Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
    Truly, I never tried doing the pad thing since I am dedicated UQ guy. I guess I should try it with one of my old Thermarests or a piece of CC pad. I just hate having to take extra stuff with me when I hike. I'll get it out of the hammock box and see what happens when I hang it and try those additions.

Sweeper
    Just be sure and use a wide pad if you can. All you need is torso sized. Again, I'm not sure if a CCF will open it up as much as an inflatable, or even at all. Maybe if it is thick enough. I'm looking forward soon to trying it with one of those wide TR Neoairs. Good luck! Hope you can get it to where it does not hurt your neck fusion!

Hammock
    BMBH & Thermarest NeoAir All Season
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I want to weigh in on the original "bad review" question.

When I first got my BMBH, I took it out in Feb on the AT in Va. I took it out with a MWUQ and slept warm, but did not like the shoulder squeeze issue and was not as happy as I thought I was going to be. I thought I was going to have to return it, but I decided to take it out one more time - this time with an inflatable pad.

This changed my opinion on the hammock 180 degrees. The pad held the laying surface flat much like the design of a suspension bridge road bed (hmmmm....I think they named this hammock after a bridge somewhere). Whala..., no shoulder squeeze. The pad I used was a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core with PrimaLoft. The insulation is just on one side of the pad that allowed me to place the insulation next to laying surface. Thus I slept as warm with the pad as I did with the UQ. And the pad packed down smaller than the UQ with the compression strap. So I gained a better sleep and a smaller pack size. Downside to this set up is that the pad was 2 oz heavier than the UQ.

Keep in mind, this pad is only 20" wide, but wide enough to form that laying surface I was needing. This past July hike, I used the pad also and just turned the insulating surface towards the ground. I was happy to report, I did not overheat and slept just as good as my previous experiences.

I think a lot of the questions on the pad vs. the UQ will depend on how warm you naturally sleep. For me, I guess I have enough body fat to compensate for the difference in insulating value of the UQ over the pad. Bottom line for me is that the pad arrangement is far superior to the UQ and gives me an unmatched sleep that I cannot duplicate in any other hammock or tent.

So the real lesson on this hammock is to give it some time to figure out how best to use this set up, much like BillyBob on his first go around.

Images
    Fullcount: Thanks for more very useful info on the fascinating subject of the use of a pad in the pad pocket of a JRB BMBH. What is unique about your post is that you used a 20" pad! Is there any other hammock out there where any one claims that not only is it just as comfy with a pad, but that the over all comfort is even improved? I have long been claiming that the BMBH is hands down the best hammock for me to use a pad with. But there actually are a few that seem to think it is equal to an UQ in comfort, and even a couple or 3 ( like you ) who feel the overall comfort is actually improved. Amazing!

Did you find any comfort downsides using the pad? Sweat or condensation? Obviously shoulder comfort was improved, but what about over all comfort? Any decrease? About the same, better?

Using that 20" pad, did you have much trouble with cold shoulders or any thing cold? Have you tried a CCF pad?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    There you go, it just all varies with the user. I suppose she does not have any shoulder issues? Either that or just makes it a moot point by sleping partly or fully on her side? Have you ever tried it?
    She sleeps on her side, back and stomach. She has some broad shoulder for a lady but has never complained about the shoulder squeeze. She is 5'8" and weighs 160 (she said I could say that..whew). The bug net doesn't get in her face at all. If she raises up she can see out of the side of the hammock.

I tried the hammock for a few minutes but have never slept in it.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    BMBH & Thermarest NeoAir All Season
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    "Did you find any comfort downsides using the pad? Sweat or condensation? Obviously shoulder comfort was improved, but what about over all comfort? Any decrease? About the same, better?

Using that 20" pad, did you have much trouble with cold shoulders or any thing cold? Have you tried a CCF pad?"

As I previously stated, I prefer to sleep with the 20" wide BA pad over the UQ. The comfort for me is like night and day over just using an UQ. I would not think about laying in a JRB BMBH without a pad. I guess you could always add the UQ to your ensemble if you are a cold sleeper, but I would not want to carry the UQ in addition to the pad.

As far as cold shoulder, I still sleep in my Marmot Never Winter 30 down bag and do not experience this issue. Keep in mind, in the winter, I normally have on my long johns (both tops and bottoms) and a dry pair of wool socks. I normally have to do a 3 AM run and do not want to be too cold when I have to make this run. When I am in the sleeping bag, with my woolies and a head cap, the only thing that gets cold is my nose....but they have not made a quilt big enough for that yet.

Please keep in mind that I am trying out different systems for a thru hike in 2016 and my mindset is finding the system that will work for me on that trip. When I use the BMBH with he pad, I have it in the back of my mind, that if weather is real nasty and I have to go the shelter..., the pad and the sleeping bag go with me and I leave the hammock hanging til the morning. I essentially am prepared for both systems. And I like the BA pad because the material is a bit more substantial than the Neo-Air mattresses. I hope this will translate into a lesser chance of poking a hole in my pad should I be on the shelter floor.

On my current configuration, I have had no condensation on my back during the summer or inside my hammock between the hammock and sleeping bag (at least that I have noted). On the CCF pad, I have a short green thermarest pad that I have considered taking, but the shoulder cold issue did not warrant the bulk. Bottom line for me is...yes the pad is more comfortable than the UQ - hands down.
    Last edited by fullcount; 08-10-2012 at 17:31.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    You might want to consider this pad, or the Torso-only version of it. The air baffles run left-to-right, rather than head-to-toe, so the pad stays flatter. You can deflate the pad and leave it in the sleeve when the bmbh is packed up. This pad is insulated.

Haven't tried the Big Agnes pad mentioned above...so cannot comment on that one.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=56201
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    winter lynx
    my bmbh is great. only complaint is I am 6 foot 3 and bridge is 6 foot 3. touching both ends is a bit uncomfortable.

I have been contemplating adding a 6 inch extension box on one or both ends for
    head and foot room and storing extra clothing.

maybe JRB will offer a long model. That would be great!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by senecio-joe View Post
    my bmbh is great. only complaint is I am 6 foot 3 and bridge is 6 foot 3. touching both ends is a bit uncomfortable.

I have been contemplating adding a 6 inch extension box on one or both ends for
    head and foot room and storing extra clothing.

maybe JRB will offer a long model. That would be great!
    That's the only reason I haven't ordered a BMBH, I'm too tall for it. I'm under the weight limit just fine, but over the height limit by about 3".

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123