DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    In response to the OP about the WBBB vs HH. I had a similar train of thought when I started shopping for my first hammock. I couldnt decide between the 2. Understanding that there were other hammock options out there, those 2 vendors seem best fit for me.

After watching many many videos of people reviewing the WBBB I decided it wasnt for me. Mainly because the one common thing I noticed people having trouble with was the guy-lines interfering with entry and exit of the hammock. It reminded me of my toddler trying to put his own shirt on for the first time. It looked very irritating for the user to deal with these wings/guy-lines that you had to crawl under to enter the hammock. I wanted to make sure I got a hammock that was easy to enter and exit and could be used like a chair as well. Not that you couldnt use a WBBB as a chair but entry and exit just were not appealing.

So on to the HH. Well the bottom entry may seem cool but after watching a bunch of videos and reading peoples comments, I figured out that the bottom entry system would get old real fast. So HH was out? Not quite. HH had a different version of their hammocks and that was the Side entry zip. Perfect. I get the A-sym which I like, but some may not, and I can use it as a chair and get in an out of it with ease.

If I had followed the hype of the crowd, I would have gone with a WBBB and would have had to convince myself every time I crawled in and out of it that I made the right decision. Another factor was the cost. Its quite a bit more cost to get into a complete system with WB then HH. You should compare the cost when all is said an done.

Beware of the hype. I ran out and bought amsteel and made whoopie slings after being convinced it was the only way to go for suspensions. Now im back to Webbing and Rings and the whoopies are packed away.

The first thing you are gonna wanna do after buying a hammock is customize it. Next thing your gonna wanna do is DIY your own.

Hope this helps alittle.

When I first realized that I wanted a hammock for hiking/camping I started reading, found HF, read a lot more, as well as other internet sites, and came across Clark hammocks. I was intrigued with the concept of a seemingly weather proof hammock and the coverage of their largest rain fly. After much thinking on it I just bought it. Remember, I was green as grass, and had made a "sizeable" purchase, I could have been disappointed, but wasn't. I have made six diy hammocks that all are quite comfortable to lay in, but my go-to hammock for sleeping is the clark NX250. I like it so well that I am going to buy another just like it, in case they change it or quit making it. That said, I really believe that if I had first used a WBBB, then I would have liked it as well and would likely never have tried the Clark and thus never found out what a comfortable hammock it is. So bottom line, read, think, try out if you possibly can, and try not to let anyones personal prejudice make up your mind for you.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Don't know what to do? Follow or research asking / selling prices here on the more 'spensive hammocks. There are years of listings . Record some of the prices. See the pattern?

Now estimate shipping charges: about $10-$15. Add $5-$7 for Paypal fees.

Now save up some money, wait for a more 'spensive hammock you'd like to try. If you think the price is right of one on offer and you think the seller honest, try to buy it.

Now sleep in it several times and nap in it even more often. Like it? Keep it.

Feeling promiscuous-- ie wanna sleep around? -- Sell it here, absorbing the above costs, and try a different make or model. IOW, this is your community For Sale craigslist marketplace. But only for camping, hiking, and hammock related stuff. And only for gear.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 08-23-2012 at 09:44. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I must add that the OP as well as other newcomers should try to go to a group hang in your area. Even if you only have a tent, come anyway; you're always welcome. Then you can lay in several different hammocks and find what works for you. Most likely, let someone know in advance, and they will bring an extra hammock for you to sleep in.

Just about everyone here has multiple hammocks. Which brings up the fact that we haven't made up out minds either!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I agree with Xtrekker, "beware the hype". Often in groups of people, and it seems especially true on internet forums is the concept of group think. I find myself doing things almost completely opposite of the conventional wisdom in many regards to the outdoors. Not because I am a contrarian but my years in the woods has taught me a few things that work for me. Every once in a while I will see someone post an idea which flies in the face of the group think and he/she will get pounced on (often in very polite ways) and told it won't/doesn't work or there is a better way. I try to chime in and let them know to try their idea as it has worked for me even though gaggles of others have said it won't. Anyway, sorry for the thread drift. Back to your original question. There is a reason the other companies stay in business. I am not a fan of one of them personally, but I know others who love them, so who am I to speak ill. I have my favorites and they theirs. Happy hanging and welcome to the addiction.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I must add that the OP as well as other newcomers should try to go to a group hang in your area. Even if you only have a tent, come anyway; you're always welcome. Then you can lay in several different hammocks and find what works for you. Most likely, let someone know in advance, and they will bring an extra hammock for you to sleep in.

Just about everyone here has multiple hammocks. Which brings up the fact that we haven't made up out minds either!
    Couldnt agree more. I wish I could make it to a hang. So I did the next best thing. Bought an ENO and then gave it to my brother when I figured out it didnt exactly fit my needs. Little to much air and not wide enough. Okay went to a GT single. Almost the same width but a little longer. Made it longer by doing my own thing. Now I have the lay just the way I want it. Do I need another hammock? No. Do I want to try other hammocks out to see if there is one that might fit my style better? Heck yes.

Remember, its kind of like buying a car. Yes a cars a cars a car. Until that moment you set in the "right" one. Then BAM. You know it.
    I am me and no one else can be me without my permission.

My Youtube page.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    WB...I noticed people having trouble with was the guy-lines interfering with entry and exit of the hammock....

So on to the HH. ...had a different version of their hammocks and that was the Side entry zip. Perfect.

If I had followed the hype..convince myself..I made the right decision.
    HH is a fine hammock, and most folks here think highly of their merits. Your choice is a sound one.

One point though - many many hammockers simply disconnect and remove the side-guy-lines of both HH and WB hammocks. That renders any issue or aggravation with avoiding their lines during entry/exit a moot point, and the hammocks are just as comfortable without them.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor

Amen

Quote Originally Posted by J.Andersons View Post
    Cottages rocks!
    When I have a little more money I'll patronize some of our friends here more. whoopieslings.com, for instance, was awesome and ultralightdesigns was very helpful in my new UL adventure, which has become necessary due to a life-chaning accident.

But I could not pass up a $20 Grand Trunk Ultralight as an intro to hammock camping.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Wow, just looked at the Clarks! What a nice bunch of hammocks.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Frankly, I don't understand why certain cottage vendors have such a devoted following. Brands I shall not mention have an enormous amount of cheerleaders on this forum. Noobs read the overwhelming support for Hammock X, or Tarp X, and feel pressure to follow the herd.

I look for personal service. If I'm interested in a particular vendor's product, and I can pick up the phone and talk to that vendor, then that vendor will likely get my business 'cause they answered the **** phone. My first hammock was a Hennessy. I called the company with questions, and Tom Hennessy answered. He talked to me for an hour about hammocks - and guess what - he got my business. Hennessy is not a cottage vendor, but on this particular occasion, he was.

Some of our cottage vendors not only don't publish a phone number, but aren't too quick answering e-mails either. I tend to avoid those vendors with communication issues, despite awesome reviews of their products on this forum.

Like everyone else on this forum, I recommend products with which I am familiar. I wholeheartedly endorse the products you see in my profile, because I've used them, and above all, those vendors answered the damned phone to answer my questions.

Still, if the product is good - you put up with stuff you would otherwise avoid. I love HawkVittles, but that guy has no phone number. Who has no phone number? It's the 21st century!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast