Hammock
    ENO/WB Traveler
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapenut View Post
    Its just a matter of time... Whoopies!!
    Exactly. So much nore versatile and easy to switch up when testing other set ups.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    stock / webbing
    So I have been using adj webbing suspension with SMC rings. Then I went to all cordage with no hardware using just knots and adj friction hitches

So here is my question. I plan on switching it up to a singleline suspension using 3.8mm spyderline and SMC rings. How much cordage do you think I need? And how do you keep the rigeline length static

Images
    I did exactly what your are talking about doing. I don't think the advertised weight of the Bluewater climbing webbing is correct. I was a little disappointed. In hind sight, I use whoopies now, but if I was going back to straps and rings I would call BIAS hammocks and order there 100" poly straps, SUPER LIGHTWEIGHT and low cost. I like the infinite adjustability of straps, especially if you have some really large trees. my son uses slap straps but he only weighs 90# so there is no concern with stretch for him, but there is a constant problem of lining up with THEIR loops, if it doesn't line up you have to use a marlin spike hitch, so you might as well not even put the freakin loops on the strap. The atlas appears to have more loops, but that also means more material, more weight, you see where this going....if you aren't worried about weight, well...never mind.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    Guardian bug net
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ajenness3 View Post
    Hey all, I'm new to the hammock world and I recently purchased an Eno DN. As fate would have it, the store was sold out of Slap Straps, so I decided to do a bit of research. I've seen a lot of reviews saying the nylon on the slap straps is too stretchy and can lead to discomfort and waking up with your butt dragging. I don't want either of those things! Haha

Anyways, I was looking into buying some climbing webbing and using the Ring Buckle method that I read about here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565

My question is pretty simple. If I were to attach two Descending Rings to the carabiners already attached to my Eno, would that work? Or do I need to take the carabiners off and attach the rings directly to the cord?

Also if there are easier ways to hang my hammock I'm interested in hearing them. The ring buckle method seems pretty easy and I could just tie a bowline knot on the other and attach the webbing the same way I would with normal slap straps.

Thanks for any info/insight.
    The ring buckle method will work just fine. Regardless of what suspension you go with, lose the steel carabiners. If you replace them, climbing rated aluminum is the way to go. They save you a lot of weight, but more importantly, they don't hurt as bad when you klonk yourself with them. If you want to get real fancy, you can lose the factory rope too and just run them through the hammock channel.
    As for "easier" suspension methods, that's a matter of opinion, though I'm not sure how much more simple you could get than that, short of just tying off either end with rope.
    If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    The ring buckle method will be great. But don't just clip them into the existing carabiners! The rings need to be held firmly. I tried this in the Spring when I was playing around with different suspensions for my DN. Butt hit the ground everytime. The nice folks here on HF helped me sort it out when I got back to the air conditioning. Here's the thread on my misadventure and the advice that helped me out... http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=49822

Now I have a set of whoopies and think they're great! Best of luck figuring this out!
    Last edited by harrellt; 08-15-2012 at 08:48. Reason: i can't spell

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Suspension
    webbing/ring bckls
    Thanks Rob and Harrellt! I appreciate the info!! Looking forward to getting this started!!

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    stock / webbing
    So here is my final set up. Only difference is I will change the cord to amsteel when it shows upImageUploadedByTapatalk1345403048.750141.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1345403066.101962.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1345403087.352691.jpg

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Suspension
    webbing/ring bckls
    Ok, so I have decided to buy some Polypro webbing and use the descending rings. Now I'm just curious, how many feet of webbing should I buy per strap? I was thinking somewhere between 12 and 15. Any thoughts?

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    stock / webbing
    I was using 12' of webbing when I used rings. But I also have big Oak trees my way

Images

Mule Tape by the foot

Quote Originally Posted by ninjahamockman View Post
    If you know anyone who works for the telephone company you can get your hands on mule tape you can hang a bear in the air with that stuff and it won't strech. But I would stick to whoopies now that has gotten me to think mule tape in place of webbing it is lighter and less bulkier I will have to try it.
    I just ordered 100' for $10 including shipping.

http://www.udap.com/bearshock.htm

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast