Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Frankly, I don't understand why certain cottage vendors have such a devoted following. Brands I shall not mention have an enormous amount of cheerleaders on this forum. Noobs read the overwhelming support for Hammock X, or Tarp X, and feel pressure to follow the herd.

I look for personal service. If I'm interested in a particular vendor's product, and I can pick up the phone and talk to that vendor, then that vendor will likely get my business 'cause they answered the **** phone. My first hammock was a Hennessy. I called the company with questions, and Tom Hennessy answered. He talked to me for an hour about hammocks - and guess what - he got my business. Hennessy is not a cottage vendor, but on this particular occasion, he was.

Some of our cottage vendors not only don't publish a phone number, but aren't too quick answering e-mails either. I tend to avoid those vendors with communication issues, despite awesome reviews of their products on this forum.

Like everyone else on this forum, I recommend products with which I am familiar. I wholeheartedly endorse the products you see in my profile, because I've used them, and above all, those vendors answered the damned phone to answer my questions.

Still, if the product is good - you put up with stuff you would otherwise avoid. I love HawkVittles, but that guy has no phone number. Who has no phone number? It's the 21st century!
    I agree a hundred percent. I had some questions and sent an email to Warbonnet and Brandon( I am not sure how he figures into the company but I have seen his name mentioned in many forums) responded and thoroughly answered everyone of my dumb questions. I am not sure I like the WBBB but will give it the full monty if get the funds. I also had a great experience with Black Diamond ( I know it was with a lowly ground dwelling devise), but I called and asked some questions about how to repair something and the guy said I will mail you a new one. I had already told him I purchased it thru REI garage sale. He said that I was honest with him and to just throw out the old one. I have since always looked up BD for items I want to purchase. Even if its a little more I know they are ready to back it up.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    I had some questions and sent an email to Warbonnet and Brandon( I am not sure how he figures into the company but I have seen his name mentioned in many forums) responded and thoroughly answered everyone of my dumb questions.
    Brandon (warbonnetguy) is...Warbonnet. Owner, operator, inventor, etc. He has employees, but it's his cottage operation.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Who has no phone number? It's the 21st century!
    ZQ here...We have a phone number, but if we posted it on the website, I would spend the day talking on the phone. I'm sure this is also true for those businesses that don't post their phone numbers. We gladly give the number to those customers that contact us. We are a 2 person team here....and 2Q has a full time job. I do all the sewing, as well as try to answer urgent e-mails during the day. 2Q takes over after supper. I also monitor HF incase there is something we need to address with our business. We are very glad/thankful for this little business, and for the HF community! Thanks to all our past, present, and future customers!

Edit...in addition..e-mailing is great!! I can sit down and have a conversation with a customer at midnight and not disrupt either house's sleeping members!
    Last edited by 2Questions; 08-27-2012 at 10:09.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Brandon (warbonnetguy) is...Warbonnet. Owner, operator, inventor, etc. He has employees, but it's his cottage operation.
    i figured as such.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    ZQ here...We have a phone number, but if we posted it on the website, I would spend the day talking on the phone. I'm sure this is also true for those businesses that don't post their phone numbers. We gladly give the number to those customers that contact us. <snip>

Edit...in addition..e-mailing is great!! I can sit down and have a conversation with a customer at midnight and not disrupt either house's sleeping members!
    I'd like to start a thread with that quote. I needed an email and less than 2 minutes of conversation with ZQ to specify and discuss options for mods to Clark hammocks that 2QZQ had not done before. To keep this on-topic, though:

WarbonnetOutdoors has just introduced a whole new system. Not radical, any more than the previous Blackbird was radical, but intensely innovative. But considering how few changes have been made to the Blackbird, it should be obvious to everyone that the research and development that Warbonnetguy puts into the design,--including tailoring -- and execution of his products is extensive. That takes time, of which there is only so much if products are also to be made here.
    Off-topic: If you think you need stroking, what you really would benefit more from is to to try the product at a hang, or to lay out the cash, buy, try , and resell. It will cost shipping charges and a bit of faith.
    I'd rather 2QZQs approach from all makers, than reports from a user that he so much appreciated the hour he spent jawing with the maker of a piece of gear, when the only special needs were for the buyer to be reassured about his purchase.

Look at where the experimentation and innovation is taking place. Then look where products are introduced that offer not much more than lower price and application of craft tools.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 08-27-2012 at 13:31.

Hammock
    BIAS Camper; WL Sniper; DIY channel
    Tarp
    tarpless
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt
    Suspension
    you name it
    I bought two hammocks from two different vendors today. Both are respected here at HF because of the quality products they offer. For me, I definately factored in that both answered the phone today when I had questions prior to the final order submission.

Images
    Frankly, I don't understand why certain cottage vendors have such a devoted following. Brands I shall not mention have an enormous amount of cheerleaders on this forum. Noobs read the overwhelming support for Hammock X, or Tarp X, and feel pressure to follow the herd.

I look for personal service. If I'm interested in a particular vendor's product, and I can pick up the phone and talk to that vendor, then that vendor will likely get my business 'cause they answered the **** phone. My first hammock was a Hennessy. I called the company with questions, and Tom Hennessy answered. He talked to me for an hour about hammocks - and guess what - he got my business. Hennessy is not a cottage vendor, but on this particular occasion, he was.

Some of our cottage vendors not only don't publish a phone number, but aren't too quick answering e-mails either. .......!
    I probably prefer e-mail, at least if response is pretty quick, unless I actually need voice to voice for some reason. But, funny thing, a couple of vendors may still actually prefer phone calls. I think Jack's are probably that way. More than once, I have got a phone call in response to my e-mail or an e-mail asking me to just give them a call. But back in 2006 I had just bought my 1st hammock, an HH Explorer UL with Super Shelter(SS), and had e-mailed Tom H. for help. I was trying to get ready for my week long trip to the Wind River Mountains. I had talked with him on the phone about insulation, and had decided on the HHSS. But now I had it in my 100*F back yard, with my 21 foot apart trees, and I couldn't figure out how to do the HH knot, or how to put the SS on, and I could not stay off the ground! I had e-mailed Tom about my grief, then went back out to the back yard to try it again, I'd check for his e-mail answer in an hour or so. I was in the middle of a struggle when my cell phone rang. It was Tom, and he stayed on with me for quite a while talking me through various things I was confused about.

Can't say if they are still that way 6 years later, but I thought that was fine service indeed! ( BTW, I still have and use that hammock and SS but I have cut the net off. And I just bought a used one today from Boothill. I have several other hammocks that I really like, but I still think well of my first hammock/insulation combo, the HH Explorer UL with SS!)

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I must add that the OP as well as other newcomers should try to go to a group hang in your area.

Just about everyone here has multiple hammocks. Which brings up the fact that we haven't made up out minds either!
    Great advice Mad777!

The more I give hammock demos, the more I'm convinced that hammocks are not unlike those "sleep number beds" where you have to "dial in" the mattress. There is a lot of personalization in a hammock, and in Mad777's other post, he nails it on the head -- FIT MATTERS!

I can gloat about how comfortable hammocks are, but I've met folks who just can't stand them. I've also met folks who are BIG and TALL who prefer tiny hammocks. There are some general considerations, but ultimately you've got to find the perfect fit.

And that fit may not be narrowly defined as comfort. Some people are willing to forgo a little comfort knowing that it was less expensive -- they put price above other factors.

In some ways, this is true of finding the right tent. Some people are happy as clams in a Walmart pullover when others must have Arc'teryx.

I wish outfitters who sell hammocks would invest in a stand in their store so that customers could try the gear first.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images

Soon enough

well I will start my journey with a BIAS Camper. Figured I would update. I still have the GT but will make that for my son for now. Thanks Brian for your help.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 &amp; 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    I have been reading in this forum, and the various sites that extend from this site, about the different types and brands of hammocks. I can understand the difference between cheap and expensive, bridge or standard ( not sure the right term) and I understand that with most of these there are a numerous amount of mods and accessories.

So my questions is what makes people in this forum favor one brand over another? Why is warbonnet so much better then hennessey or clark? I know jrb makes a different type but do they stand alone ( i read the wb is making a bridge that may or may not be out soon). I am not saying people don't own a hennessey or clark or dd or clayton, but the overwhelming tone of most of these forums is WBBB or JRB BMBH and this may be for very good reasons.

I am also aware that in theory I could make my own hammock, but I am already worry about sleeping in something based on my ability to tie a knot. I am sure I will get over it and I am sure i have the ability to make one, but to get started I am planning on buying something.
    miyanc - Stop worrying...just repeat over and over again, "What could possibly go wrong?" and then just go. Nothing bad has ever happened to me when I just took off into the wilderness!

Seriously, this isn't as complicated as all that. Start slow, choose one thing at a time and extend your fun as you slowly gather gear and experience.

IMPORTANT: Get the experience, really...just go!
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast