Can I hang on my porch?

I'm trying to see if hanging on my porch is going to be possible. It is roughly 13'x8' giving it a 15.26' diagonal. So there's room. I just need to figure out if there is enough structural support.

I am 165 lbs, and I was thinking of getting these hooks from IKEA (down the street from me)

Here is a picture of the corner of my porch, with my hand for scale. The other inside corner does not have a door next to it. What I don't know is if this is paneling or if it is a solid beam.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345073563.041792.jpg

Here is the vertical beam on the outer corner. It appears to be a solid beam.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345073599.259262.jpg

I think the outer corner (2nd pic) is solid and should work well. Any way to tell if my inside corner (1st pic) is strong enough?
    Last edited by FightingTheTide; 08-15-2012 at 18:45.
    For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Cor. 4:5-6

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    HD brown/silver
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Marlin/whoopie
    I would not trust it.... Hardy board is not very good at holding stress. It tends to crack/shatter easy. The end caps (corner boards) will also become weak if moisture is allowed to enter through any opening. If you could anchor your eye hooks deep enough to grab the 2x4 on the structure corner you may be fine. (my 2 cents)

NO! NO ! NO!
    Not in the Hardy Plank.......
    You would be better off just getting a stand or making a DIY stand.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceweaseal View Post
    NO! NO ! NO!
    Not in the Hardy Plank.......
    You would be better off just getting a stand or making a DIY stand.
    That's not Hardee Plank. It is engineered wood siding. Wood fibers bonded together i.e. Georgia Pacific.

Unless you can get through the siding and trim into structural wood framing, don't try it!

You would have to use something like this http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...uct.do?pid=212

Images
    i used 6" by 1/2" stainless eyebolts, but i hit the studs (1890 2-4 studs). unless you hit studs i would not try it. can't a carpenter tell you where the uprights are. that corner has got to have something.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The siding looks just like the Hardy board I sided my house with and I would not trust it to hang from. The end caps regardless of the material will not be stong enough unless you can get some lag screws into a 4x4 stud and I don't think you will have that as most hosues use 2x4's..
    You are better off making a hammock stand. Lots of DIY stand info on the forum
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    I don't like it. Unless you can penetrate to substantial substructure I would not try it.

Very hard to assess from photos. If you have a friend who is a competent carpenter I say don't try it.

(Advice from an ersatz carpenter...)
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Okay, not gonna do it. Thanks for the advice! I'll start looking through DIY stand threads.
    For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Cor. 4:5-6

• + New Posts