Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

GSMNP: final trip before school started

I was able to take the wife and kids up to the GSMNP earlier this month as one last family fling before getting settled back into the school routine. We arrived Saturday afternoon and left Thursday morning.

The tempature was almost perfect and we survived a couple of small showers that moved through the area. We heard one storm moving in the 4th night, but it bypassed us with only some drizzle and wind gusts.

The kids took part in a handful of the Junior Ranger programs and I took them on a few short hikes. I think they are ready to tackle some longer trips. Mrs. STinGa was able to sit back and relax with some books and had a good time. We didn't see quite as many animals this time as we have in the past, but no real complaints.

For some reason, I didn't have my tripod when I hopped out at this stop. I was pushing my limits hand holding the camera for this exposure. It turned out ok though.

A shot from above the clouds. Just inside the NC side of the park from the Newfound Gap area.

A fawn (following Mom just outside of the pic) on the Cade's Cove loop drive. It was tiny, only about knee high to me.

An elk not too far from the Smokemont camping area.

GSMNP entrance on the Cherokee, NC side.

To keep this hammock related, I did sleep in my DIY DL 1.1 two of the nights. It was much better than ground sleeping, but Mrs. STinGa and I alternate which parent has to run the youngins to the bath house after nightfall for any nature calls.

For some reason, I had a problem with my quads when I got up. They both almost cramped on me. The only hang-able trees in the site were too close together and I couldn't get as good of hang as I wanted. Don't know if that may have been the problem.

Hope you enjoy the pics,
    STinGa
    Last edited by STinGa; 08-09-2012 at 03:24. Reason: typo
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Great pics, STinGA. Glad you and the family were able to get away. I'm curious about the quad question and if anyone else has some answers for you. Did you do any steep climbs? Did you notice a difference on the nights you weren't in the hammock?

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Les,
    Glad you liked the pics. My work computer's firewall blocks me from photobucket, so I had to post thru the HF gallery. Don't know if they will show up as small thumbnails or larger.

The hikes I did were pretty mild, so I am guessing they were not the problem. When I have had cramping issues, it was usually the calf area. And, my pee seemed normal, so I am not looking at any dehydration concern. I am leaning toward the less than perfect hammock lay. The trees were just too close together. Although, I felt like I was able to get settled in pretty comfortably. We shall see if anyone chimes in will similar experiences.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Smokemont is a better campsite for the kids and the ranger programs offered. And also closer to more activities as its not off the beaten path so to speak...On that side of the park,,about 25 or so miles above you is the Balsam Mt. Campground in the GSMNP..lots of wildlife early in the mornings and late evenings up and down the road into it..and lots of places to hammock hang..check it out next time. Its at 5300 ft elevation and very nice camping,,but you have to be prepared for the weather at the high elevations also. Nice pics and glad you had a good time
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Raven by Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by STinGa View Post
    Les,
    Glad you liked the pics. My work computer's firewall blocks me from photobucket, so I had to post thru the HF gallery. Don't know if they will show up as small thumbnails or larger.

The hikes I did were pretty mild, so I am guessing they were not the problem. When I have had cramping issues, it was usually the calf area. And, my pee seemed normal, so I am not looking at any dehydration concern. I am leaning toward the less than perfect hammock lay. The trees were just too close together. Although, I felt like I was able to get settled in pretty comfortably. We shall see if anyone chimes in will similar experiences.

STinGa
    First off, cool pictures. my dad wants to do some frontcountry camping soon at Elkmont.

Second off, if you aren't dehydrated and you are cramping in your sleep maybe your body has low potassium? I'm not a doctor, so I'm not sure if this is possible. Maybe it also possible you didn't sleep with a flat lay and your muscles stayed in same area so long it fell asleep and all? Again, I work in finance not medical.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Nice pictures! can't wait for cooler temps to go hang around GSMP.

RE; the cramps in legs. I got them - but I think my issue was hiking hikinghiking - then plopped my butt on a chair in front of camp fire - stiffened up - crawled in hammock & fell asleep. woke up at 0230 with nasty leg cramps. also did not hydrate enough before I went to sleep.

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

Balsam is nice

Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    25 or so miles above you is the Balsam Mt. Campground in the GSMNP..lots of wildlife early in the mornings and late evenings up and down the road into it..and lots of places to hammock hang..check it out next time. Its at 5300 ft elevation and very nice camping,,but you have to be prepared for the weather at the high elevations also. Nice pics and glad you had a good time
    We checked Balsam out last fall and drove down the forest service road heading back to the Smokemont area. This trip was geared more for the activities and we wanted to be closer in, but we do plan on camping there.

ShadowAlpha, the temps were great. Warm, but not too hot. After midnight we had to pull on the poncho liners, but nothing more.

I am hoping to get at least one more over nighter in before the temps really drop.
    STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Equinox 10 X 12
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season UQ
    Enjoyed the pics, especially the one from above the clouds. I've been up in that area and have seen the Elk too. Thanks for the report.
    "Sometimes only nature felt real, while all human monuments and actions seemed to be the settings and the plots of dreams"

"So many people live in the past or the future and betray the present."

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Great pictures! Always great to get the kids out and the Jr Ranger programs are very good. I spend a week each Summer at Smokemont fishing and exploring the area. Can't wait to get back up there.

• + New Posts