Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    last night was my maiden voyage for my new spindrift.i found the set up to be quite simple,there is plenty of room and i didnt feel closed in.i could make out a little detail of what was outside with a bright moon but not much more than shadows.the air inside was quite a bit warmer than outside with it zipped up ,and with it unzipped it really blocked the wind well while still having fresh air.getting in and out is not a problem.it got down in the low 30s and i kept checking for condensation im happy to report that there was none.i have a little boston terrier that was a drop off dog.she goes everywhere with me, but with short hair she gets cold easy so i let her in the hammock with me .she is pretty mellow in the bb and will lay pretty still,but in the rr she freaks from the center of gravity change.last night while freaking out and trying to jump out she slid between the side and the spindrift winding up below the hammock in the spindrift.the only thing she hated more than that was being pulled back out like a sword.id like to think that was the first rr bunk bed attempt lol.i think the spindrift will be nice this winter,but wish that i could remove and store it for quick set up when needed kind of like the bug netting.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    FWIW, I'd second the previous two posts about a big pad like the downmat changing the center of gravity. You'd be ok with a CCF pad, but I'd rather have the double layer for anything over about 2" thick, or else I'd be a little too tippy. Possible, but not as stable.

Hairbear...great post! My critters get in the hammock with me but I've never drawn one like a sword...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ferret View Post
    Thanks for the info!

Now for the Spindrift, if/when it comes out in multicam, it will be made from 1.9 versus the usual 1.1 (guessing). Will that make it significantly less breathable and perhaps cause more condensation on the inside?
    the 1.9 version has similar breathability, both are non-calendared for max breathability, only real difference should be the added weight of the multicam fabric

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    ok after using the rr even more i would like to change some of my opinions. 1- the pocket at the head end being too shallow,ive raised the foot end, and found better comfort this changed the pocket hang so that i no longer have things jumping into the hammock with me. 2-the saddle bags i said were too shallow, they are not ive added them into my routine. im a hot sleeper as soon as i get my bag, and u. q. cherning i start what i like to call the dance of the seven veils, stripping off one item at a time then stuffing it down into the saddle bags till i get down to my undies.with my clothes hanging neatly to the sides all i have to do in the morning is roll one group of bags over the side into the bag with me. this warms my clothes before i have to put them on.(one side at a time so you will still be warm).when i get up im dressed without having to sleep in clothes.if the bags were any deeper they would be too much in with me to get dressed.ok now a question please concerning the spin drift,is the material larger than the hammock by alot to give more air volume inside to help with condensation?if not would it still function the same if i modified it so that the top mated with the altered bug screen zipper.(four sided zipped so you could remove the bug screen completly, and install sock top ).with the bottom id loop the fabric making it seal to the sides good, but it would be fixed with bungee so you could air it out if it gets wet until permanent removal for warm weather.the ends could remain as a cover for working like you have them with the suspension triangles.any input would be helpful.
    Last edited by hairbear; 11-05-2012 at 19:12.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    paragraphs, my man - that was painful to read.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    paragraphs, my man - that was painful to read.
    sorry ....any opinion to the question?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    regarding condensation and sizing - I find the spindrift to be spacious enough to give a decent air volume.

Regarding your other questions - they were sort of confusingly phrased and I didn't quite get what you were getting at. In general, it sounded like you were describing modding the spindrift into an overcover, which will provide some warmth, but not as much as a full wrap-around sock..

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod

Smile

i will try again.picture the spinaker mounted on the hammock. split the spinaker in half cutting it from end to end along the hammock edge .you now have two boat shaped pieces one upside down and on top of the hammock,and one under.i picture making the bottom section into what looks like a pack cover attached to the bottom.the top would get a zipper mod to make the middle section removable.the ends with the holes for the suspension would be seperate from removable top.now along the edge of the hammock you have a bottom half seperate from the top.does anyone have any input into the condensation potential being greater with two seperate compartments other than the one bigger area as is now.i ask this because i dont like a cover and would only use it if needed, and could quickly zip up in times of need,but not be obligated to having a roof over me all the time.im not trying to rethink a great product,im just trying to satisfy my personal needs.

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    PL/DD
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Awesome thread.
    Learned a ton about my new home away from home.
    Looking forward to trying it out.....

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by ferret View Post
    Thanks for the info!

Now for the Spindrift, if/when it comes out in multicam, it will be made from 1.9 versus the usual 1.1 (guessing). Will that make it significantly less breathable and perhaps cause more condensation on the inside?
    Get the double door.

• + New Posts
  • Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast