Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
Frankly, I don't understand why certain cottage vendors have such a devoted following. Brands I shall not mention have an enormous amount of cheerleaders on this forum. Noobs read the overwhelming support for Hammock X, or Tarp X, and feel pressure to follow the herd.

I look for personal service. If I'm interested in a particular vendor's product, and I can pick up the phone and talk to that vendor, then that vendor will likely get my business 'cause they answered the **** phone. My first hammock was a Hennessy. I called the company with questions, and Tom Hennessy answered. He talked to me for an hour about hammocks - and guess what - he got my business. Hennessy is not a cottage vendor, but on this particular occasion, he was.

Some of our cottage vendors not only don't publish a phone number, but aren't too quick answering e-mails either. I tend to avoid those vendors with communication issues, despite awesome reviews of their products on this forum.

Like everyone else on this forum, I recommend products with which I am familiar. I wholeheartedly endorse the products you see in my profile, because I've used them, and above all, those vendors answered the damned phone to answer my questions.

Still, if the product is good - you put up with stuff you would otherwise avoid. I love HawkVittles, but that guy has no phone number. Who has no phone number? It's the 21st century!
I agree a hundred percent. I had some questions and sent an email to Warbonnet and Brandon( I am not sure how he figures into the company but I have seen his name mentioned in many forums) responded and thoroughly answered everyone of my dumb questions. I am not sure I like the WBBB but will give it the full monty if get the funds. I also had a great experience with Black Diamond ( I know it was with a lowly ground dwelling devise), but I called and asked some questions about how to repair something and the guy said I will mail you a new one. I had already told him I purchased it thru REI garage sale. He said that I was honest with him and to just throw out the old one. I have since always looked up BD for items I want to purchase. Even if its a little more I know they are ready to back it up.