Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks

posting from my hammock on the MIssissippi

It's almost 8:30 and I'm in my HH on a bluff along the mighty Mississippi. It's almost dark and a barge is making it's way up the river far below me. Had a good meal and a nice cup of Starbucks instant coffee. There's a cool breeze out of the east which is Illinois blowing west into Missouri. I'm on the Peewah trail in the Trail of Tears State park. It was hot hiking but it's supposed to drop down to 58 tonight. First time out with the new Edge tarp and the Phoenix 3/4 under quilt. Life can be good even when it's hard. Seems somehow wrong to have a signal and be posting but felt like sharing. Saw a deer come down to the river and wade around drinking....another barge...

Enjoy the night
    Gideon
    Last edited by Gideon; 08-11-2012 at 20:34.

It sounds like a great place to hang

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Nice post, Gideon, nice.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WL Snipe,DIY,WB XLC
    Tarp
    HG,OES CF
    Insulation
    Yeti,Phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    This break in heat for Missouri is nice.
    Have fun!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Great description. I can picture it now. Wish I were out of doors hanging tonight. Guess I'll live vicariously through you for now

sounds like a nice night along the river
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    Curious, how are you posting? When I try to read forums like this one with my HTC EVO smart phone via Sprint, it doesn't seem to work very well. Thanks,

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    Curious, how are you posting? When I try to read forums like this one with my HTC EVO smart phone via Sprint, it doesn't seem to work very well. Thanks,
    Ditto.???

App?
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Hi all; I surived my hike and didn't break loose and roll off the cliff into the Mississippi. first off, I was using a Blackberry on AT&T. It's a work phone on a data plan; the company allows personal use and directed me to have it.

It was the first break in heat and I'm glad I took advantage of it. Asked every one of my kids if they wanted to come but all declined.

The night was great; pushed the UQ to one side as it was too hot until the middle of the night. left the bug netting unzipped and pushed over the ridgeline. It was cool and wonderful. Could see the lights miles off in Illinois and someone erected a giant white cross that's higher than anything around it for 50+ miles. I'll have to see if I can learn about that.

I would wake up whenever a tug boat came up or down river pushing barges. The lights were spectacular, blue ones on the boats with two spot lights that must have been 5 million watt lights, they'd use one on the port side and the other on the starboard to light up the navigational bouy's. Beautiful. One woke me up around 1:00 am and the moon was up casting a beautiful reflection on the river. During the night something walked by the tent making a really cute "peep peeeeep" sound. Couldn't hear it walking which was odd because it was close and the leaves/forest floor are so dry you can hear small lizards. Tried to suprise it by turning on my lamp but never saw anything. Been in the woods alot over nearly 50 years and never heard anything like it.

The rising sun woke me; breathtaking. And then a cup of coffee. Guys, the Starbucks instant coffee in little tubes are expensive but they're good. I think I'd buy all the gear and backpack/hang just for the sheer pleasure of making and drinking a cup of coffee in a place like that....wierd I know.

The Phoenix Underquilt is perfect, just perfect. My Warbonnet edge tarp...
    -has an odd black mark on it, almost like a hot edge touched it; will tell the maker and see if they'll replace it
    -Tried hanging with the full ridgeline "above" the hammock as suggested by the maker; I'm going to put the tarp "over" the ridge line so it's a tigher profile.
    -Used Nite-ize sbiner, 9-biner and their reflective green cord to make my tarp ridge line. Worked great, the 9-biners are FANTASTIC, one of the best little pieces of gear out there. Had that on the end opposite of the sbiner. So, wrap the sbiner end around a tree, stretch it to and around the 2nd tree and use the 9biner dangling from a prussic knot to draw it tight.
    -I used "bank line" for my tie outs on the tarp; I DON'T LIKE it. I think bankline is great to have for your "cordage" and would be as good if not better than paracord for survival/backwould purposes but it tangles a lot easier than paracord or the Nite-ize cord. I'll replace it with Nite-ize

In the morning after coffee I practice pitching my tarp different ways, high open porch, low battened down for a storm. I used titanium Ultralight sheppards hook pegs from Vargo Outdoors. They're super light weight, hold well and are strong (don't bend) much. You owe it to yourself to check them out to replace any pegs you're currently using.

I need a better pair of trekking poles. I've been using a pair from Walmart to see if I really like them....I love using poles. Same motion as my eliptical. Uses more energy/calories but helps take the load off bad knees and back. the Walmart kind are adjustable and they keep slipping/getting smaller. Need a good quality pair.

Okay, here's a funny one; my son took my brand knew Merril Hiking boots to a work day for an organization without asking....I noticed and told him these were expensive and just for hiking! This hike was the first hike since he did that. My toes hurt on the right foot and when I took the boot off last night I noticed a cut in the leather on the right foot, right side. Looks like he was using a shovel or pick and hit his foot while working. Bottom line, he ruined a $170 dollar pair of hiking boots. I love him....I love him....

The Osprey Atmos 50 pack is simply an outstading pack.

I enjoyed the solitude but was lonely at the same time; can't wait for the Missouri Hang with other forum members on the 22nd & 23rd of September.

Enjoy the new week everyone.
    Gideon

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest... So far
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Cheeseburgers
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    PICs I want PICs!!!
    "Think Outside the Tent"