Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies

need measurements for snakeskin's for a HG 4 season tarp (standard with doors)

Like the post said. I'm ordering some Cuban tonight and want to know from someone who has made snakeskins for the HG 4S what measurements work. Also any tips on working with cuban would help, I've never worked with the stuff before. Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    You just gave me a heck of a idea,,as I have snakeskins, but really don't like the way they pack up in the pack. But,,if I made snakeskins out of cuben, even tho it doesn't breath like mesh material,,you can make your snake skins alittle wider, and after pulling them on the tarp and tieouts and making it neat,,then you could fold them flat and compressed more for packing. I like the idea. I have been making my own, storage bags for everything imaginable using the vb tape to seal them off Yama"s website and they are super easy to make with the tape he provided and his instructions are downloadable.

http://www.yamamountaingear.com/gear...er-stuff-sacks

I am going to make some snake skins about 7-8 inches wide for my cuben tarp then after its all in the snake skin fold it compressing the air out, and that will do the trick of easy up and easy down. when I get home to nite, will measure how long my mesh snake skins are if someone hasn't posted the length,,but if they were cuben, they wouldn't have to be as long each is for each side either.
    Last edited by Acer; 04-11-2013 at 13:31.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    If you buy a yard of cuben off Zpacks,,and its 54" wide, x 36" long..divide the 54 by 4 and you get 13.5" of width at 36" long, It gives you 4 pieces of material each 3' long, making 2 sides of snakeskins at 6' long each less half inch fold on each end for added strengh x 6.25" wide. By using the 1/2 " tape you will loose a half inch of coverage. Your going to end up with a snake skin (2 Pieces) 6' long each, x 6.25" wide and could fold and compress it down to better pack size. Anything larger and you have to go to buying 2 yds of cuban material to make a larger width work. Let me know what your thinking of doing. As I am sitting here thinking myself.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    If you buy a yard of cuben off Zpacks,,and its 54" wide, x 36" long..divide the 54 by 4 and you get 13.5" of width at 36" long, It gives you 4 pieces of material each 3' long, making 2 sides of snakeskins at 6' long each less half inch fold on each end for added strengh x 6.25" wide. By using the 1/2 " tape you will loose a half inch of coverage. Your going to end up with a snake skin (2 Pieces) 6' long each, x 6.25" wide and could fold and compress it down to better pack size. Anything larger and you have to go to buying 2 yds of cuban material to make a larger width work. Let me know what your thinking of doing. As I am sitting here thinking myself.
    That's a great idea and affordable, now to find double sided tape on the cheap.

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So I ended up getting two yards of cuban of the skins. I haven't decided on any measurements as of yet but the extra will be made into stuff sacks. I figured I had to order 60 yards of tape mine as well get some extra cuban. The ridge line on my tarp is 11 foot so at 2 yards I should be fine on length. My big question is the width measurements at either ends of the skin for a tarp with doors. I guess i just have to hang the tarp and experiment. Edit: Acer, I hung my tarp and have decided that my rough material measurements will be 10" and 4" so finished 4 3/4" and 1 3/4 X 6 foot long. I ended up just tying a string in a loop and pulling it down my tarp to see if it would work. The sizes are perfect for the HG 4S.
    Last edited by krshome; 04-12-2013 at 16:15.

• + New Posts