Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire

Hoosier HH-3 Pre-Hang

"You are right about halloween being too far away. How about lets be packed for a cool weekend the first time it happens. Could be 2016 the way it looks though." Mule

He's right, and I hope he's wrong.

Had good rain here last night, and the temps have dropped off for a day or so at the most. It will be back close to 90 by Sunday, but I know for most, this is the type of break we are looking for, to get a quick shake-down, tune-up or cabin fever type of trip in, before the Halloween Hang.

So as not to create confusion in that thread, lets use this one to formulate some sort of go-to, for whoever can make it, whenever the chance might arise, between now and the swingin' Ghoul fest @ the Cemetery

Lets pack up as best we can. Network and pick a few spots, ahead of time, to park the cars, then head into the Hoosier Uplands, whenever a few of us get a chance to hook up, and the weather gives us awindow.

A lot of these Sassafras trails may be difficult to follow, from whatever trail guide info we can make available to us. Maps, Compass, Possibly GPS, and a good enough sense of humor/adventure, along with enough love of the woods to get a bit lost from time to time, should probably be considered prerequisites. Beyond that, availability and transportation can be the only other considerations.

Lets see what we can make of it. I'll post a list of trails that I can remember, after I think about it a bit more, in my next post, and see what the rest of us can come up with between now and then. Feel free to jump right in.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    HG Incu-Burrow
    Suspension
    War Buckle
    Images
    Sounds interesting Rolloff, I will be keeping an eye on this thread and start packin'

Hammock
    Home Made from Acer
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    Body Fat
    Suspension
    Mule's Special
    Images
    Sounds Good. lastnight i slept in the hammock.....got down to 54....Loved it
    The only Easy day was yesterday.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Good to see you made it over Jerry. Counting you in on the KT, until you say your out.

Found a couple of these on Amazon. Pricey, for used, but I'll pick one up, in a couple weeks, when finances allow. It covers most of the trails discussed over in the other thread, Panther Gap, Patton Cave, Dogwood, along with Terrel Ridge, Axom branch, Sycamore, and probably a few others memory has not retained. Only (2) listed if anyone else is interested.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+to+Nebo+ridge

I''m with Mule, in respect to getting our gear around, and ready to go, at a few days or days notice, when schedules and weather might allow, for a shot at a quick jaunt.

I'm up for doing any of these old Sassafras trails, especially the first 3 mentioned. I've taken a good look at the Panther Gap trail, and even though 30+ years have past, it looks like even with and w/o overgrown and missing landmarks, easy enough to follow with map and compass. If memory also serves me right, Patton Cave should be much the same.

The Gap should stand a good chance of avoiding the MU status and problem we face in the DWA. When I hiked it, due to starting and ending in Yellowood SF, dirt bikes and horses were not allowed.

Patton Cave runs smack through Saddle Creek valley, no avoiding the MU drawbacks there, but with this dry summer, many of the stream crossings should be as good as they'll get, in that respect.

Dogwood. I have not hiked. I remember it follows a powerline cut, and was described as the most rugged trail in the guide. This trail, if not for the powelines themselves, might be completely overgrown or gone, but not forgotten! Part of the Nebo Ridge system, if once again memory hasn't failed me.

That should be a start and give us something to discuss. I'm excited
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL/Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Toxaway/Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I did a Patton Creek run before the drought got bad. The system (definitely seemed like multiple trails) appeared to be in pretty good shape. The campsites atop Patton Cave itself are some of the best I've seen in the Deam. However, there were a few spots where the trail was overgrown and I had to hike in the creek bed.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by SaabZombee View Post
    I did a Patton Creek run before the drought got bad. The system (definitely seemed like multiple trails) appeared to be in pretty good shape. The campsites atop Patton Cave itself are some of the best I've seen in the Deam. However, there were a few spots where the trail was overgrown and I had to hike in the creek bed.

To me, this is good news! Overgrown means little pressure. However, Patton cave is a popular destination, and they are probably accessing it further to the west from the horse camp. That's fine.

The camping on top of the cave is very nice indeed. I've also found some very nice campsites a little further in, including all the way to the lake itself. Probably very overgrown by now
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ by Mule
    Suspension
    Web'g@Buckles
    A lot of these Sassafras trails may be difficult to follow, from whatever trail guide info we can make available to us. Maps, Compass, Possibly GPS, and a good enough sense of humor/adventure, along with enough love of the woods to get a bit lost from time to time, should probably be considered prerequisites. Beyond that, availability and transportation can be the only other considerations.

Lets see what we can make of it. I'll post a list of trails that I can remember, after I think about it a bit more, in my next post, and see what the rest of us can come up with between now and then. Feel free to jump right in. [/QUOTE]

Patton Cave Trail SAS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never confuse the facts with the truth! It ain't easy bein' geezy

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ by Mule
    Suspension
    Web'g@Buckles
    SAS Trail Head Map, Axsom Branch Trail and Sycamore Branch Trail. Axsom Branch can be quite muddy at times.
    Never confuse the facts with the truth! It ain't easy bein' geezy

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ by Mule
    Suspension
    Web'g@Buckles
    SAS, Nebo Ridge Trail, Greenbriar Ridge Trail and Hound Dog Ridge Trail