Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HH with rings

Quote Originally Posted by Demeter View Post
    WetRivrRat, How did you attach your rings to the hammock? I think I have your set up visualized, but would love a pic if u ever think of it!

Imagine the 'biner is attached to the tree hugger rather than an eye bolt

We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip,ENO DN
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    RB,WS, toggles
    Is there some advantage you found using the two pieces of rope as opposed to attaching the rings directly to the carabiner?

Quote Originally Posted by jw261 View Post
    Is there some advantage you found using the two pieces of rope as opposed to attaching the rings directly to the carabiner?
    It actually is a single shot of rope, I just found that due to the size of the rope I couldn't use the rings any other way. truly the only benefits for me would be that the rings are semi-permeant (iow, I dont have to go looking for them when I need them) and if it's raining I don't have to go outside the cover of my tarp to re-adjust - otherwise it just happened to work well enough for me
    HYOH right?

Edit...
    Plus I get absolutely zero slippage this way - and hanging is a breeze - set the tree huggers, set my 'biner, pop the loop over the gate and yank, done.... Next!
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    That's a really interesting approach. I guess the only downside, if using the stock suspension cords, would be that it significantly shortens the possible distance between trees right?

You would be correct that it shortens the maximum possible distance between tress. However, it isn't a permanent setup, so if I found that I needed more length then I could either remove the rings altogether or just move the rings up the line towards the trees. The rings are only there for convenience, and if convenience suffers due to available trees then I just switch to whatever is most convenient at the time.
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    HH Ultralite Backpacker Classic
    Tarp
    Hyperlite Rainfly
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I am new to the forum and recently switched from an ENO DN with whoopies to a HH Expedition. I have been looking around quite a bit about suspension and keep seeing people advising against using the stock rope through a pair of rings. I know I saw trekkingnut's video and read the entire thread about rings and went with the video's recommendation. I see alot of posts saying that by running the webbing through the rings without a knot, people were experiencing slippage. I don't see alot of firsthand knowledge or incidents where people have seen the weakness or damage to the stock ropes going directly through the rings. I have been doing it in this method and haven't noticed any damage yet. Has anyone had personal experience or been put on the ground using this method?
    I was put to ground yesterday due to stock rope fail. The outer layer of the rope broke but the core stayed intact. I'm looping the leftover rope and keeping the rings.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip,ENO DN
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    RB,WS, toggles
    Erikayak

How were you connecting the rope to the rings and what size were the rings?

Also of interest:
    * What kind of hammock and were the suspension lines stock or DIY Install?
    * How old were the suspension lines? (Suggesting maybe the sheath simply rotted to the point of failure)
    * How were you looping/lashing the rope though the rings? (Suggesting maybe too much friction in a single point)
    * How often did you keep the rings in the same place? (Suggesting repetitive injury to the ropes at the same point - iow, did you always look for trees 12 feet apart and hung your lines the same way every time)
    * How often do you inspect your lines? Was there noticed deterioration? (Suggesting the injury to the rope wasn't visible for one to notice, thus no care taken to prevent hitting the deck)
    * Was this (just by chance) an attempt to purposefully test your suspension lines to a point of failure? (Suggesting an attempt to "see how many licks it takes to get the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop")

I ask all of these questions merely out of an inquisitiveness towards the opportunity to learn failure points for the various ropes in use out there. In my younger days I rock climbed and rope maintenance wasn't optional, it was the difference between life/death. However many a folk would climb without ever conducting any review/maintenance, sometimes they won, sometimes the rock won...
    Point is, I know what to look for in climbing gear, and I wouldn't suspect any difference in the lines used on hammocks, but in the off chance that it was -
    ....pictures or it didn't happen...
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    HH Ultralite Backpacker Classic
    Tarp
    Hyperlite Rainfly
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images

suspension

Erikayak

How were you connecting the rope to the rings and what size were the rings?
    My suspension looked like THIS.

As WetRivrRat suggested maybe I put too much friction in a single point.

I have the UL Explorer, the ropes are pretty thin and don't work with the garda hitch (two rings). later i found all the people talking about how it is bad for the ropes. I have made a new method, only using one ring on each side. i tie a doubled figure 8 on the end of my ropes, put a single wrap on a pretty small rap ring, then feed it through the end of the rope through the webbing and stick a biner on the figure 8. You just clip the biner to the ring and it stays adjustable, havne't had any slippage as far as i can tell. doesnt need slippery half hitches either. Saves time and a little bit of weight not carrying 2 more rap rings. i'll take some pictures later and post them.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast