Hammock
    Hennessy Survivor
    Tarp
    OES MACCAT ULTRA
    Suspension
    All-in-one whoopie

Couple of gear questions...

Im not new to hammocking but im new to comfort hammocking as my introduction was military... Always got a good nights sleep but nver messed with aftermarket mods or suspensions.

Alright first and foremost, why is it tha many folks start with a HH and then move onto something else? I enjoy my HH but what I observe is it's a "gateway hammock" and then folks move on to a WB or something like that. I've already altered my suspensions and picked up a new tarp but I've been eyeballing the 2qzq mod #4 for my HH survivor... But I'm not sure how much money I should dump into a hammock that I might move on from? I'm comfortable in it and have been considering the super shelter as well to extend my season.

Any guidance for a newbie?

Hammock
    Hennessy Survivor
    Tarp
    OES MACCAT ULTRA
    Suspension
    All-in-one whoopie
    As far as other questions I wanted to know of anyone that made any good pack covers/rainflys... It would make sense that a lot of the tarp materials would work well for a rainflys...

I also had an indea for a stuffsack and wanted to know if anyone made anything like it... I usually take some clothes or my jacket and jam it into a small stuffsack for a pillow... I wish someone made a stuffsack in the "u" shape, like those airplane pillows... That would be the bomb in my hammock? Anyone do something like that?

Hammock
    Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly Camo
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ w/Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I don't have much money tied up in my Hammock. I have a GT Skeeter Beater pro. All I have done is mod the suspension. Tree Straps with whoopies via toggle. And I am still under $100. But I went mid market of my tarp, Warbonnet Super Fly. I am real happy with it. And I don't see me moving on for awhile. I would like to test ride a WB Blackbird. But just can't pull the trigger without trying it first. As for the u-shaped pillow, it's been done. Can't remember which hanger did it. But all they did was take the guts out of an airplane pillow and stuff some down clothing in there. Hope it helps.
    "Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books."

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    A lot of people start with HH because they are all-in-one. No shopping for a seperate tarp or bugnet. Plus they are more marketed outside of the hammock community. Can't get a Warbonnet at REI. As far as mainstream hammocks go they are top of the line so that's what people get. Then they discover HF and all the cottage vendors here and their options are greatly increased. At least that's what happened with me.

I have 2 HH and am perfectly happy with Hennessey, but on an impulsive whim I picked up a BIAS cuz I saw a good deal on here for one and I wanted to try somethin else just to see, plus I wanna reduce weight and BIAS is crazy light. Haven't made my decision on which will be my go to yet cuz I only got to spend one night in the BIAS and noisy people in the next site made me pack up and go home at 2:30am. But I have a feelin the Hennessey will end up being referred to as my gateway hammock.

I wouldn't worry about the money you put into it. If you're happy with it and these mods will make you happier with it then maybe you won't move on. If you do move on then you can recoup most of your money selling it, just factor the upgrades into the price.

If you have the money I'd recommend skipping the SS and getting an underquilt. You can extend your season even further for a few more ounces.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    SwinginIt hit the high spots.
    The other two issues with HH are weight and the bottom entry. One either likes the bottom, or does not. I do so a mod 4 does not appeal to me. A Mod 1 does just to get better access to the head end when not in the hammock or the ground when not. If I want a topless hammock it's easy to make one. HH fixed the problem by offering zipper models.
    As far as weight goes there are lighter options at the possible expense of durability or capacity. Part of that is the suspension that can be improved on. Part is the things that are not included like bug nets and tarps. What does the package weigh? It gets into the how many dollars will you part with to shave a few ounces?

I left out the wow factor. Wow, that one is different so I need to get one to see of it is better. ;-) If I did not have a HH I would take a hard look at the options and might pick something else. As I have one I am happy with I do not intend to buy somebody else's. OTOH if I needed another one I would look around. I'm not sure I would change. YMMV, HYOH, ;-)

Hammock
    Hennessy Survivor
    Tarp
    OES MACCAT ULTRA
    Suspension
    All-in-one whoopie
    Thanks all... yeah, I'm happy in my hammock now and I'm not a gram weenie so I don't mind the extra weight...

I'll definately have to hit one of the "hangs" and see what everyone loves about theres... for the time being, I sleep better in my hammock than at home and am happy with it. I like the bottom entry but would love the flexibility of taking the bugnet down or at least be able to reach out and adujust my fly (and eventually my UQ or SS.

Thanks again.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Snow-Ape, I have many hammocks and have bought and sold many hammocks. I had a WBBB, but sold it and I am very happy with my HH DJ XL, and HH Explorer UL. They are both the zip models (DJ only comes in zip model). I like the DJ the best because of the soft material and the double bottom, which gives me great vesatility for either a pad or UQ, or when it is really cold, both.
    If you are happy with your HH, mod it how you want and make it better for you. Some of us move on to other hammocks, but some of us come back to the HH, and some never move on at all because they are happy with the HH. HYOH...
    Good luck, and also I am considering the 2QZQ mod #4 for both my HH's.
    "No whining in the woods"

• + New Posts