Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)

LST Butt Bake...(pics, just so you believe it happened)

I rode the bike from the DFW area (about 4 1/2 hours) and got to the designated meet site at about 2pm or so. The Weatherman (aka tcbtx) was waiting for me when I got there and was kind enough to shuttle me to the first trailhead. From there I hiked in to the campsite (about 4 miles from TH1.) It was a nice hike and there were lots of trees.

Lucky for me The Weatherman was up and about because if he had been crashed in his hammock, I would have hiked right by and never even realized I passed him (I was in the trail zone.) It wasn't long before Sargevining and Scout the Wonder Dog showed up with Mike, and all kinds of camp goodies. Spaceweaseal arrived not too long after and then the rain came in (everyone had just enough time to get set up before it came a downpour.) Well...everyone except Sarge, he was still in the process of setting up when the rain came, and he got a bit wet. With the rain came a nice cool temp drop.

SafetyOfficer showed up just before dark and stayed the evening, then jumped up and ran off onto the trails first thing in the morning. (It was nice to meet him and he had some neat trail adventures to share.) It was a great night. Sarge and Spaceweaseal were demonstrating their mastery of primative camp baking (I have to say, I was amazed at the things they did with those backpack cook sets.) We sat around the cintronella lantern and shared stories until late in the evening (all the while receiving weather reports.)

The next morning we woke early and I headed out on the trail for a nice little day hike. The spiders were out in force. I couldn't take 2 or 3 steps without being wrapped in another giant web. The one thing that was strange to me was the fact that it was so WET! My clothes were soaked and my fingers were even starting to prune like I was in the tub too long. I had hung my smartwool socks over my ridgeline, and I'm pretty sure they were wetter when I got up. It was HUMID!

I did about 6 miles or so on one of the loops and when I got back to the camp Sarge and Spaceweaseal were about to head out in search of "a pond?" They found one! I think they took the scenic route. I took that opportunity to nap. After some time they got back to camp and we did dinner. Let me say....if you ever camp with Spaceweaseal, don't bother bringing any food. He brings enough for everyone and still has some to take home Just be sure you're ready for just about anything. It was another great night, but we were all pretty wore out, so we hit the hammocks just after dark. A bit of a cool front had come in and the weather was really nice....until about the time I got into a good sleep. Then the rain came again. It rained most of the night (not a punishing downpour like the day before, but more of a lulling sleep aid) and I slept pretty well.

Sargevining and Scout the Wonder Dog

Spaceweaseal

THE WEATHERMAN!

The next morning I woke pretty early and hit the road in an attempt to beat some of the daytime heat.

It was a great trip. I'd love to go back down sometime and through hike the entire trail. Everyone was awesome and we had a lot of laughs. Looking forward to seeing everyone again soon.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Great trip report! Glad you guys had a good time and even more glad we got some rain!
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

It was hot sticky fun.
    " man I need to go on a diet"
    Last edited by spaceweaseal; 08-20-2012 at 23:12.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Best part of the weekend was finding out where the Renaissance Festival really is.

Actually, I was all set up when the rain came, but the tarp was a bit too "open" on one side and I was getting some splash in---had to get a bit outside to move the guy lines. In other words, I had to get wet in order to stay dry. Good thing I had extra clothes in the truck.

There's going to be a Scout The Wonder Dog Adventure in the near future, but right now here's a couple of pics.

In the "pics or it didn't happen" department, I bring you "a pond"

In the "I hung them up but to dry, but they ended up wetter than when I hung them" department:

And in the "man with a dangerous weapon" department:

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Oh yes;

In the "It was nice watching the rain until it started splashing in" department:

Sounds like a neat trip. I had halfway thought about trying to make it there (I live in Garland) but I don't know anyone yet, and I have no experience camping where you have to take everything you need via backpack - I usually car camp or kayak. Plus I only had an ENO DN hammock, no mosquito net or decent tarp, both of which I knew I would need. (my new BB, tarp and underquilt arrived today). It *always* rains when I camp . I do plan to make the next group hang at Fairfield, and I may camp at Purtis Creek in a couple of weeks to give the BB a shakedown trip.

Thanks for posting your trip report.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Thanks for sharing pictures. That isn't a pond, that's a mosquito factory.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    Thanks for sharing pictures. That isn't a pond, that's a mosquito factory.
    We were surprised by the fact that we didn't see any mosquitoes at all. It became evident on Saturday night that about a kajillion tree frogs in the immedaite area was the reason.

Interesting way to go to sleep: the pitter pat of rain drops on the tarp coupled with the nattering of a kajillion tree frogs.
    Last edited by sargevining; 08-21-2012 at 13:45.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Looks like a nice damp trip, but also looks like you all had a great time. Thanks for the trip report.
    "No whining in the woods"

• + New Posts