Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Hammocking on the AT

    Hey guys,
    I am going to hike the AT this upcoming march and was wondering if anyone has thru-hiked the AT with a hammock. I have been a few 3+ day hikes and have used an ENO and loved it. I haven't had the opportunity to use a tarp and didnt know how well they held up in the rain. I would really like use a hammock on my hike but didnt know if a tent would be easier/lighter. Any information would be helpful.

    Thanks
    -Zach-

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Backpacker UL
    Tarp
    Stock Diamond Tarp
    Insulation
    HHSS or HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    263
    Yes, Zach, there are quite a few people who have hammocked the AT. Dutch, I believe, did it some years ago. Here's his journal: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=26845

    You can search this site to see who else keeps a hammock in their gear.

  3. #3
    Senior Member TheBrewGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    All HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchHook
    Posts
    162
    Hey Zach,
    A couple buddies and I did 54 miles in Virginia back in March, and my friend used his Eno setup the entire time. There was never a shortage of places to set it up. The only place you'd have a hard time using a hammock is above treeline like the White Mountains in NH. I'm planning on doing the 40 miles in Maryland in about a month with my hammock setup. I'll let you know how it goes.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Buffalo Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pensacola
    Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Posts
    864
    Images
    97
    Hey Zach, there is a sub-forum under the General tab called Long distance Travel with a Hammock. Lots of AT-hammocking threads and info there.

    I, too, will hammock when I thru on the AT. Should not be difficult, but good luck to you.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

    “The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

  5. #5
    Member Scout620's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    St Augustine, FL
    Hammock
    DH Freebird, WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Tadpole, HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UQ Tewa Antifreeze
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Posts
    83
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    Hey Zach, there is a sub-forum under the General tab called Long distance Travel with a Hammock. Lots of AT-hammocking threads and info there.

    I, too, will hammock when I thru on the AT. Should not be difficult, but good luck to you.
    Thanks for the info on this sub-forum

  6. #6
    Senior Member affreeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Quincy, MA
    Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    213
    I thru'ed the AT with my hammock in '09. Used the hammock every single night on the trail except through GSMNP, where hikers are required to sleep in the shelters, and through the Whites where I did work-for-stay and slept on the tables in the dining room of some of the Huts.

    In my opinion, if you want to go with the absolutely lightest pack possible you would use a minimalist UL single-wall tent or a tarp. But if you are willing to carry a bit more weight a hammock is more comfortable and it is definitely easier to find a place to hang than to find a decent tenting spot. It also makes it easy to, for example, stop at a shelter to cook dinner then walk on a few more miles until evening falls and hang somewhere along the side of the trail.
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

    Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    allen@allenf.com
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

  7. #7
    Senior Member TheBrewGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    All HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchHook
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
    I thru'ed the AT with my hammock in '09. Used the hammock every single night on the trail except through GSMNP, where hikers are required to sleep in the shelters, and through the Whites where I did work-for-stay and slept on the tables in the dining room of some of the Huts.
    thru-hikers sleeping on the dining tables? Makes me rethink ever eating on those tables lol

  8. #8
    Senior Member affreeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Quincy, MA
    Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrewGuy View Post
    thru-hikers sleeping on the dining tables? Makes me rethink ever eating on those tables lol
    No kidding! I remember waking early in the morning at Galehead Hut and there was an early-rising woman sitting at the table I was sleeping on drinking her morning coffee.
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

    Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    allen@allenf.com
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

  9. #9
    Loki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Western, NC
    Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    Strap'BinerWhoopie
    Posts
    2,414
    Images
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachSimmons View Post
    Hey guys,
    I am going to hike the AT this upcoming march and was wondering if anyone has thru-hiked the AT with a hammock. I have been a few 3+ day hikes and have used an ENO and loved it. I haven't had the opportunity to use a tarp and didnt know how well they held up in the rain. I would really like use a hammock on my hike but didnt know if a tent would be easier/lighter. Any information would be helpful.

    Thanks
    -Zach-
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Loner2012AT/videos
    He is a HF member and has videoBlogged his trip this year. He's nearing the Whites now. Its been great watching his progress the past few months and I suggest you watch from the beginning if you decide to.
    - Loki my videos
    2015 Hot Springs Hang - join us!
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir


  10. #10
    Senior Member BEAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    TENNESSEE
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Posts
    498
    Images
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Loner2012AT/videos
    He is a HF member and has videoBlogged his trip this year. He's nearing the Whites now. Its been great watching his progress the past few months and I suggest you watch from the beginning if you decide to.
    I have been watching also. It is funny how he has yogied gifts from people either by accident or on purpose it has been great to see folks send him stuff to get him along the trail.
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Similar Threads

  1. REV's Hammocking PSA!!!
    By default in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-25-2014, 18:09
  2. Hammocking with a dog
    By nryche in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 12-11-2013, 22:28
  3. New to Hammocking
    By Fan in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-11-2013, 10:02
  4. Hammocking with a Dog
    By kayak karl in forum Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-16-2010, 07:27
  5. Now THAT'S hammocking
    By Mustardman in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-05-2008, 07:48

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •