ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Ozark Trail Cocoon
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas

Exclamation Dorm Hammock Help

Hello, I just moved in my dorm and Im looking for hammock options. I had a few myself but nothing that seems to work! I saw an article of someone hanging up they're hammock with duct tape as the anchor:
    http://blog.makezine.com/2005/04/05/...-stress-tests/

I would do this but I cant see the attached pictures of the technique he used!

I have attached pictures of my options. I would hang from bed to bed but the frames of the beds move when i add weight to the hammock. Anyway i could bound the bed frames or something to make them immobile? Any engineers out there that can help?! Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    Use L brackets on the legs of the beds to the floor!
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Welcome to Hammock Forums. Check out some of the hammock stand treads. Lots of great info on HF.

Images
    The person who posted in the Make article you linked was using the tape in pure shear, it's best application. The picture you took of the tape attached to the wall is a tension application, which places a concentrated force at the edge of attachment and allows the tape to peel away. Not a very strong application.

If you put a cross-bar between the beds it will hold the frames apart against the hammock forces which are pulling them together. This is a feature of many of the DIY hammock stands 2ply refers to in his note.

Another possibility would be to hang the hammoc diagonally under the mattress frame of the upper bunk. I'm not sure if that will give you enough distance, though.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Ozark Trail Cocoon
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Quote Originally Posted by OneEye View Post
    The person who posted in the Make article you linked was using the tape in pure shear, it's best application. The picture you took of the tape attached to the wall is a tension application, which places a concentrated force at the edge of attachment and allows the tape to peel away. Not a very strong application.

If you put a cross-bar between the beds it will hold the frames apart against the hammock forces which are pulling them together. This is a feature of many of the DIY hammock stands 2ply refers to in his note.

Another possibility would be to hang the hammoc diagonally under the mattress frame of the upper bunk. I'm not sure if that will give you enough distance, though.
    Good ideas! Thanks! And about the application of the tape.. what do you mean 'pure shear'? Please explain! I would like to know, even for future reference!
    And the second option could definitely work! I just gotta find the rod! and for the third, that would work but i have that workstation under my bunk to worry about..

Hammock
    Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch & Anchors
    You could run some 2 x 4s between the top posts of the inner 4 bed posts which would brace them apart, and allow you to hang as you have your hammock set up. Very little hardware would be needed, you could actually use a few blocks and do it hardware free.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I college many many yrs ago I would hang on a dianganal from a post on my bunk bed to the hinge on my closet door, and survived!
    Acta non Verba

Images
    Check out the turtle stand thread. Use a piece of chain link fencing pipe and suspend it from the bunkbeds. The beds, like the tipi style stands only hold the pipe up. The pipe itself resists compression forces rather than the bunkbeds. Make sense?

Matt

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    How about a "ridgeline" of wood or bamboo?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterwee View Post
    Good ideas! Thanks! And about the application of the tape.. what do you mean 'pure shear'? Please explain! I would like to know, even for future reference!
    It's hard to tell from the picture in the MAKE article, but the tape is on each side of a rib in a "waffle slab" ceiling. The strips of tape are on a vertical plane, and are in-line with the applied force. The force on the tape is being applied along the tape, and not perpendicular to it. This allows the tape fabric to spread the force along the entire adhesive contact surface, ensuring there are very limited force concentrations. When you pull tape away from a surface, the fabric bends sharply between where it is adhered to the surface and where you are pulling. This creates a dramatic force concentration along a tiny strip of adhesive, usually peeling it away from its adhered surface.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast