Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

trying to sew sevenD to nosseem

i'm embarking on sewing myself a TQ. and lucky enought to have some sevenD from an order placed last year. as a test i and trying to sew it to "no-see-em".but not feeling very sucessful! and the resulting test peice has the sevenD pretty well puckered up. does anyone have a secret method to sew these two materials together? i assume that maintaing the two materials at the same tension, while sewing is the answer---trouble is, the sevenD is as lite as tissue paper at the same time the no-see-em streches by just looking at it!

Images
    Ok so I'm the last person to take advice from as I've not yet started on my quilt, but I noticed that the noseeum only stretches one way. Try cutting your baffle material the other direction. Let me know if it works!

--Matt

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Good advise about netting. Different sources of netting behave differently and in different directions.

Also, loosen the thread tension and use long stitches. I have sewn sevenD quilts with tulle baffles and was successful. It can be done!!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

thanks guys....i had already cut all my baffels and was testing with a scrap peice left over. sure enough, the stretch was in the wrong direction. anticipating what type of stretch any one supplyer stocks, is a bit of a challange, but i've charged ahead and ordered two yards from zpac. in a few days i'll be back at the sewing machine with renewed energy...thanks again.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Not sure how this would work with the sevenD but it worked well for the 1.1 I made my quilts with. Anyways.... I used masking tape or painters tape to tape the two together then sew. Worked really well! Hope that helps some!
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

sounds like a good idea. while waiting on the order, i'll try a bit more experimenting with the sewing machine... at the vey least i hope to have the thread tension adjusted right. this'll give me an oppertunity to try the masking tape trick..thanks for the heads up

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    sewing through tape is not recommended due to the presence of the adhsives. It is very eqasy to foul the needle and by carry over to foul the innards. I do not recommend it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    If the mesh only stretches one way, is that the same as stretching only on the bias (i.e. - two ways, at right angles to each other but at 45° to the weave)?

Also, is it a good idea to align the mesh for ease of sewing or for proper function as a baffle, if different?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Hammock
    DIY Hennesy
    Tarp
    Sml asym & LG Rect
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I have been using 3m double stick tape which works well in many cases and I use super tacky glue from the fabric store for lots of my projects and it works awesome.
    "I wish I had a swing like that in my back yard"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL, 1.1SL traveler
    Tarp
    Edgespin,HGcubenPL
    Insulation
    HG Custom's x10
    Suspension
    Slings
    I try to keep both sides of the fabric taught while feeding. Instead of letting the fabric feed itself
    Ultralite Gear and Apparel

Lukesultralite.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast