Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    I have a lot of down things such as quilts, coats, hats etc. I use one of the high tech Wool Washes. I stopped using Woolite, it left too much residue.

Tennis balls, clean tennis shoes, and stopping the drier every so often to get the down dried. Watch what you use, you do not want to have an allergic response to substances you have used on your equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    I have used parts cheap vodka and water in a spray bottle. Gave my down a good dosing and then into the dryer with 5 tennis balls on no heat for half hour / hour. Always worked so far.

ive heard of the drying down with some tennise balls. what do the tennise balls do?

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie setx View Post
    ive heard of the drying down with some tennise balls. what do the tennise balls do?
    Gets that down all broke apart and fluffy, fluffy, super fluffy

thanks divab

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    I did end up using Febreeze Sport Extreme Odor Eliminator. This stuff is marvelous! It knocked out 90% of the odor on the first application. I did have to treat the feet area 3x, but my son has very very sweaty feet and that is no real surprise. But it did take care of the odor.

I would recommend this as a simple solution to odor issues on backpacking gear.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I don't like that particular type of Febreeze. I think it is mostly perfume. They make one type, with an orange top, that is antibacterial. I think it works best, by breaking down the stink instead of covering it. It is a little harder to find. The Target near me sells it.

The ozone generator idea is a really good one. It bombards the items with ozone and does a great job on stink. I don't know anyone who has one, but it is a common item for cleaning hockey gear. If you have a hockey rink or pro shop near you, call them and ask them if they have the machine at their facility. It is a huge metal box. For 5 or 6 dollars, you can put gear in it, shut the door and let it do its thing. No water or chemicals. I haven't considered using it for camping gear, but now I might. Hmmmm......

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    FWIW: we have both rosemary and lavender in rampant proportions outside the front door. When I get home, if it's sunny, I just drape my down over these and leave it till evening. Always comes out funk free and smelling fabulous. I've often thought, even before this thread, that if I didn't have it as part of the landscape, it would be worthwhile to plant one or both of the plants in a half barrel for this exact purpose. Just showed the wife the febreeze you located for gym bag purposes though...
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    i give my summer stuff a good spritzing with OdoBan around mid season and then again before i store them away for winter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Buffalo Skipper,

If my memory serve correctly, Weatherford's on E Cervantes St in P'cola carries down care products. Might be worth a visit...

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLScouthanger View Post
    Buffalo Skipper,

If my memory serve correctly, Weatherford's on E Cervantes St in P'cola carries down care products. Might be worth a visit...
    Thanks for the tip. I am my own worst enemy when I go in there. I will definately stop there first when I do decide to wash.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast