Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Grand Canyon

I am planning a hike between Christmas and NewYears. Grand Canyon is high on my list. Does anyone know if hammocks are permitted and are there enough trees to do so? Also does anyone know what temps to expect? If anyone one wants in on this let me know because I am going solo.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Dutch,

I was out there in 2006. We spent time on the North and South Rim. On the South Rim it would be a challenge to find suitable spots to hang from. On the North Rim there are tons of spots to hang from.

I am not sure what the rules are in the park. We camped outside the park off of a dirt road (it was either 611 or 211). This is the view from my tent (we spent two weeks in the desert on that trip so we knew we would not be able to hang for 95% of the trip).

-Don

Dutch-

Hubby and I hiked to Bright Angel Campground from the South Rim eight-plus years ago. At that time, nothing was allowed to be attached to trees in the inner canyon campgrounds. I can't speak to dispersed camping and you might be able to rig something from boulders. Our trip was shortly before I discovered using hammocks for backpacking, so I do not recall asking about regs in the campgrounds on either rim. Try checking out the NPS website for the park, and/or call the service managing established large campgrounds and ask about hammock rules. We WERE allowed to hang in Yellowstone and in Grand Teton about 6 years ago.

Dang, I'd love to join you!

Regards,

Rosaleen

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    call the BCO at 928-638-7875
    http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisi...ght-hiking.htm has info on canyon permits, trails, can answer your questions about hammocking im sure. I have never seen anything on the literature about protecting trees from hammocks. This is of course my suspicion that you want to camp in the inner basin, or at any of the hundreds of possible campspots inside the canyon.
    Temps will be from 30-40 at the bottom. (even in january) with highs in the 55-65 range.
    I dont imagine you were asking about temps on top of the rim, but if you do plan on camping up there you better consider something besides a hammock, it is at 7000' and you can expect january to reach 0 or less on some nights- and usually very windy (30mph) but, there are a ton of trees.

im going to give you an insider's trick, works most of the time.
    Fill out this form, and be ready to fax it in... leave the part about your desired route empty until you call the BCO and ask them if they have any openings for your desired route/date. When the ranger tells you he has X amount of permits for (lets just say Hance Creek campground) a campspot, write it on the form and fax it in right away. Its almost guaranteed. Then again, I have been to the walk up window 2x and gotten what I wanted without any issue. January is a slow month. Just dont try this in April, or October.
    btw... there are good trees down there, its much more than an inhospitable desert like people are taught to believe, there are numerous areas full of ripairain oasis with cottonwood, sycamore, walnut, ash, and other large ones. however, you may just have to prepare to hang from some unconventional means.
    http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisi...it-request.pdf

check out this picture of Cottonwood Creek from the Grandview trail that I took last year. You're gonna love it out here. Prepare to pack your furniture. Also, for the best place in the world to research trails in AZ, visit www.hikearizona.com

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Thanks for the replies and thanks for the pics. They are really helping me to seal the deal on going to GC.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    HH HyperLite w/ Zipper Mod#2
    Tarp
    MC Spinntex Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Wash 3 & 4

Heading out Oct 10

I'm heading out there Oct 10-20. We are doing the Boucher-Tonto-Hermit trails. I assumed it would be to hard to hammock camp so I'll be going to the ground. Ughh. Don't have much flexibility as I'll be with seven other tenters. When I get back I'll post an update on possible hanging spots.

- Bill

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

maybe?

Nothing is allowed to be attached to the trees in the corridor campgrounds.

I did a 5 night hike below the rim in May 2008. I hung 3 of five nights. My hang kit is two 30 foot pieces of 1" webbing, triglides and a #5 & a #7 cam. I could have hung all 5 nights if I sacrificed views. Only one night was my hammock suspended between two trees.

I am going back for 4 nights in November 2008, but sleeping on the ground. Too many compromises to hang a hammock.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    HH HyperLite w/ Zipper Mod#2
    Tarp
    MC Spinntex Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Wash 3 & 4

Grand Canyon

Just got back from the canyon and had a fantastic time. Once you get off the rim and drop into the canyon hanging options are very limited unless you are creative and flexible. We slept on the ground but right out under the stars every night. You would need to use the large boulders and have plenty of straps and cams to hang. What a wonderful place to backpack!

- Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billslade View Post
    I'm heading out there Oct 10-20. We are doing the Boucher-Tonto-Hermit trails. I assumed it would be to hard to hammock camp so I'll be going to the ground. Ughh. Don't have much flexibility as I'll be with seven other tenters. When I get back I'll post an update on possible hanging spots.

- Bill
    I look forward to hearing how it went, I did this a few years back and did it the opposite direction. I loved this route. Did it in the hote summer time and roasted though.

Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    Dutch,

On the North Rim there are tons of spots to hang from.
    The North Rim is closed in Winter. Not just closed as in visitor center and amenities not open, closed as in roads closed. It's possible to drive as far as you can and hike several miles in (possibly in deep snow/ice), but probably not what you had in mnd.
    HUGS - J

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast