SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett

Zing-it too slippery for prusiks?

I recently switched to a zing-it prusiks to hold my tarp to a zing-it rideline. It works ok, but new zing-it is just too slippery for a taught line. The stuff seems to have a silicone coating. Even when wrapped 3-4 times, it still slips. My old amsteel line/loops held the tension fine.

Ill be playing with different types of loops this weekend, but Im looking for any insight. Would amsteel loops hold better on the zing-it line? Or paracord? Or roughed up zing-it?

I dont want to have to go back to figure-9s, the sharp edges dont sit well with me.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    The coating on the Zing-it will wear off some after use and your prussicks will not tend to slip as much.

Another option that I prefer over prussicks for a CRL is the Klemheist knot. I find it holds better. Keep in mind that it is a directional knot and will only hold when pulled from the correct direction.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I had bought some black polyester drawcord from DIY Gear Supply a while back for another project but didn't use it after all. I tried it for the purpose you describe, and it worked great on zing it. It has something of a rough surface that really seems to grab well. It has a tiny core like 550 paracord that I removed to help flatten it out. I don't know if it is worth the cost with shipping alone, but it's only $.21 a yard. Yes, a yard! Scott could probably mail it in a regular envelope if you only wanted a small quantity. I have chopped up what I have so much I doubt I have enough to help you.

http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/p...age/cord-line/

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    If I have 1.75mm zing it, what would be a good diameter rope to use, larger, smaller, or the same for prussics or kleimhest? I am in the process of making me a single line ridgeline for my tarp replicating whoopieslings.com version. So I need prussics or a kleimhest knot, just curious if something bites better than another. Thanks!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Your 1.75 should work just fine.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    If I have 1.75mm zing it, what would be a good diameter rope to use, larger, smaller, or the same for prussics or kleimhest? I am in the process of making me a single line ridgeline for my tarp replicating whoopieslings.com version. So I need prussics or a kleimhest knot, just curious if something bites better than another. Thanks!
    Rule of thumb is prussic line needs to be smaller diameter than what it is attaching to.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL ENO D, WW
    Tarp
    HG Cuben &Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20*TQ & 20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiknhanger View Post
    Rule of thumb is prussic line needs to be smaller diameter than what it is attaching to.
    yep, I've got some gray tech line on 1.75 zing-it and it works great.
    "Life's short, if you don't stop and look around every once in a while you might miss it". FB

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You can use 1.75 mm Zing-It prusiks on your 1.75 mm Zing-It Ridgeline. Instead of three wraps, make four. That's what I use on all my ridgelines.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    The coating on the Zing-it will wear off some after use and your prussicks will not tend to slip as much.

Another option that I prefer over prussicks for a CRL is the Klemheist knot. I find it holds better. Keep in mind that it is a directional knot and will only hold when pulled from the correct direction.

I also prefer the Klemheist. Here is a photo of my tarp with the Klemheist on the tie out-line....

“Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    If you want your friction hitches (prussic, kleimheist, etc) to hold effectively they need to be made from a line smaller in diameter than the line they will be attached to. Their use comes from the climbing world and has been adapted to hammock and tarp use. The usual method to get friction hitches made from the same size line to hold is to use more wraps. 4 or 5 wraps should do it. My continuous tarp ridgeline is made from 2.2mm line and I have prussics made from 1.75mm line and they hold great with 3 wraps as intended. In your case you could also use braided masons line for your friction hitches with your 1.75mm line.

Remember for tarp guy out use it is advantageous to have your friction hitch slip beyond a certain force in order to prevent your tarp from ripping.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast