DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by XSrcing View Post
    I'd gladly sacrifice all of my gear if I knew it would help save a puppy.

I hope Missy finds a forever home.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway &amp; Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator &amp; Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Dogs are pack animals with very strong loyalty and emotions...the look on her face while being rescued by her new pack is priceless. Made my eyeballs sweat to think of her being left to die of dehydration etc by this creep.

In the Facebook comments several said the "owner" had heard she was rescued and wanted her back (the answer was NO). That after abandoning her for 6 days when she hurt her paws. Anyone up for a road trip to drag him to the top of the mountain, break his feet and hands, and walk away!?

Disclaimer for the humor challenged;
    Law Dawg (ret) was joking and would never actually plan to harm another human being like this...well almost never.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    Anyone up for a road trip to drag him to the top of the mountain, break his feet and hands, and walk away!?
    Sign me up...

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie&amp; strap
    Images
    Hammocks not just for sleeping
    It's not the fall im scared of, it's the sudden stop at the end!!!

Only hang as high as your willing to fall- H.F. member

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I live in Colorado and have heard a lot about this story in the last few days.

For those of you not from the area, you need to understand how dangerous 14ers can be, and how often people hike them unprepared, and not realizing the danger, even on the supposedly easy ones. If you get stuck on one of these mountains when a freak lightning storm blows in, as often occurs, it is utterly terrifying. Ever been above treeline and looked at the hairs on your arm and they were standing completely on end? I have. It's not fun. Every version of this story I've heard says that the owner retreated and abandoned the dog because a storm was coming, and he panicked. They also say he tried to contact the police and SAR groups and they refused to help him look for the dog. Only when the story got media attention did people go and rescue the pup.

Was he incredibly irresponsible to take a dog on a dangerous summit of a 14'er? Yes. Do thousands of people make the same mistake every year? YES.

It's easy to sit here and armchair quarterback, saying you would carry your dog down if it took your last breath, but when you are on the mountain and you hear the thunder rumbling, it awakens something very deep and visceral inside of you. I love my dogs, to the point that I spend far more money on them than the average pet owner, yet I am not willing to sit here and claim I know what I would have done in the same situation. The mountains are scary and Mother Nature can be brutal. The only thing I can say I would have done differently is to not take a dog with me in the first place.

the owner of the dog wants him back now. here is the latest

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...opstories.html
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Old Eddie Bauer
    Insulation
    Bag and pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I live in Colorado and have heard a lot about this story in the last few days.

For those of you not from the area, you need to understand how dangerous 14ers can be, and how often people hike them unprepared, and not realizing the danger, even on the supposedly easy ones. If you get stuck on one of these mountains when a freak lightning storm blows in, as often occurs, it is utterly terrifying. Ever been above treeline and looked at the hairs on your arm and they were standing completely on end? I have. It's not fun. Every version of this story I've heard says that the owner retreated and abandoned the dog because a storm was coming, and he panicked. They also say he tried to contact the police and SAR groups and they refused to help him look for the dog. Only when the story got media attention did people go and rescue the pup.

Was he incredibly irresponsible to take a dog on a dangerous summit of a 14'er? Yes. Do thousands of people make the same mistake every year? YES.

It's easy to sit here and armchair quarterback, saying you would carry your dog down if it took your last breath, but when you are on the mountain and you hear the thunder rumbling, it awakens something very deep and visceral inside of you. I love my dogs, to the point that I spend far more money on them than the average pet owner, yet I am not willing to sit here and claim I know what I would have done in the same situation. The mountains are scary and Mother Nature can be brutal. The only thing I can say I would have done differently is to not take a dog with me in the first place.
    Not sure why you are trying to justify the man's mistake, but re-read the thread and you will see that no one "armchair quarterbacked".

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XSrcing View Post
    Not sure why you are trying to justify the man's mistake, but re-read the thread and you will see that no one "armchair quarterbacked".
    I saw several people being mighty quick to judge and talk about the punishments that should be doled out. I am not justifying him, but saying people are too quick to judge or jump to attack someone.

I've seen it plenty of other places beyond this hammock forums thread, as well, and most of the idiots who have been commenting have never even driven to the top of Mt. Evans, let alone hiked a 14er. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes and all that...

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Dogs are pack animals with very strong loyalty and emotions...the look on her face while being rescued by her new pack is priceless. Made my eyeballs sweat to think of her being left to die of dehydration etc by this creep.

In the Facebook comments several said the "owner" had heard she was rescued and wanted her back (the answer was NO). That after abandoning her for 6 days when she hurt her paws. Anyone up for a road trip to drag him to the top of the mountain, break his feet and hands, and walk away!?

Law Dawg (ret) was joking and would never actually plan to harm another human being like this...well almost never.
    took the words out of my mouth

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images

I see that it's meant as a joke, but: Yea, I volunteer for that trip!!!!!!!

All of my current pets are at my house because of b******s like that. So I would have no problems,,,,,,,

K, I'm done!
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast