Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Demeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cambridge, MD
    Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Posts
    675
    Images
    13

    Tried to double hang.....

    ....and it didn't go too well. Went to 'survival camp' with my daughter this week. One tree for the head, two for the feet. One hex tarp.

    I put the tarp on her trees, since she was slightly higher. Problem wasn't apparent until we got in for night. Waaayyyy too close together. She was literally on top of me.

    Next night I hung more underneath her. I have side- zip, she has a bottom entry Hennessy. In order for her to get into the hammock, I could only hang it so high. In turn I had to hang my hammock so low that my butt touched the ground.

    Fortunately I needn't worry about CBS since it's 1000 degrees right now in the Mid-Atlantic (slight exaggeration ), and I definitely see another tarp in my immediate future so we don't go through this again.

    What did I do wrong?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Pipsissewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Yancey Co., NC - Home of Mt. Mitchell
    Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Posts
    1,817
    Images
    7
    Well, my instinct would be to put your heads on two trees and your feet share one tree. Also, since your daughter has the bottom entry, I would have put her on the bottom. But, I wasn't there, so I don't know the exact circumstances. But since you weren't comfortable, I would have tried that.

    You don't say how big your hex tarp is, but you didn't say getting wet was a problem, so I assume you were okay in terms of coverage. A hex tarp may have trouble covering two hammocks, especially one on top of the other.

    Oh well, chalk it up to experience. The next time will be better!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

    ---Leigh Buckner Hanes

    Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

    Surely, God never did.

  3. #3
    Member Rob In AL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Talladega County, AL
    Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    Guardian bug net
    Suspension
    multiple
    Posts
    83
    Images
    3
    What Pipsissewa said. Heads on separate trees, feet share. In addition, if it's possible, work a "spreader bar" in your suspension to hold your feet apart and hang at the same level. If the head end trees are too close together, put a spreader in there too. The down side (structural concerns aside), if either of you move around a lot, the other will know.

    The tarp issue is a little harder since it's as wide as it's going to get.
    If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.

  4. #4
    bayoubomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Houma,LA
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL ENO D, WW
    Tarp
    HG Cuben &Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20*TQ & 20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    377
    Images
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Demeter View Post
    ....and it didn't go too well. Went to 'survival camp' with my daughter this week. One tree for the head, two for the feet. One hex tarp.

    I put the tarp on her trees, since she was slightly higher. Problem wasn't apparent until we got in for night. Waaayyyy too close together. She was literally on top of me.

    Next night I hung more underneath her. I have side- zip, she has a bottom entry Hennessy. In order for her to get into the hammock, I could only hang it so high. In turn I had to hang my hammock so low that my butt touched the ground.

    Fortunately I needn't worry about CBS since it's 1000 degrees right now in the Mid-Atlantic (slight exaggeration ), and I definitely see another tarp in my immediate future so we don't go through this again.

    What did I do wrong?
    I had the same problem on my first hang with my 7 year old. We had to go head to feet and I had her lay parallel to me in my WBBB.
    Oh and you didn't do anything wrong, you did a great thing by spending time with your daughter. You just need practice and pick trees a little further apart.
    "Life's short, if you don't stop and look around every once in a while you might miss it". FB

  5. #5
    AtHomeDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NE Wisconsin
    Hammock
    DIY "Phoenix" DL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    110
    Images
    11
    I've done this many times with my son on the same trees (separate suspension) but used old golf shafts as a spreader bar. We both lay the same way the hammock so we were parallel.

    I am, however, making him his own tarp. We were camping at Cub camp a few weeks ago during torrential rain (Noah sailed through camp). We both fit under the Hex tarp, but I couldn't pull it close enough to close the doors to keep rain from blowing in. Putting a garbage bag over the exposed end of the hammocks took care of that problem for the trip.

    While we made it through relatively unscathed, it was interesting to note that the ground dwellers got soaked and many of them blew down during the nights. We just snored through it all.
    The person who says that it can't be done, doesn't
    The person who says that it can be done, does it!

  6. #6
    Senior Member Oper8or's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Posts
    308
    Images
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by bayoubomber View Post
    I had the same problem on my first hang with my 7 year old. We had to go head to feet and I had her lay parallel to me in my WBBB.
    Oh and you didn't do anything wrong, you did a great thing by spending time with your daughter. You just need practice and pick trees a little further apart.
    Spending time is definately worth it. Maybe look at the Kelty Noah tarp if your going to do two under one like that.
    I am me and no one else can be me without my permission.

    My Youtube page.

  7. #7
    Member Funkyleebasick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Hammock
    eno, for now.
    Tarp
    eno, modified
    Insulation
    diy, mummy bag
    Suspension
    straps and woopie
    Posts
    50
    try a really big rain fly

  8. #8
    Demeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cambridge, MD
    Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Posts
    675
    Images
    13
    Thanks for the answers! I am so happy she wants to get out with me that I am okay with the issues.

    Btw, i have the large Hennessy Hex tarp. If we go out again before I get the new tarp, I will definitely try the spreader bars.

    How do you keep the bars in place?

  9. #9
    Member Rob In AL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Talladega County, AL
    Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    Guardian bug net
    Suspension
    multiple
    Posts
    83
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Demeter View Post
    Thanks for the answers! I am so happy she wants to get out with me that I am okay with the issues.

    Btw, i have the large Hennessy Hex tarp. If we go out again before I get the new tarp, I will definitely try the spreader bars.

    How do you keep the bars in place?
    Depending on the material, a clove hitch will probably suffice however, solutions are as varied as the potential materials. What do you want to use?
    If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.

  10. #10
    in it for the naps oldgringo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    Posts
    6,264
    Anyone that wants to do this regularly really should look into the Honeymoon Suite built by forum member Smokehouse. It has to be seen to be appreciated.
    Dave

    http://www.uark.edu/misc/xtimber/rna/pattonsbluff.html

    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck

Similar Threads

  1. double check the suspension on this hang
    By jonsfg in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-18-2014, 11:27
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2013, 16:21
  3. Can a Cuben cover two hammocks (double hang)?
    By Demeter in forum Weather Protection
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-12-2012, 03:08
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2010, 19:31
  5. My Double-Hang Method
    By creekfisher in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-09-2009, 10:26

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •