Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

First timer: need lightweight compact comfortable up to $200

Hi,
    So yeah, first timer here and although this is the typical noob question I'm still having a hard time sorting through all the options.

I have a budget of up to 200$. Need lightweight and compactible for dual sport motorcycle camping. Needs to pack small (weight could be up to a couple lbs, maybe 3 at most with extra straps etc.).
    I've been eyeing the Hennessy Hammocks, particulary the Expedition Asym Zip, but after reading reviews on this site I'm realizing there's lots more options.

Here's where you come in.
    Based on my needs, can anyone throw out some recommendations?

thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    DIY Vinyl-for now
    Insulation
    Pad w/sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    I'm a big fan of the Warbonnet Blackbird. Less than 2pounds and compresses down to about an 7 inch long 4 inch diameter cylinder and is less than $200

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Old Eddie Bauer
    Insulation
    Bag and pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Might I ask where in Bellingham you live?

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I just ordered a Grand Truck Ultralight from Campmor for $20 (10 oz) with Hammock Bliss Straps for $12 (2.5 oz).

I intend to order some 7/64" Amsteel to make my own ridge lines, whoopie slings, guy lines, prusiks, and some soft shackles.

This is the tarp I like, 10' x 10' (1 lb 4 oz) for $160: http: //www.shop.cookecustomsewing.com/product.sc;jsessionid=A397BB30834D55B9351886FABFB3 1822.qscstrfrnt02?productId=175&categoryId=12

If you come to the White Buffalo Bikefest you can hang in my back yard: http://www.bikerplaza.com/event-Whit...-Bikefest.html

Mike

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Keep in mind things like the WB and GT don't come with tarps so that will be more $ on top of the hammock cost.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    You will need a....

Hammock (does it come with a suspension system ?)

Tarp (some line for ties outs and stakes)

UQ (under quilt)..could use a foam pad but they are bulky, a true UQ will compress into a small size

TQ (Top quilt) could use a sleeping bag

Watch Shugs videos to get an idea of how the diffent gear works

remember to have fun
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

You say you have a budget of up too 200$. You don't mention what it is that you need, or what you have already!

I would suggest that you watch the Shug series of vids for newbies, and do some reading on here after you watch the vids. The Shug vids will give you a great start to having a better understanding of hammock camping.

There are a multitude of choices for hammocks (many threads on here on every one)!

Many threads on insulation as well, which you "Will" need, be it a pad or underquilt for your under insulation, then either a topquilt or a sleeping bag for you top insulation.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

+1 on reading through the forum for about a day or so and watching Shugs video series.

Here is a link to the thread with the series of Shug videos I was referencing

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15516

There are also many other great videos from other HF members that give great information, and may answer some of your initial questions.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Of course you can always buy two light-duty 6-by-8 tarps at your local Wally World, some 550 paracord and cheap stakes and a roll of Gorilla tape to put together a pretty workable, but not small-packing weather protection system. Total, maybe $20, probably a lot less if you have items laying around home.

That leaves you with $180 or so for a hammock, suspension and top/bottom insulation.

If you have room, a blue closed-cell is cheap for under you. Also check your local Army-Navy surplus for Wubbies (AKA quilted, insulated poncho liners - like a blanket with ties to go to your suspension.) Also consider a Thermarest or similar.

Depending on if you are a hot or cold sleeper, get yourself an appropriate top insulation - a fleece blanket, sleeping bag or something like that. Big Agnes makes bags with no bottom insulation but a slot for a sleeping pad instead.

And for the hammock, lots of sub-$100 options exist - ENO, Grand Trunk, a DIY, etc.

Cool part is, only a few weeks ago when I joined HF, I didn't know most of that stuff above. This place is great!
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast