Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    I wonder if anyone has made a double layer crinkle taffeta just for strength (not for inserting a pad). I would consider making a new living room lounger this way just for strength and longevity. Although, my single layer crinkle taffeta is still going strong after many months of nightly use.
    Off topic but I made a double layer crinkle taffeta 120" for my heavy nephew and his girlfriend. End channel gathered end. Rolled the hems with one piece "inside" the other. Turned out very well.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Thanks for setting me straight Pips and samsara. My way of dealing with the floppy sides was to trim the excess off one side and then hem the edge.

The other thing I did was sew an Ikea down quilt to the underside. It took a little creativity to make that work but so far so good.

As far as material goes, my preference is the poly, by far. I also made a 60x126" crinkle taffeta, and it's fine, but after a couple years in a heavy duty cotton Brazilian, the polyester just felt more familiar (plus much less static).
    Last edited by Knotty; 12-28-2012 at 01:03.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post

I wonder if anyone has made a double layer crinkle taffeta just for strength (not for inserting a pad). I would consider making a new living room lounger this way just for strength and longevity. Although, my single layer crinkle taffeta is still going strong after many months of nightly use.
    Since you already have your retired poly tablecloth not being used, why not use that for the lower layer? You wouldn't feel it against your skin and it would give you some extra "holding power" and then the crinkle layer on top

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    ...The other thing I did was sew an Ikea down quilt to the underside. It took a little creativity to make that work but so far so good.

As far as material goes, my preference is the poly, by far. I also made a 60x126" crinkle taffeta, and it's fine, but after a couple years in a heavy duty cotton Brazilian, the polyester just felt more familiar (plus much less static).
    Wow! That sounds really toasty! You're right about the static that's for sure. I never knew that about the hanging angle of a Brazilian. That makes it very attractive in certain situations. Thanks, K! Sleep tight!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Ok, my bignormous tablecloth came yesterday. I sewed channels on each end this morning, made some mini-spreaders, and moved my big TurtleDog stand (actually I call it the TurtleDog 2.0 because the rail sits on top of the tripods rather than hanging down) into the house. I gave it a test run and woke up a couple of hours later.

Veeeeeeeeery comfortable... it is actually a close second to my big mayan hammock (but the mayan still wins). I could probably sleep on my stomach in this thing, very flat lay, very good for side sleeping, great lounging/tv watching hammock, the feel of the fabric is ok (but I give the feel of the DN a nod for being my favorite fabric), I love it! I'm actually a fan of having floppy sides available because I fold over the floppy part (which firms it up) and use that to rest my head on... it makes it not important to have a pillow.

I love this hammock! I will keep my ENO DN (my old every night hammock) as a backup and will also probably use it on my boat... but this is now my nightly sleeper for cool season and my mayan will be my summer hammock.

Thanks for posting this and finally giving me the nudge to pick one of these tablecloths up and go for it.

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I've moved my hang points out, increasing the spread from 188" to 244". The tablecloth Brazilian works at 188 but is more comfortable with more space. This drawing shows the dimensions and can be used to estimate wall or ceiling attachment points for different sized rooms.
    Knotty
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    HH Explorer, 2 or 3 others
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Pads + Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    Stock (for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by samsara View Post
    Ok, my bignormous tablecloth came yesterday. I sewed channels on each end this morning, made some mini-spreaders, and moved my big TurtleDog stand (actually I call it the TurtleDog 2.0 because the rail sits on top of the tripods rather than hanging down) into the house. I gave it a test run and woke up a couple of hours later.

Veeeeeeeeery comfortable... it is actually a close second to my big mayan hammock (but the mayan still wins). I could probably sleep on my stomach in this thing, very flat lay, very good for side sleeping, great lounging/tv watching hammock, the feel of the fabric is ok (but I give the feel of the DN a nod for being my favorite fabric), I love it! I'm actually a fan of having floppy sides available because I fold over the floppy part (which firms it up) and use that to rest my head on... it makes it not important to have a pillow.

I love this hammock! I will keep my ENO DN (my old every night hammock) as a backup and will also probably use it on my boat... but this is now my nightly sleeper for cool season and my mayan will be my summer hammock.

Thanks for posting this and finally giving me the nudge to pick one of these tablecloths up and go for it.

Dave

Please explain the "mini-spreader" concept. Does it help with the side flop?

Hammock
    diy wildcrafter
    Tarp
    UGQ preproduction
    Insulation
    UGQ all the way
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    in the brazilian area these hammocks are woven on looms and the suspension is tails of the weave braided together. I had the chance to see them being made on my trip to aruba much to heavy for backpacking but beautiful designs.
    welcome to planet earth no one gets out alive

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    ScottDale, you can find info on mini spreader bars in this thread started by Redoleary.
    Knotty
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    HH Explorer, 2 or 3 others
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Pads + Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    Stock (for now)
    Thanks Knotty, I subscribed to Red's thread but haven't made my way through it completely. Ordering a 90"w tablecloth and will monkey with the spreader...

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast