Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    miyanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    nc
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Posts
    2,180
    Images
    35

    understanding the differences?

    I have been reading in this forum, and the various sites that extend from this site, about the different types and brands of hammocks. I can understand the difference between cheap and expensive, bridge or standard ( not sure the right term) and I understand that with most of these there are a numerous amount of mods and accessories.

    So my questions is what makes people in this forum favor one brand over another? Why is warbonnet so much better then hennessey or clark? I know jrb makes a different type but do they stand alone ( i read the wb is making a bridge that may or may not be out soon). I am not saying people don't own a hennessey or clark or dd or clayton, but the overwhelming tone of most of these forums is WBBB or JRB BMBH and this may be for very good reasons.

    I am also aware that in theory I could make my own hammock, but I am already worry about sleeping in something based on my ability to tie a knot. I am sure I will get over it and I am sure i have the ability to make one, but to get started I am planning on buying something.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    634
    Images
    21
    I haven't yet found the perfect hammock, but right now my Claytors come as close as possible for me - although I'm considering a Dream Hammock with detachable weathershield and detachable bug net as the next step toward perfection.

    I like a double bottom. I like optional (but not required) spreader bars. I like a separate tarp.

    I would like dual entry though, detachable bugnet and detachable weather shield

    I'd also like storage pockets (like the Clark)

    Tie out loops and under quilt loops would also be nice.

    BTW - I made a home made hammock from some silnylon material I found at walmart a few years ago. I had a seamstress sew the edges. Then I made a gathered hammock following Jeff's instructions HERE - really very simple to do. I've used that homemade hammock as a hiking hammock - I take it on hikes to take a nap in it halfway through my hike. At one point I weighed 270 lbs while using that hammock (I'm now down to 230) and had no issues with it.

  3. #3
    Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Posts
    6,371
    Images
    80
    In terms of comfort, there isn't really one better than the other because comfort is personal thing. The WBBB is not perfect but it suits a large majority of people. There are some that can't get comfortable in a BB despite this but because it is so popular it is a logical choice for newcomers who don't want to spend a lot at first and only want or are only able to buy one camping hammock.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

  4. #4
    miyanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    nc
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Posts
    2,180
    Images
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I haven't yet found the perfect hammock, but right now my Claytors come as close as possible for me - although I'm considering a Dream Hammock with detachable weathershield and detachable bug net as the next step toward perfection.

    I like a double bottom. I like optional (but not required) spreader bars. I like a separate tarp.

    I would like dual entry though, detachable bugnet and detachable weather shield

    I'd also like storage pockets (like the Clark)

    Tie out loops and under quilt loops would also be nice.

    BTW - I made a home made hammock from some silnylon material I found at walmart a few years ago. I had a seamstress sew the edges. Then I made a gathered hammock following Jeff's instructions HERE - really very simple to do. I've used that homemade hammock as a hiking hammock - I take it on hikes to take a nap in it halfway through my hike. At one point I weighed 270 lbs while using that hammock (I'm now down to 230) and had no issues with it.
    before I found this forum and I was youtubing and googling I had found Hennessey first and was amazed, and then when I saw Clark I was even more wowed.

    I am glad to see you have drop some lb's, I am a large guy as well and worry my fat *** will split the hammock and I would have to figure a good story to tell people how I broke my butt.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    El Paso,TX
    Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Posts
    102
    This is a link to a thread where people were asked if they could only own one hammock what would it be and why. Lots of interesting discussion. A good starting place for understanding what causes people to gravitate to various brands and styles of hammock.

    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=55659

    Andy
    Last edited by Full_timer; 08-22-2012 at 12:01.
    Friends don't let friends sleep on the ground.

    My favorite data mining thread:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=55659

  6. #6
    miyanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    nc
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Posts
    2,180
    Images
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Full_timer View Post
    This is a link to a thread where people were asked if they could only own one hammock what would it be and why. Lots of interesting discussion. A good starting place for understanding what causes people to gravitate to various brands and styles of hammock.

    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=55659

    Andy
    I guess that idea is much better then my post. I will be reading. Thanks

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    El Paso,TX
    Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    I guess that idea is much better then my post. I will be reading. Thanks
    Absolutely nothing wrong with your post. You are among friends and fellow hammock junkies. So much to learn and experience so little time. I've learned neat things from your thread. Thank you. Welcome to the addiction.

    Andy
    Friends don't let friends sleep on the ground.

    My favorite data mining thread:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=55659

  8. #8
    Senior Member Cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Posts
    13,919
    Images
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    ...but the overwhelming tone of most of these forums is WBBB or JRB BMBH and this may be for very good reasons.
    I believe part of this is due to the vendors themselves.
    The Jacks have been around, and active on HF, basically since inception.
    Warbonnet effectively got his start on HF.

    This interaction among the community is a huge bonus, IMO, for perspective buyers. It's nice to be able to ask the designer/manufacturer pointed questions and get honest responses. The other names you mentioned; Hennessy, Clark, Claytor, DD Hammocks don't really interact with us directly on the forums. They are watching, to be sure, but they don't actively engage their customers here. There are some good business reasons behind it, but it does put them at a disadvantage for the users here on HF.

    This is also why some of the really small shops do a healthy business; because they are engaged here. BIAS, HammockGear, 2QZQ, etc., do well and are active.

    HF is a bit of a niche within a niche of a niche. When a specific community is saturated with one thing or another, in my experience, the ones making that particular widget are also involved with that community. While neither the Jacks nor Warbonnet are particularly active anymore, they both still post on occasion and both will be quick to answer PMs. That tells me that they are still here and watching, but have backed off the posting a bit. Again, I'm sure there are very valid reasons for it, but they still make the effort to be 'one of us'. That, for me, will always carry weight in my purchase decisions.
    Last edited by Cannibal; 08-22-2012 at 12:13. Reason: Fixed "the Pans"
    Trust nobody!

  9. #9
    Senior Member jbrianb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Covington, TN
    Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I believe part of this is due to the vendors themselves.
    The Jacks have been around, and active on HF, basically since inception.
    Warbonnet effectively got his start on HF.

    This interaction among the community is a huge bonus, IMO, for perspective buyers. It's nice to be able to ask the designer/manufacturer pointed questions and get honest responses. The other names you mentioned; Hennessy, Clark, Claytor, DD Hammocks don't really interact with us directly on the forums. They are watching, to be sure, but they don't actively engage their customers here. There are some good business reasons behind it, but it does put them at a disadvantage for the users here on HF.

    This is also why some of the really small shops do a healthy business; because they are engaged here. BIAS, HammockGear, 2QZQ, etc., do well and are active.

    HF is a bit of a niche within a niche of a niche. When a specific community is saturated with one thing or another, in my experience, the ones making that particular widget are also involved with that community. While neither the Jacks nor Warbonnet are particularly active anymore, they both still post on occasion and both will be quick to answer PMs. That tells me that they are still here and watching, but have backed off the posting a bit. Again, I'm sure there are very valid reasons for it, but they still make the effort to be 'one of us'. That, for me, will always carry weight in my purchase decisions.
    This sums it up. Vendors who don't listen don't hear. I can't speak for any shop but the one tncamper and I run, but I know if we didn't change and adapt to our customers versus trying to make them adapt to us, we couldn't make hammocks that folks would buy. Reputation is vital. When a customer tells us, "Hey, I want your product, but could you add this instead of that?" we accommodate them. We answer emails. We engage folks on this forum. That's a big part of what separates Warbonnet, Hammock Gear, 2QZQ, Dutch, Dream Hammocks and many, many others from the larger shops that now are more retail than manufacturer because they've outsourced work and are no longer building to order. Not knocking it. Just noting it is a difference as Cannibal says.

    The market is odd, too. We're in a niche -- campers. And a sub-niche -- hammock campers. Our shop is in a sub niche of that -- light/ultralight hammock campers. Most cottages are the same way. Very niche oriented. The hammock shops you mention are less niche-ey (OK, I made that up). They have a little more mass appeal. Business wise, that's a good place to be. But to hammockers with very, very specific wants/needs, there is usually a cottage serving a sub-niche to be found.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Auburn, MA
    Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    Posts
    405
    Banana vs. Soda Can

    I find it helps me to visualize the basics shapes.

    The shape of a gathered end hammock can be visualized as a banana. As you lie in it, your back and legs will be rounded. The "calf pressure" issue arises from the fact that our knees don't bend in that direction. But proper set-up along with placing something under your knees and/or lying at a slight angle with respect to the suspension axis helps alleviate that problem.

    The shape of a bridge hammock can be visualized as a soda can on its side. As you lie in it, your shoulders will roll forward slightly. The "shoulder squeeze" issue arises from the fact that our shoulders only roll forward so much. But a pad in the hammock sleeve and/or lying on your side slightly helps alleviate that problem.

    The new WB RR uses a wider spreader bar at one end to increase the diameter at the shoulders which i think will make it more comfortable for a wider range of people than the JRB BMBH.
    Love my JRB BMB

Similar Threads

  1. Understanding nylon coatings
    By Spaceman in forum Fabrics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-22-2014, 21:09
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-21-2014, 12:36
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-12-2012, 13:35
  4. Differences in these tarps
    By im22sniper in forum Weather Protection
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-06-2012, 15:39
  5. Understanding OQs
    By plaunius in forum Bottom Insulation
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 20:05

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •