Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropicalzach View Post
    Thanks...now I know that they are a quality product.

Why did you move from the BP UL Asym to the Explorer UL?

Zach
    In my case it was an unreckognized mistake...

I ordered a Hennessy, at that time (2003) through the UK, before I went on a RTW trip for 2.5 years. As my departure date came near, still no hammock, so I called and asked what's happening and explained.

Two days later my hammock arrives. I leave (with that hammock).

Two days later a second hammock arrives. Which I learn of later through email and telephone contact with the folks back 'home'.

After email contact with the seller in the UK, I could keep it, so loaned it to a friend who used it and later my brother who went on a RTW trip too.

I came back (end of 2005) and ended up with two great hammocks and sold one (not even noticing which one) and kept the other....

But as the saying goes: HYOH ...and since we have so many choices now, that decision isn't easy...

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    HH Backpacker UL
    Tarp
    Oware flattarp
    Insulation
    Custom HG 40* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm in the same part of the country, about the same size and weight 5'8" 180lbs and I use the UL Backpacker. Haven't used the other two to compare but my total pack weight for my last trip was 18lbs (with food, fuel and water).

I did switch out to whoopee slings and I do use a different tarp.
    Scoutmaster, Troop 745
    Duvall, WA

Hammock
    HH Backpacker UL Zip or WBRR
    Tarp
    Kammock Pro
    Insulation
    WB Lynx + OV Storm
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy

1st Trial

Good Morning All ~

I am about to purchase my first HH and I am curious if anyone would share the pros and cons that exist between the HH Expedition Asym Zip, the Backpacker Asym Ultralight Zip and the Asym Hyperlite Zip. Beyond the obvious weight differences, has anyone used all three and have opinions regarding them.

A few points to help with your insights:

1. I am trying to get my pack down to between 15# - 20# (the weight difference between the three types is important, but not critical).

2. I am about 5'9" and <190#.

3. I generally solo hike around the Northwest in the Cascade Range, the Olympic National Park or along the Pacific Coast.

4. Cost is not a deciding factor - overall quality/usefulness is.

5. In your opinion, why is one model better than others? Details are appreciated.

Thanks for your feedback.
    Thanks for all of your inputs. I have ordered a Backpacker Asym Zip and will spend some time with this model. I have several friends that want to get into hammock camping so they will order other types and we will switch back and forth. I will try and give a detailed comparison when I have a chance to try other models out. Thanks again for all of your inputs!
    TropicalZach
    "All days are good days."

Thanks for all of your inputs. I have ordered a Backpacker Asym Zip and will spend some time with this model. I have several friends that want to get into hammock camping so they will order other types and we will switch back and forth. I will try and give a detailed comparison when I have a chance to try other models out. Thanks again for all of your inputs!
    Woot! Woot!
    Awesome idea to swap out gear with like minded friends - maybe when you've had a chance to try out the different models you could post your findings - likes dislikes, that sort of thing.

Enjoy your new gear!
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12