Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images

Keeping da Whoopie on da knot.

Hey everyone.

Another member had a thread complaining about the Whoopiesling loop popping off his MSH as he got on and off the hammock, and it left him on the ground. A familiar issue to us all. I had an idea to throw out to go with all of the other good ideas folks have had to remedy this problem. I don't know if this has been done before, so feel free to let me know I am reinventing the wheel. This just came to me yesterday and I haven't had a chance to try it while hanging.

I took some 1/8 shock cord I had lying around and tied it into a approx. 1.5" diameter loop, then threaded my tree strap through it so that it would come down from above the MSH. (I wish I had some lighter shock cord, but that's what I had.) Once the Whoopie loop was set on the knot, I took the shock loop, twisted it twice tightly against the strap just above the Whoopie loop, then brought the rest of the shock loop down, over the toggle, and to the bottom side of the MSH knot just below the toggle. One twist will work as well, I just liked how tight two twists were. This keeps the Whoopie loop in place, it slides easily for adjustment, and doesn't pop off.

Has anyone tried this? Is this a dumb idea and I am missing a glaring problem?It fits my favorite criteria of cheap and simple.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    That's a good idea. Like you said, some smaller shock cord would probably be a bit better. I switched to Dutch buckles on one suspension set and Elephant trunks on another. Never been a big fan of the MSH.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    That's a good idea. Like you said, some smaller shock cord would probably be a bit better. I switched to Dutch buckles on one suspension set and Elephant trunks on another. Never been a big fan of the MSH.
    Thanks Bubba. I'm afraid I have not yet joined the Dutchware club, though his stuff looks cool. Hopefully soon! I like the look of his ridgeline clips. I have had no problem with the MSH myself, so I guess I'll stick with it.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO Dry Fly
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I've personally never had a problem with them slipping off. I always try to tuck the WS behind the top of the knot a little. But now that I say that out loud, I'm wondering if that defeats the purpose of "on the knot, not the toggle"...
    Check out my (mostly) outdoor themed t-shirt design elements! Oblivious Art and Design Make your own custom tees! Hammock inspired designs to come!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaCeMn View Post
    I've personally never had a problem with them slipping off. I always try to tuck the WS behind the top of the knot a little. But now that I say that out loud, I'm wondering if that defeats the purpose of "on the knot, not the toggle"...
    I put mine behind the knot tucked in just like you say too. It would be nice to not have to double check things every time I got in the hammock, though. I haven't had much issue with it slipping out either, but a little insurance never hurts, not like landing on a rock hurts!

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Good idea. I struggled with the thought of them slipping off, more than the actuality. I took a small velcro cable tie and wrapped it around and around the whoopie until it formed a small, cylindrical, "collar" . After I put the whoopie on the knot,(not the toggle), I slide the collar up the whoopie until it touches the toggle. The width of the whoopie at that point keep the collar in place and it seems to stay there all night.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I've never had a whoopie slip off a MSH and I use the MSH all the time. Yet, I don't do anything special to prevent slippage.

Oops, I think I just jinxed myself :embarassed:
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I've never had a whoopie slip off a MSH and I use the MSH all the time. Yet, I don't do anything special to prevent slippage.

Oops, I think I just jinxed myself
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    UKHammocks Woodsmanx
    Tarp
    hilleberg tarp10ul
    Insulation
    Pad and Down Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Which end of the whoopie are you attaching to the msh

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    I've never had my whoopies slip off, but because I could easily see how it could happen, I made a solomon bar with some paracord that slides into place and locks everything down.

For those that don't like the bulkiness of a paracord solomon bar, GrizzlyAdams uses a whipping not that keeps it locked down and also prevents the whoopie from slipping back into itself--very sleek, very effective: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34159 (he shows how to tie the whipping knot at the 3:30 mark).

I love how members come up with so many clever ways to conquer the same issues (like the magna hammock ).
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast