Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Great write up Pig Slayer.

We are always jealous of the quilts we put on the boat to Australia to your door! I agree, that M50 has some great wind and water resistance indeed.

We have been getting more and more requests for this "Phincubator" design. It is growing on me as well. It is just nice when you want that full coverage for the legs but do not necessarily need it for the head. Save the weight, space, and money I say. I might even have to go ahead and make a specific pattern for it now.

I just wanted to say thanks again for everything. Great write up and great photos. Frankly, they make me a bit jealous of the nice weather you are having!

~Stormcrow
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl & DIY 1.5 Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben Baby !
    Insulation
    Phoenix's&Burrow's
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Great write up Pig Slayer.

I just wanted to say thanks again for everything. Great write up and great photos. ~Stormcrow
    No probs at all. It's a pleasure dealing with you guys. I'm more than happy to recommend people towards your gear. Maybe I'm biased though
    I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL,1.7, WBRR DL, BIAS Micro
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    40*HG PX, 20HG 10D
    Suspension
    WB straps, whoopie
    +2 on this Long phincubator. I have a 65' version with 10D/10D rated 20 degree, and this thing is perfect length. I have used it for a month and works perfectly on the WBBB and other hammocks.

Not stealing your thread but heres a demo of it setup if anyone is considering it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E_PF...1&feature=plcp
    "you will never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
    Winston Churchill

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    So I know this thread is a bit old but I wanted to see how the Phincubator was working at for y'all who have one now that the cold weather is here. I am thinking about a 20 rated Phincubator. Has anyone else bought one of these, this was the only thread I could find on it? Now that you moved from a Phoenix to an Phincubator (OP) do you wish you just bought an Incubator instead? On my recent trip using my Phoenix my head and body were plenty warm but my legs and feet were chilly so I think this would be a perfect fit for me (being a bit of a gram weenie as well as wanting full coverage). As I gain more experience I am learning that I'd rather carry the few extra ounces in the winter to be really warm then to shave a few ounces just to be comfortably warm (I hate being cold when I sleep). I know that the quality and all that jazz are top notch so what I am really interested in is how you are liking the shorter length of a full length UQ but not as short as a 3/4. I've used a 2/3, 3/4 and full length UQ and guess I'm just always looking to tweak my gear.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    OX Gear
    Tarp
    OX Shed
    Insulation
    Custom m50 HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just did that. Started with a Phoenix and went with a sweet custom phincubator. Just sold that yesterday and put an order in for a custom incubator. The full length really is just a no fiddle factor quilt. I can just plop down and know I'm covered.
    I'm doing it wrong....

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl & DIY 1.5 Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben Baby !
    Insulation
    Phoenix's&Burrow's
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Hi guys
    Sorry I haven't had a good chance to use the phincubator in the cold weather. Its the middle of summer here down under and the temps have been around 46°C (115°F) here lately. The darn thing would fry me !!!

What I do know is the few nights I did get in it at the start of spring were some of the nicest hammock nights I have had. I still love my Phoenix 3\4 for most trips but for our colder winter stuff the phincubator will get lugged along for sure. There's just no fiddle factor with it at all on my WBBB.
    I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    So I know this thread is a bit old but I wanted to see how the Phincubator was working at for y'all who have one now that the cold weather is here. I am thinking about a 20 rated Phincubator. Has anyone else bought one of these, this was the only thread I could find on it? Now that you moved from a Phoenix to an Phincubator (OP) do you wish you just bought an Incubator instead? On my recent trip using my Phoenix my head and body were plenty warm but my legs and feet were chilly so I think this would be a perfect fit for me (being a bit of a gram weenie as well as wanting full coverage). As I gain more experience I am learning that I'd rather carry the few extra ounces in the winter to be really warm then to shave a few ounces just to be comfortably warm (I hate being cold when I sleep). I know that the quality and all that jazz are top notch so what I am really interested in is how you are liking the shorter length of a full length UQ but not as short as a 3/4. I've used a 2/3, 3/4 and full length UQ and guess I'm just always looking to tweak my gear.

I have one made with the same fabrics as the OP. I'm 5'8" and it fits me pretty much full length.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Welcome to the Phincubator club!!....... They have that Goldilocks effect of feeling "Just right"...........
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    i've been wrestling with my thoughts on the 20*F phincubator for true winter.

mine has produced reports of cold feet from 3 different users so far.

i'm at the point now that i'm rethinking the beautiful custom m50 stuff i currently have from adam to opt for a more full length solution with proper cold weather fill weight. as others have
    said, when the mercury dips,,, a 0*F incubator covering past your head to beyond the feet is very efficient. -no gaps, no worries, no question.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammockBlazn View Post
    I just did that. Started with a Phoenix and went with a sweet custom phincubator. Just sold that yesterday and put an order in for a custom incubator. The full length really is just a no fiddle factor quilt. I can just plop down and know I'm covered.
    Hum interesting, so you still found that there was still to much fiddle factor with the phincubator, was it trying to seal it around your shoulders or seal it down by your feet? Did your feet ever get cold using the pincubator or was it your head and back side were cold?

Quote Originally Posted by pig.slayer View Post
    Hi guys
    Sorry I haven't had a good chance to use the phincubator in the cold weather. Its the middle of summer here down under and the temps have been around 46°C (115°F) here lately. The darn thing would fry me !!!

What I do know is the few nights I did get in it at the start of spring were some of the nicest hammock nights I have had. I still love my Phoenix 3\4 for most trips but for our colder winter stuff the phincubator will get lugged along for sure. There's just no fiddle factor with it at all on my WBBB.
    Thats great to hear cause that's what I'll mainly be using it with to a WBBB

Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    i've been wrestling with my thoughts on the 20*F phincubator for true winter.

mine has produced reports of cold feet from 3 different users so far.

i'm at the point now that i'm rethinking the beautiful custom m50 stuff i currently have from adam to opt for a more full length solution with proper cold weather fill weight. as others have
    said, when the mercury dips,,, a 0*F incubator covering past your head to beyond the feet is very efficient. -no gaps, no worries, no question.
    Your phincubator has produced reports of cold feet? Interesting I thought the phincubator covered down past your feet? If that's the case maby I do want to go with the incubator...

So, Thanks for all the input so far. So I have a zero rated incubator for nights 10 and below so I'm covered for deep winter either when car camping or back packing. What I cant decide on is weather or not I want a 20 Incubator or a 20 Phincubator for those 3 Season Trips. I love my Phoenix but I am tired of my feet being cold, my pad slipping around all over the place and what I hate most is the condensation that builds up on my pad and then soaks my TQ and my Hammock where my feet and legs are. Is the Phincubator just as no fuss as the Incubator or because the Phincubator does not cover your head you still have to make sure their is a seal by the shoulders so you don't get any cold spots running down your back. I wonder what the weight different between the a 20 Incubator and a 20 Phincubator is??? Decisions, decisions,
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast