The ability to camp ANYWHERE is awesome!

I was thinking this morning about how awesome it is to camp ANYWHERE with my hammock.

Confession time.

I often will stealth camp (against the rules but in the spirit of them) close to the road before I get my permit.

I will just park at the trail head and walk in 200 yards and setup camp.

NO ONE knows I'm there and I'm up and out at 7AM so I can get my permit by 8AM (though sometimes I don't bother with the permit if I know the trail will be empty. Last time I saw 3 people in 4 days).

It doesn't negatively impact the environment because I'm strictly LNT. Further, NO ONE knows I'm there as you can't see me unless you literally walk up to my camp.

The other cool thing is that I now have a UL wood stove. I can camp ANYWHERE I want and have a small wood fire. I don't rely on impacted camp sites with fire pits.

I can just go off into the woods at some high traffic areas (like on the side of a hill) and have the ENTIRE place to myself along with a fire.

Now imagine if EVERYONE could do this. The environmental impact would be seriously reduced. No more fire pits. No more impacted camp sites. No more 'fire not permitted' zones because of over use of fires in one specific area (I'm looking at you PCT thru hikers lol!)

Hammocks are the future guys!

Images
    Yes, being able to hang where and when you want is a great benefit. I backpack a lot in the Adirondacks, and being able to avoid the crowded designated campsites adds a lot to the enjoyment of the trips. Certainly ground dwellers could also avoid the designated campsites, but the problem is that most of the landscape has exposed rocks and roots, not suitable for tents. That's why the DEC had to create the designated campsites in the first place.

But, that benefit is no excuse for violating applicable rules and requirements. Following "LNT" is not a license to use areas that you are prohibited from using, or venturing someplace without a permit when a permit is required.

I encourage you to follow the rules about when and where you camp, and never use of area without the required permit if a permit is required.

First, for the sake of your fellow hammock campers. If land managers find that hammock users are regularly violating the rules they might just ban all hammock camping.

Second, there are important environmental reasons for prohibiting camping in some areas, and requiring permits in others.

Third, your breaking of the rules is a slap in the faces of all the other users of that area who do follow the rules.

But most importantly, a man's integrity is measured by what he does when no one is watching. Isn't your's worth more to you than the convenience you might have garnered from breaking the rules?

> Second, there are important environmental reasons for prohibiting camping in some areas, and requiring permits in others.

In those situations where environmental concerns apply I wouldn't camp there.

The issue is that rules are meant to apply to a generic population of people and if you are following the SPIRIT of the rules and not causing any of the negative impact that they were designed to protect against ... then IMO you're fine.

> But most importantly, a man's integrity is measured by what he does when no one is watching. Isn't your's worth more to you than the convenience you might have garnered from breaking the rules?

The only thing I'm doing 'wrong' is breaking the rule. If I've caused no other negative impact then I'm fine with it.

You can take my picture and post it to the front page of the NYTimes and tell my mom... I will still sleep soundly.

Further, I practice trail ethics GREATER than LNT. I'm often packing out crap that other people leave in the back country.

My best was when I packed out like 5-10 lbs of crap let by some moron in Yosemite.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by burtonator View Post
    > Second, there are important environmental reasons for prohibiting camping in some areas, and requiring permits in others.

In those situations where environmental concerns apply I wouldn't camp there.

The issue is that rules are meant to apply to a generic population of people and if you are following the SPIRIT of the rules and not causing any of the negative impact that they were designed to protect against ... then IMO you're fine.

> But most importantly, a man's integrity is measured by what he does when no one is watching. Isn't your's worth more to you than the convenience you might have garnered from breaking the rules?

The only thing I'm doing 'wrong' is breaking the rule. If I've caused no other negative impact then I'm fine with it.

You can take my picture and post it to the front page of the NYTimes and tell my mom... I will still sleep soundly.

Further, I practice trail ethics GREATER than LNT. I'm often packing out crap that other people leave in the back country.

My best was when I packed out like 5-10 lbs of crap let by some moron in Yosemite.
    I'm guessing you have no training in land management, otherwise you'd know that your individual determination about your impact is irrelevant. Anyone and everyone can claim to be following the "spirit" of a rule while ignoring the rule. It's a self-centered claim.

And you've answered my last question about your integrity loud and clear.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Please remember the golden rule here at HF (actually, Terms of Service, item II to be exact.)

II. Be Respectful. This is not negotiable. We treat each other with respect at HammockForums. This is a great community where the norm is to support others in their ideas and projects (including respectful critiques), and not assume offense where none is intended...and therefore not to flame, call names, or create friction in our threads. It's often easy to get frustrated over someone's post and type a quick reply to "set them straight." If the original post is out of line and the follow-up is calm and respectful, then it is appropriate for well-established members to help newbies learn our norms. However, we will not show a lack of respect for each other. Disagreement is fine; disrespectful behavior is not. Please make it easier on the community and police your own posts.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts