WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Whew! Am I glad Part II ended well! Gripping tale, on the edge of my seat (well, my hammock) 'till the finish! Scout surely can take a place among those other ever-faithful canine woods companions, like Lassie and Rin Tin Tin! (Did I just date myself?)

Thanks for a wonderful journey- was like being there!

~ Sky
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    on to hang another day!

Hammock
    Trek Light Single
    Tarp
    JRB Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Kat TQ/HR BQ

Way to go Scout

Way to go Scout - and you to Sargevining

Love the adventures of Scout.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Very nice! Glad you had a great time,,and take care of Scout!
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    holantr
    Nice pics and good story. Looks like you guys had fun
    It was a very enjoyble trip. The good company made it so.

UncleMJM
    Well done Scout. (You to sargevining)
    Thanks. I give all the credit to Scout the Wonder Dog.

widgetdr

You provided the next best thing to being there! Thanks. A bit of storytelling and intrigue always helps for a brief mental escape.
    Thanks, next time I hope you can make it. The LSHT is one of the best kept sdecrets in TX.

HappyCamper
    Whew! Home safe. Now I can sleep tonight! Great story, great pics. Thanks for the adventure!
    You can sleep safe very night knowing that Scout the Wonder Dog is on duty.

Davigilante

My dog, Kenai, approves of Scouts adventures and looks forward to having her own. Though she lacks the Mighty Bark, she is a darn fine retriever and with her double coat and webbed feet, she's amphibious too.
    The Mighty Bark is indeed and awesome power that carries great responsibility, but an amphibian Wonder Dog has powers as well. Use it wisely!

raiffnuke

Great story! Thanks for taking us along for the adventure.
    Thanks. I merely put the words to Scout the Wonder Dogs amazing adventures. Not that he himself seeks the fame. He's actually quite shy.

grannypat

Enjoyed the story. Thanks.
    Thanks, there will be more. Next up: The Abandoned Farm House.

spaceweaseal

That was a fun hike.
    I am happy that Scout The Wounder Dog was there to protect us.
    Yes it was, and the cmaping spots we found made it productive as well. I do think that the 18 miler we talked about might be something to be done after deer season.

I was also thinking about that fence. It can't go all the way around-----

Caribou Bentspoke

The puffers on the oak are an insect gall, probably a wasp gall. Some oaks have so many that they seem a normal part of the tree.
    Thanks. The two prevailing theories was that or a fungus among us.

SkyPainter

Whew! Am I glad Part II ended well! Gripping tale, on the edge of my seat (well, my hammock) 'till the finish! Scout surely can take a place among those other ever-faithful canine woods companions, like Lassie and Rin Tin Tin! (Did I just date myself?)

Thanks for a wonderful journey- was like being there!

~ Sky
    Scout The Wonder Dog was schooled well by his Mama, Punkin The Wonder Dog who first blazed the trails in and around Fort Bend County where Scout now leads the way since she hass passed on to her well deserved reward.

harrellt

on to hang another day!
    At least fr me. Scout bravely volunteers to sleep benenath the hammock, keeping me safe from the dangers to be found lurking behind very bush and tree.

AKA Pete

Way to go Scout - and you to Sargevining

Love the adventures of Scout.
    Thanks. Stay tuned, there will be another quite soon.

Acer

Very nice! Glad you had a great time,,and take care of Scout!
    Being manservant, cook, and driver to one of the bravest dogs to have ever trod the widernesses of the State of Texas is an honor and a duty that is taken very serioulsy. He spends his days in his secret identity of mild manner country dog sleeping under the bungalow, inspecting its envrions for interlopers and malcontents, and his nights sleeping on his bed beside the window. But it is not the sleep of the indolent, he is just saving his energies for when sorely needed to fight for truth, justice, and the American way of camping.
    Last edited by sargevining; 08-27-2012 at 12:26.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Well done kind sir! I think the 18 miler sounds like a great idea. Of course, if it's cooler out, I'll have to bring my trusted side-kick.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images

Epilog

While Scout had a very good time, there were some things he and I learned during this trip.

First off, it was a lesson for me in sticking with one's first plans rather than trying to improve on them. The original plan called for me to bring the Hennesey and to loan the ENO DN to Mike along with a new buginator and GT Hybrid as a tarp. But then I came across a sale on Byers Travellers at Academy for $9.98. I bought a couple for my son and grandchildren, and thought it might be a nice gesture to give him one, that would also allow me to try out the ENO (it is for my Beloved and never been out). The hammock turned out to be too short for Mike and he left on Satruday morning rather than spend another uncomfrotable night. I also focused on putting the new plans into effect, and neglected to check off some other essential items that I din't bring that I should have---like a map.

I also calculated that this trip would be a "base camp" scenario so I decided to pack heavy. I brought along entirely too much stuff. That much stuff might work well for a four to ten day basecamp situation, but not for what was essentially an overnight (even though we slept out there two nights---the first night almost didn't count). It took me too long to set up and take down, that the camp looked like a trash heap. Aggravating the situation is that Mike had packed in some of the gear,

OTOH, some of the stuff I brought was for the baking exercise. I thouroughly enjoyed both the process and the result and have determined that whatever the scenario, I'm going to carry the bake kit, even if only for myself. While it may take a bit more time in the morning, having a steaming hot biscuit for breakfast is, I think, worth it. When camping with others, I'll bring along the bigger pot and the small tins I made for making multiple biscuits.

I've also decided that pre-packing is a waste of effort. I need to strip my packs of every item in them and then pack for a specific trip. I spent all Thursday night and part of Friday morning looking for my Sawyer, and when I couldn't find it, brought the big ol Ktahdyn Base Camp filter instead. Sunday night I found that I'd packed the durnting in a pocket in the pack weeks ago and had completely forgetten it was there.

The Molly Mac Pack worked well for the heavy pack scenario, but I need more straps, and probably should re-think some of the pockets I used. I don't think that I'd use anything else to pack for an extended hike, especially with a base camp. I also need to raise the lower bag up a couple of rows so it doesn't slap me on the butt while walking. The bad news, of course, is that I probably won't be able to take as many trips that would require the kind of load carrying capacity and adaptability of that pack system as I would like to.

Most importantly, trying to save time by pre-packing Scout's pack is probably the dumbest idea I've had in a long time. It goes on smoothly when empty, and he has no problems with it, but trying to get it on him full will never, ever happen. I also need to cinch it up a bit tighter on hi so it doesn't slide bakc and forth as much. He spends a lot of time in the weeds on the side of the trail sniffing things and marking it and they tend to drag on it.
    Last edited by sargevining; 08-27-2012 at 15:09.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Well done kind sir! I think the 18 miler sounds like a great idea. Of course, if it's cooler out, I'll have to bring my trusted side-kick.
    I do, too. The best time might be in January, right after deer season ends. It will be cold enough to make the hiking and camping comfortable but challenging. The campsites that Spaceweasel and I found are at right about the half way mark, close enough to that pond that it would make for a good water source, and are close enough to the main road that dropping off and caching supplies is definately doable with just a little bit of planning.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12