Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Slowly learning...

Tried a variety of pads. Every pad I've owned from my ground dwelling days. Thermarest, Ridgerest, Zpad and 1/4" ccf cut a bit larger than the ocf HH pad. Pads alone in a HH just were not the best solution. Haven't tried a pad in a SPE. Became an under quilt convert. Also prefer a quilt over a sleeping bag. About the only pad that didn't really slip around too bad was the ccf pad.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Double Travel hammock
    Tarp
    ENO dry fly
    if it were me, I'd scrap the pad.

I havne't experienced cold enough weather from april to october in our part of the world to warrant any extra insulation beyond a sleeping bag.

I do plan on camping in some colder weather at some point, and an underquilt will be how I go about it. I don't sew, don't plan on learning, but know some people that do and will go that route.
    Josh

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Most people feel cool or cold on the bottom with out some kind of extra insulation when the temps drop much below 70°f or so.
    I use a BA insulated air core in the summer, & Exped DAM in the winter, along w/ an underquilt if it's very cold.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrumb View Post
    Pan - what would be a good example of a 'summer' quilt?

Jim
    Check out the JRB site - http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_fi...cts%20List.htm

The Stealth and Shenandoah are both summer quilts usable as top quilts or underquilts.

Warbonnet also makes synthetic underquilts. PM warbonnetguy for details.

Ed Speer makes PeaPods of different thicknesses that you may find suitable for summer, but his only underquilt is for colder temps. http://www.speerhammocks.com/

AFAIK, that's all that's available in the States, and ordering from Europe is more expensive than it's worth at the moment.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    Tried a variety of pads. Every pad I've owned from my ground dwelling days. Thermarest, Ridgerest, Zpad and 1/4" ccf cut a bit larger than the ocf HH pad. Pads alone in a HH just were not the best solution. Haven't tried a pad in a SPE. Became an under quilt convert. Also prefer a quilt over a sleeping bag. About the only pad that didn't really slip around too bad was the ccf pad.
    A thermarest in a Hennessy is like a greased pig. If you put it in an a Speer SPE, it works just fine.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Check out the JRB site - http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_fi...cts%20List.htm

The Stealth and Shenandoah are both summer quilts usable as top quilts or underquilts.

Warbonnet also makes synthetic underquilts. PM warbonnetguy for details.

Ed Speer makes PeaPods of different thicknesses that you may find suitable for summer, but his only underquilt is for colder temps. http://www.speerhammocks.com/

AFAIK, that's all that's available in the States, and ordering from Europe is more expensive than it's worth at the moment.
    Jeff,

By design, the SnugFit is a three season underquilt appropriate without supplemental insulation for most folks from 70F to 30F (used with a breathable hammock). We limited the loft so that it would not overwhelm you at moderate temperatures when you first start needing underside insulation. And if it does when you vent your topside insulation, you can always vent it by loosening the attachments. I use it in the summer and it works fine for me.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Dave - I didn't mean to criticize the SnugFit as being unable to perform in warmer temps. Most underquilts can be used in warmer temps by loosening the attachments, though the SnugFit certainly fits better than most underquilts. I just read the question as asking for underquilts specifically designed for summer temps, more like the 50F PeaPods than the 30 oz underquilt that's also suitable for 30F temps. Just different criteria, I guess.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Dave - I didn't mean to criticize the SnugFit as being unable to perform in warmer temps. Most underquilts can be used in warmer temps by loosening the attachments, though the SnugFit certainly fits better than most underquilts. I just read the question as asking for underquilts specifically designed for summer temps, more like the 50F PeaPods than the 30 oz underquilt that's also suitable for 30F temps. Just different criteria, I guess.
    That's fine Jeff, I just like to defend my design.

I think it is a unique and advanced design that addresses the needs of folks that want a reliable underside insulation that adjusts to them and covers a large surface area that accommodates more of the sleeping positions that people find comfortable. I have backpacked when people that used lighter, smaller surface area, flat underquilts (with significantly more loft when laying flat on the ground than the SnugFit) had to use supplementary closed cell foam pads to stay warm once the temperatures started dropping in the middle of the night when the temperatures were not particularly cold (especially for the loft of the underquilt they were using) because they could not master the adjustments, and got chilled quickly when they tried readjusting when they were already cool in the middle of the night. The irony is that you can’t always tell how well they are adjusted until the temperatures drop and that is an inconvenient time because you have to get up and get even cooler to try and improve the adjustments.

Once the weight and the bulk of supplementary insulation, and the fiddle factor of trying to make a flat underquilt efficiently fit the curved bottom of a occupied hammock (which it can’t always do, especially if you lay on a diagonal), then the tradeoffs for the additional weight and packed bulk of a wider usable area and better shaped underquilt with a suspension system that allows for more hassle free sleeping can seem like a bargain. That is the whole point of the design of the SnugFit Underquilt, but it does takes more weight and packed bulk to do that.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    That's fine Jeff, I just like to defend my design.
    Certainly, Dave. That's why all manufacturers are welcome here...one of the best sources of info about their products!

I've experienced what you're talking about a couple times - getting up in the middle of the night to adjust. And as you said, you can't always tell until it's already chilly. Doesn't happen often any more but it did several times when I was first learning. I had some posts about that here and on WB.

Bargains are all about trade-offs - cost, weight, bulk, fiddle factor, comfort, adjustability, etc. One day we'll have the holy grail...

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Walmart Blue
    Insulation
    Thermarest Prolite
    Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I think for now I am going to be sticking with the pad and sleeping bag method until I can get some money saved up for a better option (underquilt). I have looked at the SPE but cannot understand how it is easier to get it under you and keep there than a Thermarest would be. Sewing a pad sleeve could be an option for now though if I can find someone to sew it for me. I think what it really boils down to is that I need to d some more testing with different configurations to determine what is best for me.

Thanks Again everyone for your suggestions.
    HOPTOAD
    Last edited by HOPTOAD; 09-29-2008 at 09:02.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast