Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope

Thumbs up There has never been a Bad Reveiw

Has there ever been a bad review on the BMBH? I feakin love mine, it is easily one of my favorite hammocks. I havent seent a negative review on it though. This leads me to believe it is one of the best hammocks so far. Tell me if I am wrong?
    Last edited by BackPackHiker; 08-09-2012 at 11:39.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I've never seen an outright "bad review", but certainly plenty of people have tried the JRB bridge and decided it wasn't the right hammock for them. Usually the negatives have centered around a few things:

- shoulder squeeze
    - bug netting close to your face
    - width of the hammock means you have to pitch your tarp wider to keep from hitting the spreader bars.

I finally got a chance to try out a JRB bridge at one of the CO winter hangs, and I quite liked it. I wasn't a huge fan of the bug net setup, but the comfort of the hammock was undeniable, and I didn't mind the shoulder squeeze at all. My wife, on the other hand, was not as much of a fan. I was VERY tempted to pick one up when they released the UL version.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BackPackHiker View Post
    Has there ever been a bad review on the BMBH? I feakin love mine, it is easily one of my favorite hammocks. I havent seent a negative review on it though. This leads me to believe it is one of the best hammocks so far. Tell me if I am wrong?
    You're wrong! There have been negative responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I've never seen an outright "bad review", but certainly plenty of people have tried the JRB bridge and decided it wasn't the right hammock for them. Usually the negatives have centered around a few things:

- shoulder squeeze
    - bug netting close to your face
    - width of the hammock means you have to pitch your tarp wider to keep from hitting the spreader bars.

I finally got a chance to try out a JRB bridge at one of the CO winter hangs, and I quite liked it. I wasn't a huge fan of the bug net setup, but the comfort of the hammock was undeniable, and I didn't mind the shoulder squeeze at all. My wife, on the other hand, was not as much of a fan. I was VERY tempted to pick one up when they released the UL version.
    I guess it depends on what you are calling a "bad review". Mustardman has pretty well covered the situation. But, if someone does not like the way it feels in their shoulders, and does not like dealing with spreader bars and spreader bar/tarp conflict, is that a bad review? Maybe it is, even if they are saying "cool hammock, but just not for me". ( The users size has probably also been a frequent factor in all of this)

Take me, a major BMBH/MWUQ fan, for example. When these hammocks 1st appeared on the scene maybe 4 or 5 years ago, I was one of the very 1st to get one. I could tell quickly that there were some major advantages to this hammock. But, the perception of squeeze in the shoulders had me nervous. I had no under-quilts at that time ( I used HHSS and PeaPod ) and it did not quickly occur to me how great it worked with a pad, so I was concerned about how I would insulate it. And I felt it was unstable. And I was not sure I like that Omni-tape net. So despite what were to me some obvious pluses, I got nervous about all of that and returned it during the full refund/no questions asked period. And before I had actually taken it on a backpack and maybe got it dirty. So, does that count as a bad review? Probably so.

But as the weeks went on, and I found my self often dealing with knee and calf discomfort, I started having 2nd thoughts as I would remember the major leg comfort improvement with that hammock. Then I wondered if I had not given it the benefit of going through the learning curve. Let's face it, this hammock is REALLY different in several ways from the ones I was usded to.

So I got another one. It still was not love at 1st sight. And I found a new problem: I was having trouble staying off the ground, too much stretch somewhere. But as time went on, I realized this was a major contender for over all most comfortable hammock for me. First, what I had noticed from the 1st trial: absolutely 1st place for comfort in the legs when on my back and comfort in my side when on my side. No side "twisting/flexion" at all. To this day, hands down 1st place in these areas for me. Ditto 1st place for pad use. Seems easier to use wit a TQ without drafts. I decided stability was no problem at all. I even grew to like the net, which always gave me plenty of room, and was left behind in winter. And as soon as I got an MWUQ, I discovered it worked consistently, and always, with no drafts or gaps and no complicated set up. Works 1st time every time.

But most of all: I decided that, while there is definitely a perception of shoulder squeeze when flat on my back, it does not cause me discomfort. And all I have to do is fold my arms ( I am 6'1", 215 lbs) across my chest/abdomen just like I do in my bed, and it is quite comfy. ( but pillow def needed in original model)

So I love it now. It is always hard to decide which hammock to take on a hike, and insulation is usually the deciding factor. But the BMBH/MW combo is always right there in the finals. Sometimes I choose something else. But I admit I have found myself, after a few days, wishing I had brought the BMBH! ( after running into some leg comfort issues on one night each of 2 different trips ).

But, I guess you would have to say I did not give it a good review to start with, or I would have kept that 1st one.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-09-2012 at 17:32.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    We are pretty polite around here too; especially during the time that the Jacks released their bridge...and they were friends of the community here as well.

There are plenty of negative comments, but you'll find those in individual posts, not in a thread dedicated to the fact that they didn't like it. I don't know anyone that 'hates' it, but there are many folks like myself that just didn't/don't find it ideal. Smaller folks tend to be bigger fans than larger folks, as a general rule.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I am not a fan of the netting, shoulder squeeze, and when laying in the hammock you can't see out over the sides. I also didn't like the length of it. I felt it was too short (maybe due to long gathered end hammocks prior to getting a BMBH), and I am only 5'9. I did however, really like the pad sleeve, which when adding a pad lessened the shoulder squeeze. But I think it is a personal preference and HYOH. I do love the Chrysalis and a DIY bridge I have, so I am not against bridge style hammocks.

I want to add, I didn't find this to be a fault with the hammock, just not my preference for this hammock. It is a well made and cool hammock for the right person.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Keep the posts coming as I am about to find out how the BMBH UL is as it is in the wife's car at work and will have it in my mitts about 4:30 pm..the mail man stuck it in there as I have been waiting on it since ordering over the weekend from Jack's..can't wait to try it out.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    'and they were friends ' were?
    I probably just read that out of context.
    I've got the Jacks bridge hammock. You wont hear negatives about the construction-it's solid, and it's a good looking hammock. It just gave me the shoulder squeeze and in any bridge I've sat in, emphasize sat, the edge cuts into the legs much more (for me) than in a gathered end hammock; and being able to sit very comfortably is a primo for hammock use.
    The tarp coverage need is another matter too but since I dont carry the bride, only nap in one around the house every now and then, it's not an issue for me.
    Curious though as to what WarbonnetDude has come up with. I'll get one to if it too squeezes my shoulders.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    'and they were friends ' were?
    I probably just read that out of context.
    Absolutely read out of context.
    I used "were" only because I was speaking of a moment in time. The Jacks are very much still friend to the community. It'd be difficult to prove, or even suggest, otherwise.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Question.....if shoulder squeeze is a minor problem,,then why couldn't you increase the head spreader bar a couple of inches to compensate? By rigging your hiking pole at the head,,you could do this in some moderation??? To see if that worked,,then order a spreader bar from one of the material sources I read about on the forum posts after finding out...I realize it might shallow the head end up a dash..but would this be a workable solution?
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Curious though as to what WarbonnetDude has come up with. I'll get one to if it too squeezes my shoulders.
    I still have my BMBH, but I have never been able to spend an entire night in it due to the shoulder squeeze issue. I have a fusion at c5-c6 and it just plain hurts after a while in the BMBH. I won't give it up, however, because it is a great hammock and hope springs eternal.

I too am wondering if the RR is going be more friendly to us larger guys....anything you'd care to comment on here, Cannibal?

Sweeper
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast