Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tofino is not too crazy. I mean it's popular but you can still get away from the crowds by walking a little further or driving off the road a bit.

The locals are a bit protective about some of the hidden secret places but you can find them by pushing out just a little further than most people will go.

Bamberton is nice. We go there when we make a quick one nighter but it lacks the WOW factor that Tofino and Strathcona pack.

If you go, you will never forget Long Beach, in the Pacific Rim National Park just south of Tofino, and you will always want to go back.

I first went there as a child camping with my parents in 1972, and I have been back every chance since.

Some of the locals say they know it's summer when I show up.

For surfing, your wife may enjoy Surf Sisters. It's a surf shop run by ladies, for ladies, and the odd secure man. It's my wife's surf shop of choice. And I'm comfortable in pink.

You can get a good moose or elk burger at the place beside the mexican food truck as well. Just to mix things up a bit.

Hammock
    Home made gathered end
    Tarp
    Home made 4-season
    Insulation
    Alpaca underquilt
    Suspension
    ratchet straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierra1 View Post
    Tofino is not too crazy. I mean it's popular but you can still get away from the crowds by walking a little further or driving off the road a bit.

The locals are a bit protective about some of the hidden secret places but you can find them by pushing out just a little further than most people will go.

Bamberton is nice. We go there when we make a quick one nighter but it lacks the WOW factor that Tofino and Strathcona pack.

If you go, you will never forget Long Beach, in the Pacific Rim National Park just south of Tofino, and you will always want to go back.

I first went there as a child camping with my parents in 1972, and I have been back every chance since.

Some of the locals say they know it's summer when I show up.

For surfing, your wife may enjoy Surf Sisters. It's a surf shop run by ladies, for ladies, and the odd secure man. It's my wife's surf shop of choice. And I'm comfortable in pink.

You can get a good moose or elk burger at the place beside the mexican food truck as well. Just to mix things up a bit.
    Great tips. Thanks.

So are you talking about wilderness camping or going to green point? Or a private place?

I have done all three.

Green Point can be dodgy. They have some great spots and some spots that are terrible. When you book, you can not pick your site. The park staff pick your spot and you can take it or leave it, even if better spots are empty.

I had a poor experience with the park staff there and I won't go back. Private campgrounds actually want you to visit and are happy about it. That was not my experience at Green Point. Others may have had other experiences but the last time I was there they insisted that I stay in a mosquito infested bog while some nice "on the beach" spots sat empty. Staff would give me no reason other than "This is your site... take it or stay someplace else. We'll have no problem selling it to someone else".

No problems, I head over to Bella Vista, or Crystal Cove, or out onto some of the islands that you can walk to when the tide is out, and camp there. I'm not right on Long Beach, but it's just a stones throw away.

I'm sure I hit Green Point on a bad day, but my time off is too valuable to waste. There are lots of great private campgrounds to choose from.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM, WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, jarbidge
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    years ago I went to Denman Island with my girlfriend and a few of her friends. We spent two great weeks camping and enjoying the relaxed atmosphere. Have not been in years but the campsite used to be very close to the beach. You have to take a separate ferry to get there, but totally worth the time. A very laid back and peaceful place. But to be honest, the whole Island is a great place. Stop in Coombs and check out the market there. Have a great honeymoon and enjoy the island life
    life time believer in the afternoon nap

" the Dude abides "

Hammock
    Home made gathered end
    Tarp
    Home made 4-season
    Insulation
    Alpaca underquilt
    Suspension
    ratchet straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierra1 View Post
    I have done all three.

Green Point can be dodgy. They have some great spots and some spots that are terrible. When you book, you can not pick your site. The park staff pick your spot and you can take it or leave it, even if better spots are empty.

I had a poor experience with the park staff there and I won't go back. Private campgrounds actually want you to visit and are happy about it. That was not my experience at Green Point. Others may have had other experiences but the last time I was there they insisted that I stay in a mosquito infested bog while some nice "on the beach" spots sat empty. Staff would give me no reason other than "This is your site... take it or stay someplace else. We'll have no problem selling it to someone else".

No problems, I head over to Bella Vista, or Crystal Cove, or out onto some of the islands that you can walk to when the tide is out, and camp there. I'm not right on Long Beach, but it's just a stones throw away.

I'm sure I hit Green Point on a bad day, but my time off is too valuable to waste. There are lots of great private campgrounds to choose from.
    That sucks! I just booked a forrest site before I refreshed this page to see your reply. I guess worst case scenario is we cancel the reservation if it's a crap site.

Unfortunately there were no pictures of the site, but it's big enough to fit an RV.

Hammock
    Home made gathered end
    Tarp
    Home made 4-season
    Insulation
    Alpaca underquilt
    Suspension
    ratchet straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Barlutti View Post
    years ago I went to Denman Island with my girlfriend and a few of her friends. We spent two great weeks camping and enjoying the relaxed atmosphere. Have not been in years but the campsite used to be very close to the beach. You have to take a separate ferry to get there, but totally worth the time. A very laid back and peaceful place. But to be honest, the whole Island is a great place. Stop in Coombs and check out the market there. Have a great honeymoon and enjoy the island life
    That sounds amazing. Maybe for our next trip out. I'm sure we'll return.

Hammock
    Home made gathered end
    Tarp
    Home made 4-season
    Insulation
    Alpaca underquilt
    Suspension
    ratchet straps
    How do parks usually view hanging hammocks? Any issues I should be aware of?

Sorry. I'm a newbie to the highest degree.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Another vote for Tofino, the most incredible place I've ever visited

I haven't had any issues with hammock camping in any provincial parks other than some sites just don't have any trees. Which is a bit of an issue. On those occasions my hammock can be used as a bivi.

The site I was assigned at Green Point was surrounded by Blackberry bushes and it would have been considered one of their forrest sites. That wasn't a concern at the time because I had my pop-trailer for that trip.

Rathtrevor is another Provincial campground that has hedges about a lot of the campsites... no sturdy trees.

Try calling the park and asking for some help with your selection. With any luck you won't get the same person I dealt with, and I'm sure you won't.

They will want your reservation number so have that handy. I'm sure they will want to help you.

Now I do mostly wilderness camping with the hammock. I will park the pop-up at Crystal Cove campground, when in Tofino, where my wife will enjoy Margaritas and lemon meringue pie by the fire with friends... and I'll head off and hang the hammock off a cliff somewhere with my son. After pie, of course.

Please let us know how it goes.

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    Neat campground at Port Hardy, bears and bald eagles in camp. I think it was called Wilderness something or other. Side trip to Port Alice is nice. I missed Bear Cove, but it sounds nice.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast