Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help with Whoopies and Tarp

I am new to the hammock thing, I have an eno dn with some altlas straps, and I want to get a ridgeline and some whoopies I think from reading. Weight is not really an issue, but it looks like they add adjustibility as well, so I want the most out of my hammock. But I can't really figure out what I need exactly and the right video or demo on how to do it. Also is the ridgeline optional as if I am just chilling in the park wouldn't it possibly get in the way? Also a good UQ option in case I want to go camping with it.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Are you wanting to make your own whoopies or just buy them? If you want to make them there are endless Youtube videos on making whoopies. All you need is some Amsteel, 7/64 or 1/8, and some really small guage wire or guitar string for splicing.

Your ridgeline likely won't be in the way, mine isn't when I'm lounging. But you can make it detachable by simply putting a ridgeline biner at one end. Then you can just unclip it when you don't want it. For that you'll want something like Zing It, Amsteel or Dynaglide and a ridgeline biner.

You can't go wrong with any of the UQ vendors on here. It's all about personal preference. Asking that question is likely to get you a ton of responses that will probably mention just about every quilt vendor on here. They are all good quality so it's just a matter going to the sites and figuring out which one suits you personally.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    WWM,ENO SN, DIY,WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    DOWN :)
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    here is a link on how to install whoopies on an ENO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXlwPKoKw9Q

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO Dry Fly
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I've got a DN also and I'm using slapstraps with whoopie slings. I'm using toggles to attach the slings to the straps. Shug does a great job on showing how to set it all up.
    Check out my (mostly) outdoor themed t-shirt design elements! Oblivious Art and Design Make your own custom tees! Hammock inspired designs to come!

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    You kind of wasted your money on the atlas straps because whoopies would replace them you can get an all in one system at any of the cottage vendors (arrowhead equipment, Jacks R Better, (I suggest this one) Whoopieslings.com (Stu's and oppies store). Tarp I suggest you check out wilderness logics or, Jacks R. Better or Warbonnet (warbonnetguys store great stuff). Ridgeline I would refer you to silversurfer or Dutch (has a great store for ridge line stuff). DO NOT BUY ENO TARP OR UNDER QUILT THEIRS IS CRAP.

In your case if it really gets cold get an underquilt from one of the cottage vendors here top quilt you can get from any of these cottage vendors here. Hanging is incredibly expensive make sure you are willing to pump enough money. Hammock gear, war bonnet and wilderness logics, Jacks R. Better, go lite make good stuff for top quilts. Go lite does not make under quilts though. If it does not get that cold like 40 F I would sugeest making a pad expander or buying the Eno hotspot. Enjoy hammocking also watch Shug videos their entertaining and incredibly instructive.
    Bacon and Camping makes me happy.

"When life gives you lemons throw them back"
    Me

I camp in bear country and I am a bear Burrito.

Thank you for all the help!

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    IMO if you aren't worried about weight, and you already have atlas straps, try them out a few times before you just switch to whoopies. You may really like using the straps, so no need to switch out, ya know? Then again ymmv.

If you want a really good beginner's tarp for rather inexpensive, a good one I suggest is the Kelty Noah's 9 or 12. A lot of people on the forum use them.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Watch shug's videos they are very informative

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 0*
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Second watching Shug's videos
    I may be lost but I am making great time.

“It was so cold that If the thermometer had been an inch longer, we'd have frozen to death.” ~ Mark Twain

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjahamockman View Post
    Hanging is incredibly expensive make sure you are willing to pump enough money.
    Completely inaccurate. My whole set up has cost me less than $150. ENO DoubleNest, DIY Whoopie Slings, Tree straps salvaged from some ratchet straps, DIY Poncho Liner underquilt with a built-in zipper to add another layer of insulation, HUG Bug Net, and a graciously donated tarp from another HF member.

It's only expensive if you let it be. Hanging on a budget can be even more fun, 'cause you put thought and ingenuity into your gear, and often it's something you can be proud of.

Also, +1 to Shugs video series.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast