Images

Top quilt length

I'm getting ready to start my down top quilt project and am stuck prior to putting scissors to fabric. I am 5'7" and am making a quilt with snaps and a drawstring foot box. I made a Rayway quilt several years Ago and it was slightly too small. I don't recall the dimensions. I want to avoid that problem again. What length would you recommended for my height? How much will I lose with the drawstring foot box?

Images
    mine is 6'-6" and i am 6'-3". with the foot box i lose 2 ". a like to pull over my head. i know about condensation, but to get warm i like to pull over head.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I've been fighting this internal battle as well - even after several quilts!

I am 6'-1" and make my quilts 78" long with a omni-tape footbox. The omni-tape runs along the bottom plus 12" up each side. I can just barely pull it over my head.

I have been contemplating making a separate down hood, and making the length of the quilt shorter such that it cinches around my neck.

Also, thinking about replacing the omni-tape across the bottom with a lighter cinch cord and keep the omni-tape up the sides.

I made one with snaps and was very unsatisfied with the lack of seal.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Cuben Fiber 9oz
    Insulation
    Under/top quilt
    Suspension
    whoopee sling
    This one is 55" tapered to 45" and 78" long. I'm 5'11" and can just get it over my head without bending my knees. It has a drawsrring foot box.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Thanks do much for the replies. Very helpful. I can use those numbers as a good starting place for mine.

Stir fry, Did you use snaps or Velcro or what for the closure of the footbox up the side? I was going to do mine untapered but yours looks great. Might put some taper in mine as well. What's your baffle width?

--Matt

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    This one is 76" long, but the footbox is a bit unusual. I'm about your height. I'd say make it 78" or 80" long. I added a snap and a 1/16" bungee cord for the head end, which i really like.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Per the responses, the length depends a bit on how you intend to use it For cold and pushing it I like to have a good seal with draw cord and snap around my neck. Short down SBs used as top quilts are never too short. A fleece hat / and or balaclava took care of my head and neck all winter.

For summer and shoulder seasons and not pushing it, when you are likely to want to adjust ventilation, the whole business of the seal to retain warmth below the shoulder tops goes away.

About your height, I did find that a way too-long climashield winter quilt was uncomfortably too much stuff in the hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Cuben Fiber 9oz
    Insulation
    Under/top quilt
    Suspension
    whoopee sling
    Foot box is simple drawstring. First photo string draws from the center. there are ties on the end with two more 5" and 10 " up. After I pull the drawstring tight. I tie off the end then bundle the end tie it off with the excess string. This is done inside out.The baffles are 6" wide 2 1/2" tall. Quilt has 15oz of 900 fill down. 23oz total. I have had it down to 18* in my hammock and was comfortable.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir Fry View Post
    Foot box is simple drawstring. First photo string draws from the center. there are ties on the end with two more 5" and 10 " up. After I pull the drawstring tight. I tie off the end then bundle the end tie it off with the excess string. This is done inside out.The baffles are 6" wide 2 1/2" tall. Quilt has 15oz of 900 fill down. 23oz total. I have had it down to 18* in my hammock and was comfortable.
    Great idea on the inside-out drawstring tie off. Thanks!

• + New Posts