Gathered End
    Tarp
    Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Arrow Alternative to whoopee sling....

I was roaming around youtube and found this video. It's pretty interesting. Looks like their's more adjustably with this guys method. What do you guys think?

http://youtu.be/nJ88JeVkyrY
    The more T.V I watch, the less I feel like my self.

My You Tube Videos below...

http://www.youtube.com/user/FALKORDOG?feature=guide

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    That's a very good video. Almost everything he says is dead on, and it includes a lot of useful information.

It's a good tutorial on making a locked brummel splice as well (although I personally don't like the sellotape approach, and prefer to use a folded piece of thin wire to pull the ends through, rather than pushing them).

Nice find!
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    All sound techniques. I still use the line and strap on one of my rigs and I like it too. I don't disagree with his preference over whoopies any more than choosing one knot over another.

I do prefer whoopies for ease of fine tuning and I have found more than a couple of ways to work around the limitation of how short they can be adjusted. I will admit that the whoopies do weigh more, an extra 12' of amsteel blue 7/64 would weigh just over half an ounce but you loose some if not all of the savings when you add steel rings back into your suspension.

I just don't understand how he can not like whoopies. It's such a fun and friendly sounding word!

David

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    stock / webbing
    I use a singleline suspension with adj SMC slider rings for adj on each end. The pics show the cord I had for testing I am now using amsteel ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345384178.535665.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1345384200.618047.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1345384217.001549.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1345384231.787526.jpg

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I must be missing something here.
    First off - I don't particularly like whoopies and don't use them...but...
    He says one of the advantages of whoopies is less wear on the rope than if using knots (agreed).
    But then he replaces the whoopie with a line and a knot (??).
    Also, to make an adjustment with his system means retying the knot. That give plenty of adjustability but no advantage over many other methods.
    Seems to me that all he gains is a few feet less amsteel and the ability to adjust to a shorter length than with the whoopie setup he showed at the start.
    Like I said, I must be missing something.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Seems to me that all he gains is a few feet less amsteel and the ability to adjust to a shorter length than with the whoopie setup he showed at the start.
    True, but to some those two advantages could be reason enough to use his system.

I've been experimenting with dynaglide loopie slings to enable shorter tree-to-tree distances, and with practice I've gotten quite comfortable with them, but still not at the point where I could quickly hang my hammock in the dark without a headlamp (which I think I could manage with a whoopie sling suspension). I'm tempted to try the method shown in the video, because it seems simple enough. I'm not sure I'd use it for winter camping, though.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    Like I said, I must be missing something.
    That was his whole point in the video. Using a whoopie sling adds to the minimum distance between trees. In his camping environment his trees must be closer together. This also will dictate how big his tarp can be as well.

This is another case of HYOH. He showed the system he prefers to use and why he uses it versus the alternatives.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    When I first got my Blackbird, before the Whoopie Sling craze swept hammock forums, I used the line-and-tree-strap method. It wasn't exactly the same as this setup (I hate toggles with whoopies, and I hate them without), but it was the same general idea of tying a knot.

It annoyed the crap out of me. Every time you decide you don't like your hang angle, you have to untie and retie it. I didn't like it at all.

Also, for a skinny dude like him, a slipped half hitch might hold in slick cordage. For a fat guy like me, not a chance. I used a slipped buntline hitch most of the time.

Hammock
    The one I'm in
    My question is why even use a brummel, just tie a Duncan loop. Could some tell me why this is done?

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O View Post
    I was roaming around youtube and found this video. It's pretty interesting. Looks like their's more adjustably with this guys method. What do you guys think?

http://youtu.be/nJ88JeVkyrY
    This is 18 minutes long, and I can't recall whether I've watched this before.
    Tell us in a written 100 words (or less) what was special here, so most of us can know from 30 seconds or less reading, whether 18 minutes will be a good investment for what you say is more adjustable.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast