrated. Wonder how their optional bug net (60gm) is built in?

A bit over 2#...not bad at all for both hammock and insulation (compare a 20F HG Burrow (21oz) and 20F Incubator (22.5oz) is 2.7# without the hammock--HG used only as a quick example, not meant to directly compare the two products). Might even be able to shave a little weight off the suspension depending on what cordage they use (EDIT: looks like they use 3mm Amsteel). The price really isn't unreasonable either given that a full length tq and uq (again using the HG 20F Burrow/Incubator as an example) you'd pay ~$450 without the hammock/suspension.

Length of 80" is quite reasonable (to me). I make my bridge hammocks 80-84". Looks like ~1.5oz/yd2 material for their weight bearing structure. Also pretty reasonable.

Nice that their pictures show the use of tree huggers unlike some companies.

I too would be interested in your experience BlackR once you receive it. Pics! Lots of pics!
    Last edited by BER; 07-24-2012 at 12:55.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast