Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Well, okay. You've convinced me - I'm putting the space blanket back in the pack.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly Camo
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ w/Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I keep a space blanket and a cheap poncho in my kit. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    "Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books."

It is a simple piece of safety equipment that can save you or someone else. It is very possible to become hypothermic in temperatures in the 70's or 80's. If everything else is wet at least the Mylar will not be affected by the weather. If for some reason you go into shock these are great to stabilize core temperatures. After working in remote and very challenging environments for the past years I never leave without one or my IFAK. All tucked into a nice neat little pouch that weighs about 1.5 lbs. unfortunately this has saved my but and others more than a few times. Always remember when working or playing in remote areas helps is usually more than 24 hours away. A little weight is well worth the security it brings. More than one person has died because they chose to go without a few simple things. But this is just my opinion though it is based on some pretty extreme experiances.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    A friend dropped his sleeping g bag in a dark hole on an overnight. He slept wedged between two ladies in the group with my sb over him... I think he lost his bag on purpose....
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    A friend dropped his sleeping g bag in a dark hole on an overnight. He slept wedged between two ladies in the group with my sb over him... I think he lost his bag on purpose....
    Oh to have been that guy and been "hypothermic"...
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I wear a fanny pack with everything I need to get thru at least one night, including a SB, in case a meteorite takes out the rest of my rig. If it takes out my rig while I'm in it I guess it won't mater.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth gathered end. 126x60
    Tarp
    DIY Assym SilNylon
    Insulation
    Down & synth
    Suspension
    Straps & whoopies
    I really see no need for one. Not even during hunting seasons in the northwoods of PA.
    Transportation for Hiram Farm

Two Wheels Good, Four Wheels Bad

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab
    The body going into shock.

The reason eveyone should have one.

Who hasn't had a mis-step on a trail and caught themselves just in time before they fell over? It doesn't take much more than that to fall and get an injury substantial enough that keeping the body warm could be the difference between life and death.

A SB is the cheapest, lightest life insurance policy you will ever own.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly Camo
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ w/Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A couple of years ago I was scouting some ground for an upcoming season. It had been a few years since I had been in the rugged remote area. And I was about 30lbs heavier. Needless to say I miss judged my abilities compared to the terrain. We had some weather move in and it began to rain and sleet. This soil in this area is mostly clay and when it gets wet, it sticks. Sticks right to your boots and it's like 10 extra pounds per foot. My quads were on fire climbing the steep trail and I began to cramp as the temp dropped to the mid 30's. Luckily my day pack was well stocked with the 10 essentials and then some. I was able to find some shelter and rest up and finish the last 2 miles back to a warm truck. I didn't use my space blanket but I had it and almost needed it. It stays packed. Well worth the few ounces.
    "Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books."

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123