Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Great review, very thorough!

Reminds me a lot of the Chrysalis. Including weight. Looks very comfy.

I guess it does not have a pad pocket, neither does the older Chrysalis. If there was a pad pocket dbl layer, it would probably work just as well with a pad as the BMBH does.

Clearly you would need a separate tarp to keep an UQ dry, if you can get an UQ to fit OK.

Thanks for the god info!
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Great review, very thorough!

Reminds me a lot of the Chrysalis. Including weight. Looks very comfy.

I guess it does not have a pad pocket, neither does the older Chrysalis. If there was a pad pocket dbl layer, it would probably work just as well with a pad as the BMBH does.

Clearly you would need a separate tarp to keep an UQ dry, if you can get an UQ to fit OK.

Thanks for the god info!
    I dont consider my info to be Godly but your welcome

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    McCat Ultra
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Dutch Clip
    Images
    Originally Posted by WV View Post
    How long has this hammock been around?

This was the first camping hammock that I ever owned. I bought it around 2003. I didn't like the way it tipped over whenever you put something inside of it. Of course, I didn't have the tie outs placed like I should have. It also did not come with any way to attach it to a tree.

My first night in it I learned about how cold you can get without anything under your back. I don't think that I tried it ever again. Relegated it to the closet. Within a few months I had purchased an HH Explorer. I never pulled the BRCH out again.

Maybe it's time to try it again. I figure that I have learned a lot more about hammocks in the past eight or nine years.

Don't argue with the alligator until after you cross the river.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BackPackHiker View Post
    I dont consider my info to be Godly but your welcome
    OOPS! Danged typos!
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.

Since Lawson seems to be the only hammock that can also act as a bivy, I am thinking that the Chrysalis and the BMBH have to have some really trick features to surpass this added value. Looking forward to the other tests and impressions! Cheers.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ghpacific View Post
    Since Lawson seems to be the only hammock that can also act as a bivy,
    Who told you that?

Plenty of hammocks tout their bivy-ability. Hennessy used to push that strongly in their marketing and there is even an active thread on using the Switchback from TTTG as a bivy. Blackbirds have also enjoyed bivy-use discussions here, plus a few others.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope
    Quote Originally Posted by ghpacific View Post
    Since Lawson seems to be the only hammock that can also act as a bivy, I am thinking that the Chrysalis and the BMBH have to have some really trick features to surpass this added value. Looking forward to the other tests and impressions! Cheers.
    I am assuming that you mean Bridge style hammocks?

otherwise the above that what Cannibal mentioned, and the DD Travel hammock is an excellent bivy.

Quote Originally Posted by BackPackHiker View Post
    I am assuming that you mean Bridge style hammocks?

otherwise the above that what Cannibal mentioned, and the DD Travel hammock is an excellent bivy.
    That's what I meant. I was just working within the parameters of the 3 hammocks originally being tested. This test will decide what hammock I end up buying as my one and only. They all seem to be excellent choices, so it helps to have some real world reviews. Thanks!

Images
    There used to be pics of the BMBH being used as a bivy at their web site, but I can't find them now. Should work just fine though.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl HB noseeum modified
    Tarp
    WB BMJ, HH hex
    Insulation
    winter incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I have one of these, though I haven't used it in a couple years. I put an amsteel loop and webbing cinch buckle suspension on mine. I used some fabric glue to put a few squares of velcro to address the wandering pad problem (I used a windshield reflector/reflectix pad) but eventually just started putting my thermorest inside my sleeping bag. Also, mine came with a bunch of little clips for securing the edge of a pad. I never tied mine out or had it capsize with me in it. It is pretty heavy but you have to compare its weight to what would be a similar setup of a hammock, tarp, bug net, and weather undercover(the bottom is waterproof). The weight didn't bother me nearly as much as the bulk. It is not very pack friendly. I might give it a spin in the pulk this winter, though.