Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie

Yeah, the Newbie is hooked (or hung)

As I mentioned earlier today in the First Hammock Experiment- Fail post. I decided to go to Joann's and get some fabric to build my own hammock.

I found some non-ripstop nylon that felt really tough. I have no idea if it's 1.7 or 1.9 but it's heavy duty for sure. I bought 4 yards. I also got some polypro webbing for my tree straps (although I have plenty of climbing webbing) and some good quality nylon thread.

I then went to Sportsman's Warehouse and bought some Sterling 4mm cord rated at 1034 lbs.

As per Just John's DIY instructions I cut 9 1/2 feet from the 12 feet of cloth leaving me with more than enough left over to make several stuff sacks. After about 15 minutes of trying to remember how the sewing machine works I stared sewing. (Years ago I made a bunch of Frostline kits. A sleeping pad, a jacket, and a backpack. So I have sewn at one point in my life several decades ago)

Once I got the beast figured out I rolled the edge and ran a seam all the way around. Then I rolled the edge and sewed it again.

I gathered the ends and whipped them. Then I went outside and tried it out. Here's what I ended up with.

At first I tried tying it to a loop in the tree webbing. But the webbing knots get so tight that it's tough to adjust.

So I tried a marlin spike.

That seemed to work great. I tried it out and nothing broke or ripped.

Things I've learned already:

1) That Sterling cord stretches way too much. As I sit in the hammock I can see it moving and stretching.

2) I can absolutely see the advantage of a structural ridge line. As I lay in the hammock it wants to fold up along it's length. It's not easy to lay at a diagonal. I can see how setting the sag would be really helpful.

3) I think I'm hooked. I found Shug's videos on Wednesday. I bought the book "Hammock Camping" yesterday. I joined HF last night and I built a hammock today. Is there an hammock intervention meeting I can go to?
    Last edited by GregB; 08-18-2012 at 22:25.

We choose to refer to it as a hobby, rather than an addiction - so no need for meetings or 12 steps, etc... Just pure unfettered enjoyment of the craft and your skill (learned or yet to be learned)
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    You're off to a perfect start! Looks good :-) and welcome to HF

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Noticed you hung over a nice soft bunch of greenery. Welcome aboard.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY SL/DL Ripstop/DIY Taffeta
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/HH Hex
    Insulation
    PLTQ/Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie/M Spk
    Very nice man! The DIY bug is killer. As you may know from making other things in the past. Once you start, you don't stop!

You didn't ask but I'll give my 2 cents and experiences to constructively criticize your pics.

Your hems look great! Keep an eye on the whipping so that it doesn't slip out. Whipping looks great and if it slips, you may be able to just pull it back out without undoing your great looking knot. Looks like you got the angle right. It was way to tight in the first pic. But you changed it, and looks good. And yes, structural ridgelines are awesome.

Lastly, you marlin knot looks awesome. But i would keep an extra pine dowel on hand. When i used them they would crunch over time at the knot. Taking the 3/8" dowel down to an 1/8" dowel in the middle. I weigh 230 lbs. So to keep from having to have stock in pine dowels i went to oak dowels, then to carbon arrow dowels.

Looks like you got it down pat! I apologize for being a critic, just trying to help out. Keep up the good work, and look forward to seeing your next project and trip reports!
    It's a hammock thing, you won't understand!

The wife no longer kicks me out of bed after she saw a hammock hanging in the dog house.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Heath, don't apologize for being a critic. That's how I'm going to learn this stuff.

I used dowels because it's what I had on that day. But I think I'm going to jump to arrow shafts as well. Hey, it's only day one and I've already learned a ton.