Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
    ...anything you'd care to comment on here, Cannibal?
    Nope. Not yet.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Ah, come on, man...we know you were a beta tester! Brandon must have sworn you to secrecy! Just a little hint?
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    This thread is about the BMBH, not the Warbonnet rig.
    There is another thread for those rumors.
    Trust nobody!

In Hamhocker's opinion the JRB bridge hammock is the best thing out there since sliced bread. Yeah it is heavier than other hammocks but to her she gets a better nights sleep in it than any other hammock.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    This thread is about the BMBH, not the Warbonnet rig.
    There is another thread for those rumors.
    I stand corrected, sir. Thread hijack attempt now ending....
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Acer makes a good query/point.
    I think a given bridge hammock is designed for a certain width spreader..use a wider spreader displaces the hammock elsewhere kind of thing.
    I'm sure the bridge experts will comment on this-hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Question.....if shoulder squeeze is a minor problem,,then why couldn't you increase the head spreader bar a couple of inches to compensate? By rigging your hiking pole at the head,,you could do this in some moderation??? To see if that worked,,then order a spreader bar from one of the material sources I read about on the forum posts after finding out...I realize it might shallow the head end up a dash..but would this be a workable solution?
    The length of the top edge of the end cap limits the distance that the two corners can be spread. If one were to modify the end cap (i.e cut it--probably in the middle), you could widen the spreader and then add a patch to the end cap to close the resultant gap. I think I remember seeing a thread a long time ago where someone did just that. But, that would then prevent the bug netting from fitting correctly, and you would have to alter your hang somewhat as the head end would slope up to a small degree (if the hammock was hung such that the spreaders were at the same height as is the norm with the stock BMBH).

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
    I still have my BMBH, but I have never been able to spend an entire night in it due to the shoulder squeeze issue. I have a fusion at c5-c6 and it just plain hurts after a while in the BMBH. I won't give it up, however, because it is a great hammock and hope springs eternal.

Sweeper
    The "shoulder squeeze" or perceived squeeze is a funny thing. Size has been mentioned ( even by me ) as a contributor to the Sh.Sq. But my wife weighs ~ 90-100 lbs less than me, and a lot shorter also, and I remember she said she felt it! She is petite, at least compared to me. ( EDIT: nope, she is petite period )

Remember, the #1 reason I returned my 1st one was because I didn't think I was going to be able to get past the squeeze. Which was really disappointing because I could immediately tell that the BMBH 100% solved all of those irritating waist/leg problems ( minor but sometimes major) that I had with my other hammocks. But with those other hammocks I had zero shoulder issues. Anyway, it took time, but I finally figured out that what was jumping out at me as "shoulder squeeze/run away" was not actually a squeeze like I have felt in a too tight gathered end. It was rather that my shoulders were assuming the curved shape of the hammock, the exact same position they are in as I lay my arms across my chest ( right hand touching left chest, left hand laying over right bicep). A more or less normal sleeping position for me anyway. The only difference being that when crossing my arms like this in my recliner or bed, nothing is in contact with my shoulders. They are actually lifted up slightly off of the bed. In my BMBH, if flat on my back and with no pad, the hammock is definitely in contact with my shoulders. But it is only contact, not an uncomfortable squeeze, no pressure. But that is just me, others have a much more negative reaction, as I did years ago.

Sweeper, are you using a good pillow? Maybe even a pillow that extends under your shoulders, elevating your torso a bit, up to where there is a little more shoulder room? Pillows are way more useful for me in my original BMBH than in any of my other hammocks.

Or how about a small section of 26" wide pad? I don't know if CCF pad, especially if thin, would work as well as my 25" wide TR inflatable. But with that pad, I have ZERO shoulder contact with the hammock.

And of course, there is the old turning even slightly side ways, maybe even laying back into the side of the hammock for support. With a good pillow of course. And last but not least, just sleeping on your side, all for avoiding any so called shoulder squeeze at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    In Hamhocker's opinion the JRB bridge hammock is the best thing out there since sliced bread. Yeah it is heavier than other hammocks but to her she gets a better nights sleep in it than any other hammock.
    There you go, it just all varies with the user. I suppose she does not have any shoulder issues? Either that or just makes it a moot point by sleeping partly or fully on her side? Have you ever tried it?

Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    The length of the top edge of the end cap limits the distance that the two corners can be spread. If one were to modify the end cap (i.e cut it--probably in the middle), you could widen the spreader and then add a patch to the end cap to close the resultant gap. I think I remember seeing a thread a long time ago where someone did just that. But, that would then prevent the bug netting from fitting correctly, and you would have to alter your hang somewhat as the head end would slope up to a small degree (if the hammock was hung such that the spreaders were at the same height as is the norm with the stock BMBH).
    I think Mule did this, and got more shoulder room out of it.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-10-2012 at 07:40.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I got the BMBH UL,,and I must say that I am very impressed...and delighted!!! This hammock is a work of art..and have played with it now about 4 hrs,,tried 3 diff UQ's on it,,and they all fight snug as a bug in a rug...!!! Very impressed with the way the quilts fit this hammock..I have the RL set at 105,,(8' 9") and have a Dutch biner on the end of the RL to disconnect it if I want. The bug net with RL set there is a dash loose but not in my face and can live with it like that as quilt will loft it up in the middle which is fine by me. I have a very small dash of shoulder squeeze on my back,,but its no different when I am laying on my back in any of my other end gathered hammocks. For tonite,,have it hung inside the living room and will sleep in it in front of air conditioner with the 50 degree Jarbridge on it loose. Cold front coming thru tonite so will hang outside tomorrow nite and Sat nite and test it out with cuben tarp and snap some picks with a couple of the UQ's on it also. This hammock could be the perfect lay for me and hope so cause I really like it alot.

To answer my previous question for Medicine Man,,,you would have to pull a total modification on the hammock material itself to put a longer spreader bar on the UL including the bug net I am thinking,,then again as it gets broken in,,,and all the stretch is finally out of it,,there might be enough room to expand the spreader bar at the head to allievate shoulder squeeze..will just have to give it a few nites of "break in" and see how that might work out and will keep ya's posted.

My wife is big boned,,and broad shouldered,,and when she tried it,,as soon as she laid in it about a minute,,she didn't want no part of it as she didn't like the shoulder squeeze,,she is alittle chubby so the fit on this is pretty important I think for a person of her stature. I can't get her to try anything as she is hung up on her skeeter beater pro with the side tie outs..

Jacks has a very nice product in this hammock and alot of work in it,,very nice workmanship. And I love their service and quick shipping.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Sweeper, are you using a good pillow? Maybe even a pillow that extends under your shoulders, elevating your torso a bit, up to where there is a little more shoulder room? Pillows are way more useful for me in my original BMBH than in any of my other hammocks.

Or how about a small section of 26" wide pad? I don't know if CCF pad, especially if thin, would work as well as my 25" wide TR inflatable. But with that pad, I have ZERO shoulder contact with the hammock.

And of course, there is the old turning even slightly side ways, maybe even laying back into the side of the hammock for support. With a good pillow of course. And last but not least, just sleeping on your side, all for avoiding any so called shoulder squeeze at all.
    Truly, I never tried doing the pad thing since I am dedicated UQ guy. I guess I should try it with one of my old Thermarests or a piece of CC pad. I just hate having to take extra stuff with me when I hike. I'll get it out of the hammock box and see what happens when I hang it and try those additions.

Sweeper

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast