Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 Dual Layer
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down

Incubator overfill

I am going to order an Incubator underquilt in the next few days. I am trying to decide between a zero and 20 degree UQ and wanted some feedback. Also, what affect does the overfill have? I live in Massachusetts and just ordered a Warbonnet Superfly for cold weather hanging in my WBBB. So I ask, what incubator would be recommended and should I get any overfill in it and why.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Generally, one ounce of overfill is roughly equal to 5º of comfort rating. From what I understand, the denser down with overfill, also acts as a more effective wind barrier. I ordered my 20º Incubator almost 2 years ago before I understood this. If I order another one, I would add 1-2 oz of overfill, as in winter conditions, it is more likely to be windy.

Others may correct me if I am presenting this incorrectly, but that's it, as I understand it.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    How low do you go ? Do you plan to camp out when it is above 20 degrees or do you plan to go out when it gets down to 0. You can vent the UQ if is too warm but it is harder to stay warm if the temps go below the gears rating.

Recommend testing your gear in the back yard or in place where you have an escape plan in case it does not work as planned before you head out into the woods.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    My wife has a zero incubator and uses it vented with light weight top insulation options in temperatures as high as the 50s. I would want an all around underquilt that will keep me nice and warm in weather down in the 30s and 20s at night. A 20 incubator sounds nice but I would almost rather be a bit warmer from underneath me than the opposite. So Buffalo Skipper, are you saying that a 20 incubator with 4 oz of overfill would at 20 degrees of comfort rating? Gunner, I usually go for 2 nights at a time. I live in New England and love being out in cold weather. Realistically I don't see myself actually hanging in 0 degrees but I would love being warm in the 20s when I would see myself being out there. I like sleeping light in shorts and t-shirt. Thanks for all the feedback, perhaps a 20 incubator with overfill would be a better all around underquilt since it could be used more in the spring and early fall here... hmmm

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl & DIY 1.5 Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben Baby !
    Insulation
    Phoenix's&Burrow's
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mp3prozac View Post
    So Buffalo Skipper, are you saying that a 20 incubator with 4 oz of overfill would at 20 degrees of comfort rating?
    What you wil find with the cottage manufacturers is the ratings they put on gear are what the majority of people will be nice and warm at. Unlike the mainstream companies than do the whole EN rating thing, Extreme, Comfort etc.

Basically a 20°F quilt will be warm at 20°F. Not boarderline, not extreme rating. I guess you could say the comfort rating is 20°F standard. A lot of people take the HG quilts below the rating without any overfill at all and stay nice and warm. It's an individual thing for many. Depends if your a warm or cold sleeper and only you can answer that one.

A little overfill might boost the temp rating, maybe 5-10°F depending on how much fill. But too much overfill is a deminishing return. You might as well order a warmer quilt with higher baffles if you chase too much extra fill.

For me I like 1-2oz extra fill. It's gives you a little room on the rating and they loft up nicely. With a little overfill I know that at the rating, I'm perfectly fine. If temps gets a little lower than predicted, I'll be okay. If it's really rainy/damp/humid, The quilt should still loft fine.
    I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Just wanted to give props to Adam aka Stormcrow. I contacted him directly with questions and he was very prompt and informative with his replies. Very impressed with his products and service and like Brandon over at Warbonnet, they have gained two customers who will be purchasing many an item this coming year. I foresee multi temp incubators, pheonixs, and burros... :-) Best of all, my wife loves it all as much as I do.

Hammock
    Clark UL
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    0*Burrow 20*Phoeni
    Suspension
    Whoopi
    I'm going to order the Phoenix 0 degree in the next few days. I tend to be cold so I want to stay toasty without bulking up with clothes

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    That sound like a good choice!
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    I, too, am considering getting a set - a 0* UQ (still deciding on 3/4 vs Full Length) and a 0* Burrow. I am also in New England, but also have hung in New Jersey in the winter, and NH, VT, and ME. I am a cold sleeper, and I want the extra warmth! Rather have it and not need it .... my decision on 3/4 vs Full length is the quandary over ease of adjustment for tight fit to the hammock, the weight difference (specifically for a backpacking situation), and packing volume. Still undecided there, but will probably go with the full length. I hate being cold. I can make the adjustments, and carry the extra weight for comfort. The weight should not be a winter consideration unless true carry-backpacking - otherwise I will use my Pulk and drag it all behind me anyway, so no worries there!

~ Sky
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    All HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchHook
    I just received my Incubator 20F with 2oz of overfill. Great quality and easy to use suspension. I'm about to test it tonight with a low of 54F so I'll let u know tomorrow how it goes.

• + New Posts