DIY
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Run ins with wildlife?

What kinds of interesting expiriences have you had with animals while hanging at night? last night, i had a angry racoon under me last night (www.52nog.blogspot.com for the story)
    The Urban Outdoorsman- inspiring people to get out and enjoy the great outdoors

View my blog here- http://cityoutdoorsman.wordpress.com

Instagram: Nature_Pro_Pics
    Twitter: @cityoutdoorsman

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I've had critters bump me in the night, it`s usually one of my kittykats and I don`t even notice. One in particular though, out in the bush, hit my hammock tie outs and I actually let out a small screech, wasn't sure what it was til I sat up and it hopped again, it was a toad. Kinda funny but at the time it scared the &^%* outta me. My boyfriend still laughs at me, teasing me that I thought it was a bear (which also scare the &^%* outta me!)
    Debi

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Not while in a hammock but once when motorcycle camping I was laying on the ground by a fire. Didn't have a lot of gear you know...so I feel a brush against the back of my neck/shoulders and kind of flicked it away like you would a moth, then sensed it was something larger than a moth so I looked over my right shoulder and it was a large skunk walking alongside me from head to toe, his fur just barely brushing me. I simply froze and he never startled; just walked on as if he didn't have a care in the world. This happened at Montauk State Park in Missouri. At night the skunks come up into the campground to look for food; they're not scared of people in the least.

It was fun.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I hanged out over a game trail at Buffalo Point earlier this year. I didn't really think about it. But I will now! At night, it turned out to be the coon and possum highway. I heard something in the middle of night, swung my feet out as I grabbed my headlamp and turned it on. There were at least 3 possums about 2 feet from me. I screamed and they were as frightened as I was.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Not while in a hammock but once when motorcycle camping I was laying on the ground by a fire. Didn't have a lot of gear you know...so I feel a brush against the back of my neck/shoulders and kind of flicked it away like you would a moth, then sensed it was something larger than a moth so I looked over my right shoulder and it was a large skunk walking alongside me from head to toe, his fur just barely brushing me. I simply froze and he never startled; just walked on as if he didn't have a care in the world. This happened at Montauk State Park in Missouri. At night the skunks come up into the campground to look for food; they're not scared of people in the least.

It was fun.
    reminds me of a pizza place in provincetown, MA - the skunks come out at night --folks will sit outside on the benches & throw them pizza crust. probably more tame then some of the stray cats

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL/Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Toxaway/Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I don't know what I had an encounter with, but I was hiking in Harriman State Park in the Catskills, and at around 4am, some bird that sounded like the velociraptors in Jurassic Park kept landing right next to my tarp and trying to get underneath. I think it was an eagle or owl, but does anybody here know what it might've been? I didn't see it, but it sounded fairly big. Maybe a bit larger than a crow.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I know the small eastern screech owl can make quite a horrific sound. Much like something from the dinosaur age. The movie my cousin Vinny is a good example lol.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Had an Armadillo stick his nose right between my shoulder blades around 3:00 am on a group hang in the Lake Wales Ridge State Forest. When I rolled over and redlighted him he was standing on his hind legs looking up at me. The same night we had a bird making a strange call moving thru the trees that no one had ever heard before. We were close to a creek and my guess was one of the Night Herons but with many nights in the Florida woods I had never heard it before. Might have been a Chupacabra?
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    The one I'm in
    Recently had a mountain lion drop a turd about 20 feet away from where I was hanging. Tracks he left came to about 15 feet away

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    My worst encounters have been with raccoons. I had one push a fully loaded cooler off a picnic table to get into it. Then it attacked my tent. The next morning my car was covered in muddy raccoon paw prints.
    But my best story was camping in Florida as a kid. The raccoon wouldn't leave our campsite, so my dad threw a hammer at it. The hammer barely missed the raccoon. It retreated a few steps, then turned around, came back, picked up the hammer, and ran into the bushes with it. We never found the hammer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast