Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Hammock camping with no trees/in desert

In a few weeks I will be heading out to Colorado to spend a couple months hitchhiking from there out to California, SF, with a good friend of mine. Since were saving all our for the trip, he doesn't have money to get a hammock and thus will be stuck in a tent. Either way, we will be heading across the desert and I was wondering what solutions or suggestions anybody has for hammocking without a place to hang (as I am only bringing my hammock, no tent). I have seen the hiking pole solution, but i don't typically use hiking poles and have limited room in my pack...I am also not taking a bike, just thumbing my way. Are there any cheap/DIY/lightweight solutions to this, as I will only be using it when stuck in a flat place, would love to hear any ideas. perhaps something like a collapsible pole? Thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    If all you want is a way to prop up your bugnet and hold a tarp, when you camp on the ground, there are lots of options in lightweight, collapsible tent poles.

Hammock
    BIAS WW, DIY
    Tarp
    Toxaway, Tadpole
    Insulation
    Phoenix,Yeti, Bag
    Suspension
    WB Adj.,or Whoopie
    Images
    Walmart has hiking poles for about twenty bucks. Ive used mine all summer for porch mode for my tarp, they work great.

What hammock are you using? You could get sew some loops on it and get spreader or bow bars to make it live a bivy and just put the tarp right on top if it and weigh down the tarp in the edges with gear if your really wanted to go light.

Hammock
    The one I'm in
    I've done a lot of hitchin' in my day. So I'm going to give you a different piece of info.
    Best way to do pond distant hitches are to use truckers, best way to get a ride from a trucker is from a truck stop
    Go into a truck stop early 4amish get some coffee. Talk a lot with your waitress and let her know y'all are trying to find a ride. They are key to this
    Once you find the guy ( and traveling in pairs you might need to split up ) be cool and conversational.if he isn't going all the way and he thinks your a all right guy, he will most likely get on the cb and get your connection ride.
    Always keep a knife hidden on your right hand side, just cause. With a lanyard for quick use if need be.
    I have made it from Cali to FL. In 3days this way. So this should let you blow right threw the deserts and find some trees
    Be cool, and keep your guard up
    Hope this helps, and y'all have a great trip

Hammock
    The one I'm in
    Oh yeah don't be surprise if you get dropped of in the middle of nowhere waiting for a connection
    This happened one time to me in bum phuct Iowa it was a bit creepy. No lights for as far as the eye could see. I was out there for a couple hours waiting for phyco killer ( in my head ) but lone behold a big rig showed up, said my name, and got me across three more states

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog

fence posts

This is not recommended, but from London Homesick Blues "If a Texan thinks that there's a chance, then chances will be taken."

Many roads in the West are fenced on both sides to keep cattle off of the road.

Where two fences meet at a corner, both fence posts before the one corner post are reinforced to reduce the sideways pull on the corner post. I've hung across the diagonal using those two next-to-the-corner posts.

While hiking on a two track road in a remote area, after checking to see if the adjacent field was occupied (didn't see any fresh cow droppings), I opened a barbed wire gate and hung across the opening. I set up late, then got up early, so no one saw me.

Hammock
    Handmade string & 1.1 dbl DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    Take an extra bit of amsteel, rope, or webbing. These can be used around larger objects like boulders and stuff. Most terrain has all kinds of stuff you can hang from. Hunt for sticks you can use for tripods. If theres a will there's a way. Don't be afraid to be creative. I was able to successfully hang from two nail heads that were nearly flush to the walls of a shed. Test the weight before you jump in so you don't end up being dumped.

Awesome, thank you for all the responses. I can't wait to get creative and see all the ways to hang! Though as a more permanent light weight solution, I've decided to take a strong, heavy duty tent pole from an old busted up tent, drill a small hole in one end it to thread my tarp and suspension through and then tie to off or knot it. Haven't tested though yet, though am hoping i'll have some success. I'll shoot some pics when i get the thing set up!

easy does it!, youre depending on the kindness of strangers----how you look is important ...a tent pole sticking out of a back pack, might suggest a weapon of some kind. a hank of rope, inside of that backpac to rig an acceptable hang might be a better choice..just saying

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast