Grand Trunk Nano
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Summerlite/WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    Like these videos a lot and just goes to show you dont need a bunch of stuff if you are just walking.

I have some questions for him, but dont know his member name here.
    Did not find Loner.
    Maybe some of you guys could answer if you know.

Water, how did he treat it. I think I heard him say water tablets or drops in one of his drop boxes.

No bug net, no head net etc that I saw.
    How did he deal with bugs. Only thing I can think is repellant.

How did he upload his videos to the internet. Cant figure that one out totally unless he used computers at the hotels he stayed at or did he have a smart phone etc ?? There is one part where he is at a hotel and talking about uploading to YT.

What camera and How did he charge his camera. He is moving along and making some miles and using a lot of camera time.
    Seems like he would need a lot of charge time.

Did he carry a smart phone cell phone etc ??

Clothing seems skimpy.
    Only insulated warm thing I saw was a montbell vest.
    Sorry again for the late reply. But found this thread very interesting and very suprised so many people were wondering about my gear. Here's some awnsers...

-My trail name is Loner but my Whiteblaze and Hammock forums id is SnakeSesssion.

-Water treatment were tablets at first then changed to aquamira. But did not treat much from the Whites - on. Only once did the water look really bad.

-Nope I did not have a bug net the whole hike. There were a few really bad nights with little sleep and would recomend having the net mailed to you in the summer - then get rid of it when it cooler again.

-I did carry a little thing of bug spray when I would find it in a hiker box. But no sun screen.

-No cell phone (except the last 200 miles).

-Camera - Nikon Easy pix that takes two AA batteries. They last about a week.

-And yes my clothing was very skimmpy but guess I just don't need to carry as much as others. When it was in the 20s I would wear all three layers and sometimes my poncho as well.

Hope this info helps out and good luck to other AT hikes in hammocks! Also thanks to all for the support on the trail! Loner
    Happy hangin! Jeff, aka Loner, aka SnakeSession

Hiking/Hammock videos on YouTube... http://www.youtube.com/user/Loner2012AT

Thanks,

I found a lot of that information as I went through the videos but its nice to have it here too.

Did you have a gear list with weights of what you took on the trip ??

BTW watched every video and loved them all.
    Tried to post some comments on YT but they would not stick.

Nice going and thanks for the hard work and YT uploads.

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro 56"
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    HG UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    DG WS + Dutch Hook
    Thanks for all the great videos Loner. I thru hiked in 1997 and it brought back great memories. Every March I fantasize about heading south to Springer again. Last time with a tent....next time with a hammock. I love the fact that you didn't have a bugnet. I'm gonna bet you get a kick out of suffering...takes one to know one. Happy Trails...Bones

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbridge/Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hi Loner,

I watched all your videos while I was dreaming and planning for my own thru-hike. I start Monday, and can't wait! I wish I could get my pack weight down as light as yours was--I think of myself as a minimalist, but stuff keeps finding its way into my pack! I'm at about 28 pounds now, I think, (with food, water, and fuel) and would really love to shave off a few pounds. Oh well, I think after the first week I will be finding some stuff that could be considered optional!

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaver View Post
    Hi Loner,

I watched all your videos while I was dreaming and planning for my own thru-hike. I start Monday, and can't wait! I wish I could get my pack weight down as light as yours was--I think of myself as a minimalist, but stuff keeps finding its way into my pack! I'm at about 28 pounds now, I think, (with food, water, and fuel) and would really love to shave off a few pounds. Oh well, I think after the first week I will be finding some stuff that could be considered optional!
    If you want to post up a gear list with weights I'm sure the fine folks here wouldn't mind giving it a look over for some last minute suggestions.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DH Freebird, WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Tadpole, HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UQ Tewa Antifreeze
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    Hey Zach, there is a sub-forum under the General tab called Long distance Travel with a Hammock. Lots of AT-hammocking threads and info there.

I, too, will hammock when I thru on the AT. Should not be difficult, but good luck to you.
    Thanks for the info on this sub-forum

Hammock
    DH Freebird, WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Tadpole, HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UQ Tewa Antifreeze
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Never slept on the ground or a shelter deck once. Not once!
    Hey Cannibal, Was this for a thru hike, if so great news! How did you manage hanging each night in the White's?

Hang angle

Hello,

Been reading awhile but just recently signed up to see pictures and be able to post. I've been transitioning over the past few years from a traditional heavy pack hiker to more lightweight and now to hammock experimenting. I've spent about 10 nights in my hammock so far.

I also loved Jeff's youtube videos - enjoyed the set more than any of the (20+) books/journals I've read on AT through hiking. Thanks Jeff for being so transparent and willing to do so much extra work for others' enjoyment, it is very refreshing.

I also read some of Certain's journal (based on the recommendation in this thread) and looked at her "hang" pics. I noticed that in most her hang angle seems to be very small (i.e. very tightly hung), I'd estimate 5-10 degrees rather than what I thought was the universally accepted 25-30 degrees. What am I missing?

thanks

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    While empty, mine too looks very tight, like you say about 10 deg.
    The 35 deg is "ideal" in that it puts the least stress on the trees. However I find that uncomfortable. The ridgeline is (on my WBBB) is supposed to be able to be easily twisted, mine is VERY tight, because, agan, I find loose very uncomfortable!
    Hammocking is VERY subjective, Mostly, what we post here are guidelines, a place to start if you will, then you need to fine tune for YOU!
    I CAN'T sleep in Firewalker's rig, he hates mine! We both feel our own set up is perfect! We are close enough in size as to not matter. But 15 min into a nap / test in his & my back is "SCREAMING" He says the same aboout mine. He hangs slack, mine is tight.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Ozark Trail Cocoon
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Man I would love to do this!

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345