Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest, ATHH
    Tarp
    ATHH, Equinox UL

Travel Hammock Knots?

So I am new to the camping hammock world so bear with me. I recently purchased the All Terrain Hybrid Hammock (ATHH) V2 from Amazon.com for a good price ($58.15 inc shipping before tax). It has quickly become one of my favorite pieces of camping gear. Hopefully I can upload pictures of its uses in the field before too long and give a full report.

The ATHH came with two 10 feet pieces of rope to hang the hammock. Which I have replaced with the "Travel Hammock Hanging Kit" which consists of two 20 ft pieces of rope. But I figured for less than $6 from reioutlet.com I could not go wrong. (By the way when the kit came in it was packaged under the Grand Trunk brand name).

My question for the experienced Travel Hammock users, is do you trust the knot system that comes with the Travel Hammock? I have seen the videos online demonstrating how to hang the hammock, and it looks incredibly simple. But I have reservations with using their knot system. Does anyone know how strong it is? Instead of using their knots I have been using this relatively simple system of knots to string up my hammock (Many props to youtube and rayd888). I feel this is a better and more secure way of hanging a hammock. Or are my worries unfounded? Thanks in advance!

PS I have also removed the two S-hooks which the ATHH came with and have replaced them with lightweight climbing carabiners.

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    You'll get a lot of good feedback here but here's my take on it. I'm using the SB Pro with PolyPro webbing and "small" aluminum rings from Sling Rings

The ropes will hold fine, they are just not the best option. I'm about 210 lbs. and had no problem using the ropes on my first hang but the ropes will cut into the tree over time.

I'd switch the ropes for PolyPro or Polyester webbing and swap your beiners for aluminum rings or cinch buckles. This provides you with unlimited adjustability. With the ropes, if your trees change spacing or you need to adjust your sag you will have to re-tie a knot somewhere and that can be a trial and error method. The rings allow you to quickly and easily cinch or release the webbing for a perfect hang. You actually won't even need the carabieners if you sew or tie a not at one end of your webbing.

Here are some pics of my setup

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...8&postcount=23

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    A word of caution... I assume this has been fixed by the manufacturer, but the cinch ropes in the ATHH we tested had some significant failure rate. Be careful to check the ropes for fraying and wear on a regular basis. Of course, the same is true for any system where you are dependent on a support system for your safety. The ATHH got some very good ratings with that exception. But since most everybody changed out their suspension system before they even took the piece outside, the rope issue was a concern but not an extreme negative.

Travel Hammock (Grand Trunk as I guess it is now called) is not the only company to use a semi-adjustable hanging system. At least one other company uses a similar concept but using webbing daisy chains instead if I understand correccdtly. I have gone to exclusively webbing and some kind of hardware system. Mostly ring buckles but I am playing with the JRB tri-glides.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    I have both the Skeeter Beeter Pro and the Athh. I have only used the travel hammock suspension line on the Skeeter Beeter Pro and so far no problems. I use the ring buckle on the ATHH with 12' tie down straps on both sides.
    Chris

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest, ATHH
    Tarp
    ATHH, Equinox UL
    Yeah I saw the group report that stated the original ATHH V1 had problems with the cinch ropes, but I believe this problem was fixed in the V2. I also noted that the sharp edges on the S-hooks were machined away so to not be as abrasive to the fabric in the V2. Looks like the Chief might have noted your reviews and they made improvements to the new version.

It's interesting to hear that some people have had success with the stock travel hammock setup. Anyone else?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I actually tried using the stock slapstraps with tree huggers for a couple test runs. I would use the tree hugger to protect the bark but then run the knotted cord through the hugger loops. I never experienced any weakness of lack of safety from the stock ropes. I just did not like the limited adjust ability of the pre-tied knots. If I were using them in the backyard or with a consistent set of supports I might consider using that kind of a system because it sure is quick and simple once you get the knots set.

I am still using the s-hooks from the ATHH in one suspesion system for my DMB w/BEEP and have no concerns about their safety.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

I don't see anything wrong with the knotted ropes for hanging as long as you keep an eye on the wear and tear of the ropes. I very seldom find trees the perfect distance apart to match my knots, plus if the trees are thick i run out of rope fast. I decided to untie the knots giving me two ten foot long ropes, and tied a six loop prussik knot with a hanging loop on both ropes. Now i have plenty of length, plenty of adjustability, and it seems to be slip free. I need to wet the ropes down good and see if the prussiks slip any. I bought about six feet of climbing rope, cut it in half, and made the prussiks knots and loops from the two pieces. I figured you are really only hanging from one rope anyway in the OEM setup, and this prussik knot hanging method is just as strong. Earlier, I had what i thought would be a great way to hang a hammock, but it turned out to be lame. I thought why not just tie a rope between two trees, and tie prussik knots on either end with loops to hang the hammock on. That would give infinite adjustability, plus a ridgline to sling a tarp over, or so i thought. I didn't account for stretch and the amount of sag that resulted in the ridgline being usesless. Oh well.
    Last edited by hangingaround; 09-30-2008 at 11:26. Reason: gramatical errors

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    hangingaround... just curious... do you use any webbing in your set up or just ropes around the tree?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    BA Insulated & SPE
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangingaround View Post
    I decided to untie the knots giving me two ten foot long ropes, and tied a six loop prussik knot with a hanging loop on both ropes. Now i have plenty of length, plenty of adjustability, and it seems to be slip free.
    I've done something similar with mine. Instead of prusiks, I put 5 alpine butterflies in each rope. I doesn't give me infinite adjustability, but gives me enough to do the job. I don't use webbing, just the ropes. So far on multiple hikes in varying weather (from thunderstorms and hail to clear and 90's), I haven't had a problem.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Mosquito Jungle
    Tarp
    Oware 8x10 w/Beaks
    Insulation
    DIY SPE w/ccf, etc
    Suspension
    JRB webbing

Another rigging option.

I got a Grand Trunk the other day; played around with it on an overnight this last weekend.

I un-tied the knots the original hanging lines came with to make 2-12' lines; tied one end with a bowline through the hem on each end of the hammock to cinch the ends down; threw away the S-hooks and lines that formerly held the hammock together; and secured the lines to the trees using some 4' tree huggers and the Hennessy lashing. Very adjustable and comfy; saved a couple of ounces; the whole rig weighs 14 oz. Made a nice "lazy-boy" for just laying around.
    "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast