Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images

Question Tarp and hammock on same straps?

Just wondering, has anyone ran their tarp on the same suspension as their hammock? I was considering this. Since I use the Kelty Noah 12 tarp, which is huge, I cant get it to close up in storm mode without putting it at the same height as my tree straps I use for the hammock. I was thinking a bouble toggle on each strap, maybe? I'd play with that theory but its really raining outside and I cannot do it inside the house. My first thought on it is about sag. I wonder if it would cause a great amount of sag when I lay in my hammock. Tell ya what. I'm going to try it out and see. I'll post my findings after I do some tests. It might be worth considering for those of us who use larger tarps.

I dont get it... as small as I am: I have a 10ft hammock and a 12ft tarp.. you'd think I could sleep in a coat sleeve and use a trash bag as a tarp.
    I am me and no one else can be me without my permission.

My Youtube page.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Yup. It's been done, but you have the right spirit: go experiment for yourself. One advantage is that you can hang the tarp firsrt if it's raining, then unpack and hang the hammock under shelter. Similarly, the tarp can get taken down last. I use a 3 part ridge line for the tarp when I do this:
    adjustable whoopie - carabiner - center ridgeline - carabiner - adjustable whoopie. The hammock ropes (very short whoopies or loopie sliings for minor adjustments) clip into the biners. One way to attach the tarp is to use 6" loops of strong shock cord (3/16" is good) to clip into the biners. At first, using an adjustable center ridge line might be good, so you can get the tension on the tarp ridge correct. After it's dialed in, replace it with a single line the right length.

There are other ways to do this. BearChaser has a good setup. But experiment! Figure out a new way.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images
    Well I went out and tried it in the back yard. It does work very well, but not as well as going straight to the trees. The Noah 12 is almost to big to run this way the way my set up is at home. My post and tree are only 16ft apart. Now if I were using a smaller tarp it would work great, but I'll keep running it to the trees for now.

I did get the chance to play with storm mode on it too. I think I found the way I like it being set up. It doesnt get pulled tight like I thought it would, but I'll live.

My Youtube page.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oper8or View Post
    Just wondering, has anyone ran their tarp on the same suspension as their hammock? I was considering this. Since I use the Kelty Noah 12 tarp, which is huge, I cant get it to close up in storm mode without putting it at the same height as my tree straps I use for the hammock. I was thinking a bouble toggle on each strap, maybe? I'd play with that theory but its really raining outside and I cannot do it inside the house. My first thought on it is about sag. I wonder if it would cause a great amount of sag when I lay in my hammock. Tell ya what. I'm going to try it out and see. I'll post my findings after I do some tests. It might be worth considering for those of us who use larger tarps.

I dont get it... as small as I am: I have a 10ft hammock and a 12ft tarp.. you'd think I could sleep in a coat sleeve and use a trash bag as a tarp.
    Sometimes I clip the tarp onto the same 'biner used in my treestraps' marlin spike hitch -this keeps it down close to the hammock for stormy weather.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Remember that with a typical gathered end hammock with a 100" ridgeline and a tarp with a 144" (12') ridgeline length that you have a physics problem to deal with. It is illustrated here by this diagram from Knotty.

As shown your 12' tarp will need to be hung higher off your hammock in order to clear your hammock suspension. There is no way around it. However, that shouldn't limit you in closing in your tarp ends to form doors. It just means that your tarp won't make it all the way to the ground.

One other thing to consider is rigging you tarp as shown below by dejoha to get that 'V' space so your tarp ridgeline doesn't interfere with your hammock suspension.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images
    @BrianWilliam thanks for the info! I tried a few different things with it. It does work, but the trees cannot be close together. I was able to get my hang correct even with the tarp attached to the same tree strap. I played with the distance between the toggles. I did not put the tarp and the hammock on the same set of toggles. This way I have enough room between them to keep the rub to a minimum. I found that 3-4 inches spacing between the toggles works well and will even allow me to put it into storm mode without changing my setup. Porch mode worked well too. I also had to change the attachment points on the RL. What I mean is this: I use prusik knots on my tarp line. I have 4 of them. 2 for the ends where it attaches to the trees and 2 for tightening up the RL of the tarp itself. I had to move the attachment points to the RL connections to get it to work right. I'll attach a pic to show what I mean.

My Youtube page.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Images
    Oper8or your set up looks great. How do you adjust for the droop in your suspension when you get into the hammock?
    Hammocking, car camping, backpacking, kayaking, and mountain biking. Getting in touch with nature is getting expensive. Good thing I can DIY!

BurningDaylightOutdoors Ebay Store - http://www.ebay.com/usr/burningdaylightoutdoors1

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Burning_Daylight View Post
    Oper8or your set up looks great. How do you adjust for the droop in your suspension when you get into the hammock?
    I have whoopies on it. I get in, evaluate, and then adjust.

My Youtube page.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    This is the SLS, single line suspension, that I use with a small modification.http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=32421 and another one I tried first.http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4719
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    This is the SLS, single line suspension, that I use with a small modification.http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=32421 and another one I tried first.http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4719
    I love that setup. I had already made the change to my ridgeline on my hammock kind of like what headchange did, except I used a double looped and of amsteel. I used a 2ft piece of amsteel with 1 inch loops on the end with a 8 inch bury. I then took my whoopies and doubled it over on itself in that loop. I ran my ridgeline off of that connection which extended my hammock by almost a foot or better. Didnt measure the whole thing after I finished. I did measure the added length of amsteel. It is 12 inches, including the loops. I dont really want to add any more loops to the line. It feels as though I'm already line crazy as it is.

Although I like the way you have your hammock ran on the carabiners. I may undo my locked loops and use carabiners instead. It may reduce fatigue on the lines. I've laid in it the way it is on 3 one night trips. I love having the ridge line higher and adding a foot on each end of the hammock at the ridgeline changed the lay of the hammock. I can get very flat now and its more comfy.. mmmm... comfy. Love it.

Here are the pics.

Last edited by Oper8or; 08-16-2012 at 00:19. Reason: add text

My Youtube page.

• + New Posts