First time hanger long time camper

I know I know, there is the search feature, but I could not find a clear answer to this one.

The plan is to go on a 2 day 1 night hike on the AT in the mountains of VA in mid to late October. Average low temperature is 42 where we are going, but obviously I have to assume it could get down to 32.

We are looking at the Grand Trunk SkeeterBeeter Ultralite Hammocks. Here is where the question comes in.

I have a 0 degree mummy bag that keeps me warm when the temperature is below 32 and I am just in my boxers. Do you think I need an underquilt? This is definitely a budget hike, so if I can save the money on this I will. But on the other hand, I do know what its like to be COLD at night. Not just...I'm cold, but the shivering not able to close my eyes cold.

So yeah, assume temp can get to 32 degrees. I am in a Hammock with a 0 degree mummy bag. Do I need an underquilt, and if I do, would just a sleeping pad work for the time being.

Thanks

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie
    This is shug's happy place!! Go on YouTube and watch Shug's videos. There are at least 15 of him in stupid cold and loving it.
    Carpe noctem!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeinajeep View Post
    This is shug's happy place!! Go on YouTube and watch Shug's videos. There are at least 15 of him in stupid cold and loving it.
    Alright, sounds good. Thanks for the info. I have seen a bunch of his pages/links to videos, just haven't looked into them yet.

If you have a sleeping pad I dont see anything wrong with not havong an underquilt. I still dont have one and have been down to 45 comfortably in a 20 deg bag and nothing else. Just started playing with bads in my Single layer Blackbird. So you having a 0 deg you should be okay with that and a pad. But if you have money to buy a 20 deg underquilt, it would be better. OR you could make a DIY Poncho Liner underquilt for now if you dont have the money to buy one. Good luck

-Jeremy

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Is it a down bag or a synthetic? If it's a down bag, I'd err on the side of caution and add a pad and a Speer Pad Extender to ensure that your sides don't get cold. Call it ~$20 invested, assuming you have a sewing machine (or are willing to glue wings to a pad; same idea).

If it's a synthetic bag, you would definitely be able to get by with a standard pad at those temperatures, with no wings. Mostly because a synthetic bag won't compress as much on your sides. I wouldn't trust the bag at its rated 0* temp without some extra under insulation, but at thirty degrees higher? Yeah, I'd gamble on that.

Hope it helps!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey there. I would use a pad in the hammock for sure. As well as the sleeping bag.
    Have a fun time out there.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

[QUOTE=Shug;788700]Hey there. I would use a pad in the hammock for sure. As well as the sleeping bag.
    Have a fun time out there.
    Shug

Thanks for the responses everyone. Shug, I been watching your videos all morning. Great videos!Being as this is my first hammock trip, I am probably just gonna grab myself this pad.

So I got a really good deal on this. And I also ordered the SkeeterBeeter UltraLite Grand Trunk hammock. With the 0 degree and the average low temp being 42, I figure that should do.

• + New Posts